Powerbeats Pro (Truly Wireless IEM from Apple/Beats)
May 8, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #316 of 337
The pbp adjustment is critical for their positive usage.

First is the choice of ear tip.

Second is the angle arround the ear of the ear hook.

Third is the angle of ear hook laterally.

For me the angle of the ear hook laterally needed, made refitting into the charging case problematic. When in the charging case my adjustment has the ear hooks making the alighnment for connection for charging a problem.

The newest pbp (4) has the same sound signature but without a charging case fit problem and about a decrease of $100 in retail cost.

May 10, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #317 of 337
The pbp adjustment is critical for their positive usage.

First is the choice of ear tip.

Second is the angle arround the ear of the ear hook.

Third is the angle of ear hook laterally.

For me the angle of the ear hook laterally needed, made refitting into the charging case problematic. When in the charging case my adjustment has the ear hooks making the alighnment for connection for charging a problem.

The newest pbp (4) has the same sound signature but without a charging case fit problem and about a decrease of $100 in retail cost.

Powerbeats4 seems like a good value, but I don’t think I could tolerate having a wire when the truly wireless Pro option exists for ~ $50 more.

May 10, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #318 of 337
Powerbeats4 seems like a good value, but I don’t think I could tolerate having a wire when the truly wireless Pro option exists for ~ $50 more.
Choice is what makes things interesting, I prefer pbp 4 for having the wire which allows to not lose it as easily as the two seperate pbp pro's. I prefer the 15 hour battery time too and the ability to turn off battery power when hanging around either your neck or in a pocket. The pbp pro without charging case are more difficult to store while not in immediate use.

We seem to be both winners. :)

May 10, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #319 of 337
Choice is what makes things interesting, I prefer pbp 4 for having the wire which allows to not lose it as easily as the two seperate pbp pro's. I prefer the 15 hour battery time too and the ability to turn off battery power when hanging around either your neck or in a pocket. The pbp pro without charging case are more difficult to store while not in immediate use.

We seem to be both winners. :)

The critical flaw with the wire on BeatsX was that it audibly hit against the back of my neck when I ran, which caused the audio to cut out multiple times in a lap. I assume the design is more refined on Powerbeats4 and I do see the utility of having a wire for some people, but I don’t imagine they’ll sell that many of them with the Pro model being available (until they’re discounted on Black Friday).

Interestingly, Powerbeats Pro has been a massive step-up in the audio department compared to BeatsX. It was smart of them to use the same linear piston drivers in Powerbeats4.

Last edited:
May 10, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #320 of 337
The critical flaw with the wire on BeatsX was that it audibly hit against the back of my neck when I ran, which caused the audio to cut out multiple times in a lap. I assume the design is more refined on Powerbeats4 and I do see the utility of having a wire for some people, but I don’t imagine they’ll sell that many of them with the Pro model being available (until they’re discounted on Black Friday).

Interestingly, Powerbeats Pro has been a massive step-up in the audio department compared to BeatsX. It was smart of them to use the same linear piston drivers in Powerbeats4.
You should not compare beatsx to the powerbeats 4 their design and results are differnt as well as the cable which is now round and no longer flat. You might want to read some recent reviews of new pbp 4; some compare the newer to the older beatsx and discussed your complaint.

I use the new pbp 4 all night long in bed and have no problem with the cable as I toss and turn during the night.

May 16, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #321 of 337
I think Apple did take what I’ll call the “90dB rule” into account when designing the volume control for Powerbeats Pro, and if I had to guess it applies to all of their latest headphones. (I don’t have AirPods Pro or Solo Pro here to verify.)

I’ve found that when I listen to Powerbeats Pro at 75% the peaks don’t ever go over 90dB, which is important to note since at >90dB the ear tries to protect itself which causes a muffled listening experience. Keeping Powerbeats Pro at 75% volume is practically perfect since the dynamic range is so good. Listening to a variety of electronic music, my hourly exposure has been at 79dB and the decibel range is at 63-90dB. I do like to push it to 80% occasionally, but I’d rather be able to hear the details in the music which Powerbeats Pro reproduce surprisingly well.

Last edited:
May 16, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #322 of 337
I think Apple did take what I’ll call the “90dB rule” into account when designing the volume control for Powerbeats Pro, and if I had to guess it applies to all of their latest headphones. (I don’t have AirPods Pro or Solo Pro here to verify.)

I’ve found that when I listen to Powerbeats Pro at 75% the peaks don’t ever go over 90dB, which is important to note since at >90dB the ear tries to protect itself which causes a muffled listening experience. Keeping Powerbeats Pro at 75% volume is practically perfect since the dynamic range is so good. Listening to a variety of electronic music, my hourly exposure has been at 79dB and the decibel range is at 63-90dB. I do like to push it to 80% occasionally, but I’d rather be able to hear the details in the music which Powerbeats Pro reproduce surprisingly well.
I am not as fixed about a percentage of volume as each person's physiology and eartip seal will determine how much volume.

Think of an audio system and speakers, the room, its size, and accoustics are as important as the volume and final results achieved.

May 18, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #323 of 337
I am not as fixed about a percentage of volume as each person's physiology and eartip seal will determine how much volume.

Think of an audio system and speakers, the room, its size, and accoustics are as important as the volume and final results achieved.

It’s not a perfect science, but I’m glad to see that Apple is becoming more conscientious about volume and hearing loss. My natural inclination has always been that 75% would be the sweet spot for listening, but on most other headphones (including Solo3 and AirPods) peaks can reach over 90dB even at that level.

Last edited:
May 22, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #324 of 337
The Powerbeats Pro price dropped $50 on amazon, so I ordered. I would not be surprised if a new model was about to come out. I wanted these mainly for outdoor activities. I'm a little concerned because I've never had an IEM before and I'm not sure how well my ears will tolerate them.

May 23, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #325 of 337
The Powerbeats Pro price dropped $50 on amazon, so I ordered. I would not be surprised if a new model was about to come out. I wanted these mainly for outdoor activities. I'm a little concerned because I've never had an IEM before and I'm not sure how well my ears will tolerate them.
I nnede to spend time with these bt iem's to take full advantage.

Ear tip size I ned was large and ear hooks needed experimental adjustment for everything to be in its right place.

But it is worth the effort as these are very good iem's and have replaced my fiio fa7 iem with fiio btr1k bt receiver with no loss in quality listening for me.

May 25, 2020 at 11:45 PM Post #326 of 337
My Powerbeats Pro came today. I think I will return them, for several reasons. But first the positive: when paired with my iPad the Powerbeats Pro gave decent sound quality with no dropouts. The ear hook was not unpleasant nor uncomfortable.

Now for the not so good: most serious, the device identifies itself as "Claudia's Powerbeats Pro". I don't know who Claudia is but she is not me. I have yet to discover how the Powerbeats Pro assigns its name; however I must question if a headset that identifies itself as Claudia's is really, truly new.

Secondly, when paired with my Garmin, which was the intended application for the Powerbeats, audio quality is a step down from the iPad, and there are lots of dropouts. And, yes, the Garmin, too, is convinced the Powerbeats belong to Claudia.

Next, and I'm not sure this is the fault of the Powerbeats, I can't get used to something sticking in my ear canal. Well, maybe I could but not in one evening.

If anyone has any information about the device name, please let me know.

May 26, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #327 of 337
My Powerbeats Pro came today. I think I will return them, for several reasons. But first the positive: when paired with my iPad the Powerbeats Pro gave decent sound quality with no dropouts. The ear hook was not unpleasant nor uncomfortable.

Now for the not so good: most serious, the device identifies itself as "Claudia's Powerbeats Pro". I don't know who Claudia is but she is not me. I have yet to discover how the Powerbeats Pro assigns its name; however I must question if a headset that identifies itself as Claudia's is really, truly new.

Secondly, when paired with my Garmin, which was the intended application for the Powerbeats, audio quality is a step down from the iPad, and there are lots of dropouts. And, yes, the Garmin, too, is convinced the Powerbeats belong to Claudia.

Next, and I'm not sure this is the fault of the Powerbeats, I can't get used to something sticking in my ear canal. Well, maybe I could but not in one evening.

If anyone has any information about the device name, please let me know.
Where'd you buy them from?

They used to belong to a Claudia.

May 26, 2020 at 3:04 AM Post #329 of 337
I bought them from amazon. I have to say they did look new.
I would ask for an exchange. Amazon will agree to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back