Powering down the Amp, dangerous for headphone ? (Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amp)
Apr 3, 2011 at 5:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Megaclocker

New Head-Fier
I've read somewhere that powering the amp down while the headphone are pluged in could potencially harm the headphones ?

Is that true ?
Is there a way to bypass that problem ?

Thanks a lot !
Eric

I'm using AKG K702 if that makes a difference.

Apr 3, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 10
That's interesting. I always power down my amp while my headphones are plugged in, but nothing has ever gone wrong.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #3 of 10
I like to leave mine plugged in so it doesnt wear the socket..........

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #4 of 10
I always heard that you're supposed to always have headphones plugged into the jack of a tube amp when its turned on, because it can damage the circuitry. Perhaps somebody else can elaborate on this as I don't know the full reason

Apr 3, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #5 of 10
Seemed kind of silly to remove the headphone jack everything I power it down.

If someone got an explanation about that one it would be appreciated.

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #6 of 10
The key thing to do is to turn the volume control right down before powering up/down, or when inserting/removing the headphones.

Then there is no harm at all in leaving the headphones in all the time.

Apr 4, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #7 of 10
A lot of amp sellers remind me to plug the headphones into amps after 5 seconds after you turn them on. Don't know how it works...

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 10
All I do is turn the volume to the lowest setting whenever I power them down/up or switch cans. Imagine if it's the same with speakers and you have to undo the screw terminals on the back of the amp or the speaker cabinets everytime; or worse, try doing that in a car where the amp is probably behind a board precisely to cover up the terminals for "aesthetic neatness."

Apr 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #9 of 10
excessive DC Offset is the main danger. this is what causes the 'thump' when an amp is turned on or off.

if a circuit is prone to wide swings, it will be recommended to keep headphones unplugged when powering the amp on and off.

protection circuits, or relays, are often used in such situations. these are designed to basically keep the headphones disconnected for a few seconds after the amp is powered up, even though plugged in.

it's not really a big concern for the vast majority. i've only ever heard of this being an issue with some DIY amps, and even then mostly in the prototyping stage.

May 31, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 10
This is something I read on a thread for the Bravo Audio V2 amp on rockgrotto:

But DON'T leave your headphones plugged in when you turn on or off this amp. The output coupling capacitor will charge/discharge through your headphones and there will be several volts of DC across them during this time. 
font]
 (Which can kill them, and explains the 'pop' heard when turning it on/off)

Read more: http://rockgrotto.proboards.com/thread/5297?q=headphones#ixzz2UtyFgQeY

Users who are viewing this thread

Back