Powered Speakers for Computer- recommendations?
Aug 27, 2007 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

T.B.N.

100+ Head-Fier
I want to get something a little better than your average "computer speakers," but I don't want to get a receiver/amp. I was thinking some small powered speakers would do the trick. I've heard that the M-Audio's are pretty good from someone. I don't want to get a sub, so hopefully the pair that I choose will be full sounding enough. Oh, and this will be for connecting directly into a PC sound card...

Any advice? I don't want to spend a whole lot, but I definitely want to have a large step up from the cheap 2.1 computer speakers I'm used to...

Thanks!

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 26
hmm, I've never heard of AE. The speakers I was referring to are just cheap Altec Lansing's that came with the computer. I noticed that the AE website is from the UK- do they sell them in the US?

Thanks

*edit*
I posted before I looked around the website. I see they have some online stores that have them around $200. How would they compare to something like these M-audio monitors?

I like that the Aego M has a sub, if those small satellites are loud enough to match it. It does say that they areheavy though, and I've been impressed by smaller speakers with heavy metal outsides. Obviously I'm not an expert on this stuff...

Aug 27, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 26
Cool, I think I might just get a pair of those. Any other alternatives? Do they sound good for movies and games, as well as music?

Well, now I'm stuck between the Aego M's and the Blue Sky Exo 2.1 speakers. The Blue Sky ones are more expensive, at $350. Also I was considering the Swan M200, although it doesn't have a subwoofer. Hmmm......

Aug 27, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #7 of 26
Don't underestimate those little satellites; they can get LOUD.

The AEs are quite versatile so they handle games/movies just as good. However, if you're looking for that thunderous boom usually associated with subs, look away. I'm not saying that it's weak on bass, but a more realistic presentation instead of an exaggerated one akin to my previous Klipsch Promedias.

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #9 of 26
my advice ebay for second hand speakers and amp the sort my distance thing is your best friend thus no postage, i got this set up for the sum total of £75 and it blow any computer speaker ive heard out of the water!

IMG_3778.jpg

details in my sig
my 2p on computer speakers.

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #10 of 26
Yes, a pair of decent passive bookshelf monitors powered by an amp will blow any PC speakers away; I myself am planning to transition to such a setup. However, I believe the OP prefers the minimalist approach with something simple yet stands above the average "PC speaker".

Aug 28, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #11 of 26
A nice amp and some large speakers are great if you've got the space, but there is problem with the soundstage if you are sitting to close to full-size speakers. AE is a great brand, I haven't heard the Aego, but I own some AESprits, and I love them.

I'd consider one of the powered nearfield studio monitors out there, I can personally reccomend the Event ALP5, the Alesis M1, and for big bucks, anything from Genelec. Sweetwater is a good place to shop for them.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #13 of 26
I wish I could post a photo, but I don't have a photo handy and my scanner was not compatable with the iMac I recently switched to, and I haven't bought a new one. I'll just have to tell you: sitting to either side of my iMac are the Proton 300 on the left, and the Proton 301 on the right. They are alike except that the 300 has a tuner/preamp module. Both units are biamped, and total power is 100 watts per side. Sound is amazing for near-field listening. The down side is that eBay or luck are about the only ways to find a pair. For me, it was sheer dumb luck. They're roughly shoebox sized. If you don't get a pair of these, do consider powered speaks, just not those tiny, tinny things most people have.

Laz

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #14 of 26
The Audioengine A5 speakers are also quite well recevied in reviews. They also have a sub output and ipod connectivity.

There seems to be two schools of thought about studio monitors, while some enjoy them for their flat unhyped audio reproduction, some find them unmusical and cold. I havent auditioned enough monitors to have formed an opinion of my own, but its something to keep in mind.

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Audioengine A5 speakers are also quite well recevied in reviews. They also have a sub output and ipod connectivity.

There seems to be two schools of thought about studio monitors, while some enjoy them for their flat unhyped audio reproduction, some find them unmusical and cold. I havent auditioned enough monitors to have formed an opinion of my own, but its something to keep in mind.

Well said - it's so true, many people don't like flat response and sometimes even label it uninvolving or boring, preferring a little hype. I'd say that though that's a real enough question for higher-end stuff, the overall higher performance of most decent small studio monitors isn't going to be matched by much of their similarly-priced competition.

That being said, I'm personally interested in the AE AEGO M and Swans M200 for my next computer speakers in the $200 range (verus my previous choice at that price, the Alesis M1. For an under $100 choice, I'd go with the M-Audio AV20, on the other side, in the $300 range there's the M-Audio MX5A, The event ALP5, or the aformentioned Audioengines. The Audioengines have a lot of nice features and nice build quality, but my one chance to listen to them was in a very noisy environment, so I can't give an informed opinion on the sound. I've heard only good comments about them, though. If you want to go up even higher, at about $700 a pair the Tannoy Reveal 5A is a great active speaker, though I'd be interested in checking out the Swans T200 also if I was going to spend that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back