Powered Monitors in the $750 - $1,000 Range
Feb 11, 2006 at 10:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

JDUBS

100+ Head-Fier
Hey All

I'm looking for a pair of powered monitors for use with my computer. The source will be Foobar with SRC upsampling feeding a USB DAC (not sure which one at this point).

Important to me is flat requency response and the ability to get into the 30hz. range. Not sure if that's very realistic or not.

Looking for any and all recommendations. Thanks everyone!!

-Jim

Feb 11, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 34
This will get you close: http://cgi.ebay.com/Mackie-HR824-Stu...QQcmdZViewItem

The other standard recommendation for an 8" monitor (the only way you'll bust 50hz) is one of the event series. The 20/20bas is one of the old standbys in this category.

Fancier brands like genelec and adam or tannoy and dyne are not in this ballpark price, not if you want bass. Both the 20/20bas and hr824 are very solid performers, though. You can hear more options at your local guitar center or what not.

Feb 12, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 34
Best bet is to make your way to guitar center and listen away. If you don't listen to acoustic music, your options are much broader.

Feb 12, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 34
When you're at guitarcenter, you should also try to hear a Mackie HR624 with subwoofer. I liked that combination a lot.

Feb 12, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 34
Thanks all for the responses! Looks like i'll be making a trip to the local Guitar Center with some music in hand.

ooheadsoo...good to hear from you, man! Hope all is well on your end.

Question for you...what are your thoughts on powered monitors in this price range vs. the KIT61 from Diycable? The KIT61 digs into the 30's with that Extremis driver they use and a pair only costs $450. That would leave some cash for suitable amplification.

-Jim

Edited: Forgot to add in the price of the PE cabinets....still seems like a reasonably priced alternative.

I'd REALLY like to put the SP Tech. AV-1 kit on my short list...but I think they would need the help of a sub.

Feb 12, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 34
Makes sense to find a monitor with an Adire audio woofer if you are looking for bass
biggrin.gif
The measurements provided on the site look pretty good too. It's also shielded which is pretty important. Haven't read anything about 'em though.

Feb 17, 2006 at 12:57 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Jim have you come across any new info or did you go with the KIT61?

HiGHFLYiN9

I haven't decided that the KIT61 is definitely the way I'm headed, although it seems like the most attractive alternative at this point. There is lots of good stuff on audiocircle.com.

One thing I'm concerned about is that its rear-ported....may present a problem when used close to a wall (which is how my computer is arranged).

-Jim

Feb 17, 2006 at 1:25 AM Post #14 of 34
I still recommend the mackies if you can give them a listen. The waveguide does some things the kit61 can't do. There also seem to be genelecs at affordable prices on ebay. Have fun, JDUBS, everything is best just before you buy the speakers
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh yeah, now that diy is on the table, have you considered the SP Tech av1 kit? If you get all the trimmings to make construction easier, I think it's $850. Info on audiocircle. I'm planning on getting the av2 once I feel that I have earned it for myself.

Feb 17, 2006 at 1:42 AM Post #15 of 34
I've been doing some more research, I still have no direction which way I want to go (passives or actives / big money or little money / DIY or prefab), right now I just so happen to be researching active monitors. I'd like to hit guitar center at some point in time and have a listen to some of the monitors there. I've been reading some good things about the KRK V8 and Dynaudio BM5A. They are both about a grand. Be nice if they sold kits for these things
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back