Power on switch madness
Feb 27, 2008 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Gautama

1000+ Head-Fier
Would it be possible to have it so that instead of have a regular old power switch, I put in a key and turn it to get the power going?

Would look wicked to have a keyhole on your front panel and have to use your key instead of reaching around back.

cool.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 17
Absolutely. They carry key switches at my local electronics stores, and I believe Mouser and Digikey carry them.

You might want to nose around Home Depot and Lowe's to see if they carry key switches for garage door openers. They should have some.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:05 AM Post #4 of 17
Awesome, thanks guys.

Feb 27, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 17
You could get two key switches and put one on each side of the front panel. Then for dramatic effect you could tell all your friends that they have to be turned simultaneously for it to power on, like you see in the movies for bank vaults and secret entrances.
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 10:42 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcheming /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could get two key switches and put one on each side of the front panel. Then for dramatic effect you could tell all your friends that they have to be turned simultaneously for it to power on, like you see in the movies for bank vaults and secret entrances.
biggrin.gif

Or you could make it so that they actually have to be turned at the same time. What fun!

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Or you could make it so that they actually have to be turned at the same time. What fun!

AND a relay based timer that'll shut you out for a set amount of time if you mess up the timing! Oh what fun!

You get to ask every time you power it on....Do you feel lucky?

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #9 of 17
Mmmmmm......... interesting...........

But, a key switch is not enough to preserve your amps from the evil. Maybe you should consider adding a small numercial keypad and create somekind of access control, so the amp just powers on when you insert the correct sequence (of course only when the keyswitch is on), and...... why not a small speaker so everytime a wrong sequence is inserted, you can hear the voice of a sexy woman telling you: "Incorrect sequence" or something like that. That would be REAL fun!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Maybe the most difficult to achieve is the sexy woman
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 17
Just install a retinal scanner and be done with it.

Feb 27, 2008 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You still haven't posted a reason behind actually doing this though, do you have some reason to hide your amp from others?
tongue.gif

Just for the cool factor
cool.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #14 of 17
Hmm... now I want to hack my amp to simulate the startup sequence for an Aston Martin
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #15 of 17
Great thread. I lol'd a few times.

I think the coolest and most practical way would be to put a key swith, followed by a profusely-oversized circuit breaker. It would be awe-inspiring to hear the loud CRACK of the breaker when turning it on/off!

Fun times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back