Power cord made a big difference
Feb 18, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #16 of 89
I have only heart small differences in powercords at best untill last year.
Then I tried a 'filtering' powercord, the van de Hul Mainsserver, on my CDP, a Rega Apollo.
The sound 'cleaned up' remarkably, and I considered it an upgrade well worth the money (€180,-).
This year I replaced the CDP with a Squeezebox Classic plus a Havana DAC. Without thinking I transplanted the Mainsserver too.
Th sound was sterile, lifeless, no energy and I thought NOS/tube DACs were probably not for me.
On an impulse I replaced the Mainsserver with another PC, a DIY Belden cord made by a local hifi shop that sold it for €30,-
I could not believe my earse; suddenly the sound became weighty and powerful and the line between uninteresting and enjoyable was easily crossed.

Feb 18, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #17 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should contact Monarchy Audio to let them know that their power supplies are of extremely poor quality.

Maybe they'll put you in touch with their engineering staff so you can expound effective design to them. They, obviously, do not know what they're doing.

I think it would be great if you set them straight.

Thankfully, I wasn't eating or drinking anything when I read this post, would have made a mess.....Thanx for the lulz

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #18 of 89
I think we'd be all better off if we all used storage batteries to run our equipment off, and recharge them when the hifi gear is not in use.
But then we'd probably have people say that the power from the batteries sound better when recharged with filtered cables as against the ordinary variety.
It could even be that some would prefer the 99.9999999999999% cryo'd copper to the silver conductors. Copper sounds fuller, whereas the silver boosts the top end.

Where, OH.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where will it end.....????????????????

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #19 of 89
Can anyone rationally explain to me how a power chord can affect sound? After all, sound does not travel through power cables and not to mention that it's connected to hundreds of feet of non audiophile cable that wires your house.

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM Post #20 of 89
scott_d_m,
You're not getting into the spirit of this debate.
Reason is not an answer.
Prejudice rulez OK.
It's not the truth that matters, but the perception.
Having said that, I still believe in burn-in and that interconnects and headphone cables making a difference.

Vive la differance.............................

Feb 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #21 of 89
Holly cow guys!!
I am just passing on my experince to fellow headfiers. If you believe it great if you don't great too.
You should save your aggresion and sarcasm for your enemies not for fellow headfiers.

Peace.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 18, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #22 of 89
hear hear
wink_face.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #23 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holly cow guys!!
I am just passing on my experince to fellow headfiers. If you believe it great if you don't great too.
You should save your aggresion and sarcasm for your enemies not for fellow headfiers.

Peace.

You obviously missed millions of post and debates regarding this. This is just another "oh. the power cord makes a big difference" thread that happens to show up every day or week.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #24 of 89
Quote:

Holly cow guys!!

Peace.

Agreed. We really get a view of what your life is like. Anyone who constantly posts in these cable threads, must be pretty lonely. Get out meet some people. There has been a study recently of on-line use and depression.

We see the same names pop up with the same arguments and the same righteous tone , it is pathetic! Let people enjoy their purchase and the differences it induces regardless if it is placebo or fact.

There is much more to life.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:29 PM Post #25 of 89
I think threads like these (and certain reviewers power cords 'shootouts') are very dangerous. With the Sound Science forum being the ghetto of rational thought on HF, many inexperienced audiophiles could believe some of this cable nonsense (and have, if you've read the shootout I was talking about) and spend reckless sums of money due to companies, and to a lesser extent people, deceiving them into purchasing these cables.

It's not even arguable at this point. If the company who designed your product is competent in any way, the design of the power supply will ALWAYS negate any possible effects of a different power cord.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #26 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It’s amazing that the army, navy, airforce, biologists, scientific labs, hospitals, companies, corporations or anyone using sensitive equipment do not use this technology. Hell, they even split the atom without one of these power cords. Yet the audiophile market has been at it for 30 years or so, exploiting the unreliability of human hearing. lol.

lol, indeed.

physics does not matter when 'c-notes' (my name for those with huge wallets and less sense) want to throw money around on non-sound related improvements.

PT barnum, you were so right!

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #27 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBigCW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's not even arguable at this point. If the company who designed your product is competent in any way, the design of the power supply will ALWAYS negate any possible effects of a different power cord.

+1. or repped (ooops, wrong forum)

wink.gif

seriously, how many power supply design engineers have to be insulted by having their PSUs be 'upgraded' with yet another piece of wire conductor?

"but users know more than designers".

uhuh. yup. absolutely.

Feb 18, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #28 of 89
Quote:

Holly cow guys!!
I am just passing on my experince to fellow headfiers.

you are passing on your FEELINGS. that's not experience.

quite a difference.

wire is not measured by 'feelings'. you are just saying "I'm happy" and nothing more than that, really. this is not any kind of new information, sorry.
wink.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #29 of 89
I don't know, a power cable that instills happiness could be quite a breakthrough.

Seriously though, none of this should be taken personally. It's odd that audiophiles get more than simple joy from their experiences, some insist on taking them on as part of their identity and in so doing make themselves vulnerable to personal offense when their equipment "impressions" are met with cynicism.

TheBigCW mentioned the unfortunate result of naive readers wasting considerable sums on products vetted only by subjective whims or marketing shills. Aside from that, I've no problem with people waxing poetic about sound quality improvements from pseudoscientific audiophile bling. There's sometimes good writing to be found in these puff pieces.

Feb 18, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #30 of 89
people are free to spend their money any way they want.

the issue many of us have is that this is often seen (or intended) to be *advice* or *instruction*. that's what I object to. people thinking this is real and spending money only to find out that they were conned by 'the emotion game'.

the subject line 'power cord made a big diff' is misleading, to say the least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back