Powering my Denon D5000s
Aug 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TGTBATQ

Head-Fier
I currently only have a fiio e10 that i purchased as a placeholder, now that i've got some extra cash to spare, i can finally upgrade to a nice amp that these headphones deserve. my spending limit is around 3-400$, i mainly listen to electro (justice/daft punk/danger/the xx etc) and metal (a day to remember/memphis may fire, etc) so basically, things with quite a bit of bass.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

So you got the NFB 16 with the NFB 15? or are they two separates and you alternate?

Two separate pieces of gear.  The NFB-16 is battery powered and has line-in (means you can use it's amp only with another source if u like).  Or you can plug it in to your PC.

The NFB-15.1 is an all-in-one DAC, headamp, preamp.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 16

Two separate pieces of gear.  The NFB-16 is battery powered and has line-in (means you can use it's amp only with another source if u like).  Or you can plug it in to your PC.

so, of the two, since it's sitting only at my computer and i won't be taking it anywhere, would you suggest the 16?

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 16
If you're not going to move it, I would recommend the NFB-15.1.  You can also change the digital filters with the 15.1 from the front panel, to give you a little different sound flavoring.  It really is a nice total package.  I love 'em both but I move my 16 around with iPods and PC.  That pic I posted with iPad, there are no power cords which is great...

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 16
If you're not going to move it, I would recommend the NFB-15.1.  You can also change the digital filters with the 15.1 from the front panel, to give you a little different sound flavoring.  It really is a nice total package.  I love 'em both but I move my 16 around with iPods and PC.  That pic I posted with iPad, there are no power cords which is great...

sorry to maybe seem dumb, but is that the NFB-15 on the site? I don't see a 15.1. I've also been reading about a lot of people getting the Schiit Asgard, do you know how it compares to this? edit: i've also seen a few people get the Pico amp, and there's a few for sale in the FS section.

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

sorry to maybe seem dumb, but is that the NFB-15 on the site? I don't see a 15.1.I've also been reading about a lot of people getting the Schiit Asgard, do you know how it compares to this?

No worries...Yes, when you click on the NFB-15 it shows the pics etc. for the 15.1.  In reference to the Asgard, could not tell you, since I don't own it, but it is only a headphone amp.  You would need a dac to connect to your PC.  The 15.1 is an all-in-one (dac & headphone amp & preamp)...

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #9 of 16

No worries...Yes, when you click on the NFB-15 it shows the pics etc. for the 15.1.  In reference to the Asgard, could not tell you, since I don't own it, but it is only a headphone amp.  You would need a dac to connect to your PC.  The 15.1 is an all-in-one (dac & headphone amp & preamp)...

awesome. just a few more questions before i order it. any experience with the Pico amp? and also, do you have experience with the O2/0DAC combo? i've heard pretty good things from both of those as well. There's so much to choose from, i'm sorry if i'm being annoying, just want to get the best sound possible from my denons :s

Aug 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

So in other words the NFB-16 can't be used as a standalone DAC + AMP at the same time?

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
So in other words the NFB-16 can't be used as a standalone DAC + AMP at the same time?

Yes.  The NFB-16 can be used as a standalone DAC & amp via usb.  It has line-in's as well (RCA & mini) to connect a source to (ipod etc.).  The only thing you can't do with it is connect another amp to it.  That would require DAC out (line out).  The NFB-15.1 takes care of that.  The NFB-16 was brought out as a portable solution.  I have also used the 16 as a pre-out to my powered speakers with my iPod Touch (pic)..

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 16

Yes.  The NFB-16 can be used as a standalone DAC & amp via usb.  It has line-in's as well (RCA & mini) to connect a source to (ipod etc.).  The only thing you can't do with it is connect another amp to it.  That would require DAC out (line out).  The NFB-15.1 takes care of that.  The NFB-16 was brought out as a portable solution.  I have also used the 16 as a pre-out to my powered speakers with my iPod Touch (pic)..

and this NFB-15 will be a major improvement over the fiio e10, right? :wink:

Aug 17, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

and this NFB-15 will be a major improvement over the fiio e10, right? :wink:

That pic is of the NFB-16 (for SHP..).  The NFB-15.1 is different.  I don't own the E10 so I can't speculate, but from the specs alone, I would say it would send it deep into the Atlantic Ocean...IMO..

Cheers!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back