Powered Speakers for Computer- recommendations?
Aug 28, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quad 12Ls are powered, and would be a huge step up from typical computer speakers.

Grawk, I'm not so sure that the Quad12L is a powered speaker :
http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/model.php...tent=3#details

Thanks for those suggestions islewind. What would you refer to as "overall higher performance" about studio monitors compared to a passive bookshelf?
Of course the monitors are great value for money, having their own matched amplifier builtin, and perhaps are tuned to work well in the near-field environment without the use of stands, but what in your view is markedly better about them? Or did I answer my own question
tongue.gif

Thanks

Aug 28, 2007 at 8:44 AM Post #19 of 26
if you're looking for half decent pc speakers, i'd wager that klipsch, logitech, and swan are your best bets...

and among the others already mentioned (and likely others that haven't), if you're looking for a set of powered bookshelfs that simply require a line out from a pc...although they're discontinued, if you can find a pair of paradigm active 20's or 40's, they're a nice speaker:

http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...ain&1141675574

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/597/
http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/l...active-40.html

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Audioengine A5 speakers are also quite well recevied in reviews. They also have a sub output and ipod connectivity.

There seems to be two schools of thought about studio monitors, while some enjoy them for their flat unhyped audio reproduction, some find them unmusical and cold. I havent auditioned enough monitors to have formed an opinion of my own, but its something to keep in mind.

I think that's exactly what I was thinking about when I was hesitant to go for a pair of studio monitors. I can't say I dislike the "flat" sound really, but you're just turning up some music to be enjoyed anywhere in the room it doesn't really sound right. For me, they're really only enjoyable right in front of them, while I'm actually concentrating on what I'm listening to.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards the Aego M's I think. The swan speakers are the same price range, but without the sub, and only 20 watts. I'm just afraid they will sound weak on the bottom end, although probably better everywhere else...

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.quad-hifi.co.uk/model.php...=5&model_id=23

Thanks grawk, I hadnt seen the active Quad speakers mentioned before.

T.B.N, perhaps these are a more "musical" active speaker option for you.
Althernatively, Wharfedale also makes an active version of the Diamond 8.1 which is a bit cheaper and also the same as their passive hi-fi speaker.

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:36 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.B.N. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that's exactly what I was thinking about when I was hesitant to go for a pair of studio monitors. I can't say I dislike the "flat" sound really, but you're just turning up some music to be enjoyed anywhere in the room it doesn't really sound right. For me, they're really only enjoyable right in front of them, while I'm actually concentrating on what I'm listening to.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards the Aego M's I think. The swan speakers are the same price range, but without the sub, and only 20 watts. I'm just afraid they will sound weak on the bottom end, although probably better everywhere else...

Active monitors with good bass response will generally require woofers between 5" and 6.5".The Event Electronics ALP5s I am using are good and I recommend them.I like them better with jazz than rock and they do sound best when sitting in front of them.I believe the reason that jazz really shines is because jazz is recorded as acoustic music in real time.Rock on the other hand is generally recorded using studio trickery and good monitors have a way of sniffing out the recording flaws.Guitar Center has lots of active monitors and the best way to shop is to listen first.

Aug 29, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #23 of 26
Well, I'm still undecided between getting a pair of active monitors, or getting a 2.1 desktop-style system. Here are my choices so far...

2.1: AcousticEnergy Aego M or BlueSky EXO 2.1

Monitors: M-Audio BX5a, Swan M200

any other suggestions?

Sep 1, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.B.N. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'm still undecided between getting a pair of active monitors, or getting a 2.1 desktop-style system. Here are my choices so far...

2.1: AcousticEnergy Aego M or BlueSky EXO 2.1

Monitors: M-Audio BX5a, Swan M200

any other suggestions?

If you are interested in 5" active monitors you really need to listen to the Event ALP5 and Yamaha HS50M. 6.5" monitors tend to be more expensive but the Alesis M1 Active 620 is a very good value.Again,listen before you buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back