power problems
Feb 8, 2002 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

jim

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, haven't been here in a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

I've got an MG head and it seems to keep making popping noises. I notice that it happens everytime my refridgerator's compressor kicks in, or I turn on my air purifier. I've plugged the amp into my computer's UPS (i'm not using it for the computer anymore) in addition to the surge protector, but I'm still getting pops. What do I need to get rid of this? It's very annoying because it's really loud, and when I'm wearing etys, well, it doesn't feel that great either...

I'm pretty sure it's not the tubes arcing or anything, since I just replaced them not too long ago.

Also, would a balanced power supply like the bpt jr. get rid of the humming, or is that inherent in the tubes themselves?

thanks!

Feb 8, 2002 at 1:26 AM Post #2 of 14
The pop is a voltage spike caused by the fridge motor kicking on. A good power line filter will usually correct that. Many UPS's do not do much about power filtering. They mainly do their thing when the power goes out completely.
I use a Monster Power filter for my system and am happy with it. The main thing I would suggest is trying to find a audio store that will allow you to bring the filter back if it does not sove the problem for you. If they won't allow you to return it, I would keep trying to find some one who will.
If you want to try the least exspensive option first, try finding a small plug in "surge suppressor". That may be helpful and is usually cheaper then a full blown noise filter. You can get some good info by web searching for "power line noise". Also, a call to your local power utility company office may be helpful. They are usually willing to help and share information about these devices and issues. Hope that helps.

Feb 8, 2002 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 14
thanks Budgie, I'll look into those surge protectors. Does the BPT Jr. protect against surges and that sort of thing too? For example, I know Jude has the brick wall and the BPT unit, but if I were just to buy the BPT unit, would that be good enough, or do I still need the line filter too?

Feb 8, 2002 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 14
I have a custom BPT Unit, 2 BPT Jrs. in a single case with four sepeartely filtered outlets. I am almost through with my review, but the bottom line is everything is dead silent with the BPT. Without it I can tell when my refrigerator comes on, my heating kicks in and when the living room audio system starts up. As I stated before, this is the first audio related component that I have never had an inkling of buyers remorse. Highly recommended, and they have a thirty day money back policy, but nobody is getting mine. I will be buying two more units shortly.

Feb 8, 2002 at 5:43 AM Post #5 of 14
Get a decent surge protector for around $30 and a BPT unit, that's the ultimate (affordable) combination. The BPT unit itself isn't really designed to protect against surges, I don't think.

Feb 8, 2002 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 14
There is a surge protection option you can order with the BPT units, for which I believe they install big, high quality metal oxide varistors.

I would have ordered my BPT with the surge protection option had I not already had the Brick Wall.

Feb 8, 2002 at 5:56 AM Post #7 of 14
How much is the surge protection option w/ the BPT units?

Feb 8, 2002 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 14
Surge protection was an option when I bought mine, but I am not sure if it still is. I could not find it listed as an option on the BPT website. Anyway, I decided that it would be better to use a seperate surge device before the BPT unit if I needed it, rather than risk the BPT unit getting fried with a surge. Therefore, I ordered my unit without surge protection built in. I think I am going to build one of the Jon Risch surge/filter units from DIY Cable and use that in between the BPT Unit and the hospital grade wall socket.

Feb 8, 2002 at 6:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Yeah, I'll eventually get a Brick Wall or two for surge protection, but my Belkin will do for now. Yet another example of the advantages of separating functions. No need to let pesky power surges anywhere near my BPT unit.

Feb 9, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #10 of 14
The two BPT units I have do not have surge protection built in.I use a Brickwall as well.When talking with Chris from BPT in Las Vegas he suggested using a seperate unit for surge protection,I agree.

Feb 10, 2002 at 1:09 AM Post #11 of 14
thanks for the comments guys, I think for now I'll just get a better surge protector, because I'm more concerned about the popping noises than the slight hum. I'll probably have to put off getting a BPT unit until I get more funds over the summer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 14
Hey Jim,
Being a ComEd victim myself,I would like to recommend a surge protector at your very earliest opportunity.The power coming through your lines will fry your equipment double quick.I have seen voltage spikes all the way to 170 volts.ComEd's own website warns against not using a surge protector.Do it now.

Feb 11, 2002 at 2:20 AM Post #13 of 14
If I remember correctly, several folks on AudioAsylum report that using surge supression and/or filtering at the source of the problem is effective and may be cheaper than trying to only filter and supress at the audio equipment outlet. I had a ground loop & RFI problem a few months ago and came across the "refrigerator pop problem" on that forum.

But anyone who doesn't use a high-quality surge supressor between the power line and audio or computer equipment is asking for trouble. If you aren't going to go for "audiophile" stuff, the Tripplite Isotel and Isobar units are built like tanks and have great reputations. Panamax is good, too.

(Ironically, the most dangerous source of surges in your home is not the power line. It's the low voltage telephone line and the cable TV line. Almost everyone I know who has had problems has forgotten to protect against those paths.)

Feb 12, 2002 at 3:36 PM Post #14 of 14
Every time you hear that pop, you can depend on the fact that every unprotected piece of electronics in your home is being zapped! It just takes so many of these and then the equipment smokes.

YOU MUST PROTECT ALL EQUIPMENT IN YOUR HOME!!!!!!

For specs, you need to know clamping voltage and "joules".
A cheap surge suppressor will blow easily and still pass the spike to your electronics. Computer grade or better surge suppressors are best, at a low clamping voltage of 330volts or below. Many good ones are around 200 volts.

Then the joules. More is better. A $20 360 joule unit can be deceptive. That usually means three cruddy 120joule units across your lines in different ways. To make a long story short,
over 1000 joules is best.

Best surge suppressors for money are Brickwall at BRICKWALL WEBSITE

Every video and audio component in my main system goes through, right at the wall, a Brickwall series mode surge surpressor. After that, there are more cheaper ones for power distribution. My computer system has three big units. Everything in my house is protected. Sometimes, during a thunderstorm, if the house is quiet, I can hear them "pop", and hear the thunder in a second or two.

Just my two cents.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back