Powering my new Beyers (DT 770 80ohm)
Sep 15, 2014 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DavePCCH

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. 

I finally decided to jump onto the high quality headphone ship with the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm Pros. They're really really nice so far, and after a bit of wearing them, I think I'll get used to their clamping pressure more as well (but I've already bent them out a bit). 

Not to distract from why I'm writing this post, but I'm considering getting an amp. So far, I'm just running them from my laptop and Zune HD, and really pleased with the volume and sound. How much difference will an amp or amp/dac make?

I just bought an old Sony receiver / amplifier, and when I connect it to my laptop and power my headphones through the receiver I get really weird cracking if the volume on my laptop or Zune (so the source) is more than 5% or so. Also, there is a LOT of static noise, which I basically do not hear at all with either the laptop or the zune. Is it worth it to power it through the receiver at all and can I get rid of the static?

I've thought about the Schiit Amp/DAC Stack, but maybe only the DAC and then into the receiver is an option?

What do you guys suggest?

Regards,
Dave

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 2
Seems like the Sony receiver has issues.
FiiO E11K headphone amplifier, $60, would work with laptops and smart phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back