Power Conditioning: The Next Level
Sep 10, 2001 at 3:10 AM Post #31 of 64
Yes, all hail Vka, but Vertigo's system isn't too bad either... We won't mention his poor source (hehe, just kiddin' vertigo), but the r10's + rkv....mmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Sep 10, 2001 at 3:14 AM Post #32 of 64
Well...my system is worth maybe in the $5000s retail...but Vka's system is worth in the $10,000s retail!
eek.gif
And keep in mind this is a headphone system...wait till he gets to speakers!
biggrin.gif

Sep 10, 2001 at 3:22 AM Post #33 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Vka
In Terms of power, the PS Audio has gotten 100s of excellent reviews and has received best accessory of the year award at stereophile.
Anyhow, the PS Audio 300 has done wonders in my system. Brightness and digital harshness has disappeared while at the same time an increase in overall detail and an amazing lowering of noise floor. As a result, redbook CDs now sound more analog like. Before, I had always thought grados had a harsh treble as one of their characteristics. Now I know that its just my bad power. In short, this upgrade has brought my system to another level that I never thought possible. I would have to say of all the tweaks that I have done including shatki stones, interconnects, and power cords, this has offered the most improvement of them all, if not combined! Moreover, the PS Audio runs warm, but not extremely hot as my entire system operates well under 50 watts. Lastly, I love the multiwave capabilty of the PS Audio. Currently I have it on SS1 preset which to my ears have excellent dynamic range and wide soundstage. I also like the warmer, but mellower preset of PS2.

No question about the PS Audio PowerPlants and their reputations -- sterling. But none of the PowerPlants is within the price range I've set for my power conditioning.

Martin Glasband of Equi=Tech admits the PowerPlants are good and effective products, but seems to swear up and down that the single biggest component of their sonic effectiveness is their balanced architecture. Again, price no object, a PowerPlant would likely be my first choice. But given the budget I've set for myself for this purchase, I had to find the best alternative I could, and so I'm going to have to put some faith in everything I've read so far (including Martin Glasband's written position) to choose an alternative and go with a balanced power solution. Then it's up to my ears to decide whether or not the balanced power solution is good enough to keep.

Quote:

Originally posted by Vka
Also, if you are interested in getting the best power cord possible, I suggest getting the BMI Whale Elite Power Cord which has garnered 100's of positive reviews at audiogon. Many at audiogon have said it easily competes with $2000+ cords. I myself owned one before and has brought my DCT-1 to another level increasing in bass tightness, presence and a much lowering in noise floor. Anyhow, I plan to get another Whale cord for my newly arrived Sony SCD-1
biggrin.gif

Congrats on the SCD-1, Vka! Great source by all accounts.

Yes, the Whale Elite looks interesting. From the Audiogon ad:

WhalesG.jpg

That's a [size=medium]macho[/size] cord!
cool.gif
One must wonder what makes up the bulk of that cord's thickness -- I'd love to see a cross section of it (is there such a diagram anywhere?). Still out of the price range I've budgeted though. I'll go with B-P-T's C-7 power cord for now and see how that works -- give a new kid on the block a chance to strut his stuff. In what has to be an hour-and-a-half of phone time with Chris, he seems to really know his stuff, so I'll stick my neck and wallet out to give his company's gear a whirl.

See, you cats think I'm out there? I'm a budget audiophile if ever there was one! Literally. I generally set a budget and stick to it. I've got a retirement fund to fund!
wink.gif

Sep 10, 2001 at 3:37 AM Post #34 of 64
Quote:

Vertigo-1 said...

And when I say number 1 man, I mean it! He's da man with the Sony SCD-1 +Tara Labs Air 1 + Holmes Powell DCT-1 + Grado HP-1!

Incredible. OK Vka, where do you live? I want to go ahead and start planning my pilgrimage now!
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

jude said...

That's a macho cord!

Geez, that thing could easily be used as a weapon! How much does it weigh?

Sep 10, 2001 at 4:18 AM Post #35 of 64
Jude:
It is a black woven polyester monofilament tubing that provides abrasion resistance. You have probably already seen it on other high-end cables. We use the higher quality flame retardent version that has white criss-cross threads. It looks good.

Sep 10, 2001 at 6:36 AM Post #36 of 64
this begs the questions:

is bigger always better?
smily_headphones1.gif

i was actually looking into upgrading the power of my system. i just recently ordered my PS300 for my work system. my work place has 100s of computer with their switching power supplies sitting in the same circuit as my computer. i hope to hear a big improvement.

Sep 10, 2001 at 3:18 PM Post #37 of 64
"But none of the PowerPlants is within the price range I've set for my power conditioning. "

Hmmm, although they retailed $1200, I paid $900 shipped for mine sealed NEW and they seem to be running $600-$800 used. Well, for all thats interested, there is a used PS Audio 300 w/ multiwave on audiogon going for $650. http://gonmain.iserver.net/cgi-bin/c...5316298&2&3&4&
Is that still out of your price range, Jude?

"*Vertigo-1 humbly bows to the number 1 man...*"
Please get up! Afterall, you have the R10-KING. Therefore, all should bow to the KING! HeHeHe. But seriously, isn't it funny that all my equipments end with the #1.
Maybe, I should change my name to Vka-1....

"Well...my system is worth maybe in the $5000s retail...but Vka's system is worth in the $10,000s retail!"

Thank god for Vertigo and I, we never paid for FULL retail price for our headphone systems. In fact, MY 12,000+ system still costs me similar to an Omega II brand new system at $6,000 retail or a new DCT-2 at $6,000. Does that make me an budget audiophile too?

"That's a macho cord! One must wonder what makes up the bulk of that cord's thickness -- I'd love to see a cross section of it (is there such a diagram anywhere?)."

Lastly, I too would like to see the cross section as well. After hearing about the electraglide scandal at audioasylum, its hard not to imagine IF we are really been ripped off for these expensive power cords. On the hand, Whale is very cheap compared to the $2500 electraglide power cord scandal that was going on. However, I still feel that they should have some sort of company that gives rating or standard for checking the inside of these cords.

Sep 10, 2001 at 3:26 PM Post #38 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Hoff
Jude:
It is a black woven polyester monofilament tubing that provides abrasion resistance. You have probably already seen it on other high-end cables. We use the higher quality flame retardent version that has white criss-cross threads. It looks good.

Thanks for the info, Chris. Already put in my order.

Quote:

Originally posted by jmpsmash
this begs the questions:

is bigger always better?
smily_headphones1.gif

jmpsmash,

Yeah, I wonder the same thing (is bigger always better?), especially after that thread on Audio Asylum. I wish most of the companies would simply cut their cords open and let us see what's in there. I think some of the companies know there's very little chance that a user will pay $500 -- let alone $2500 -- for a power cord and then cut into it and void the warranty. That's one of the reasons I was comfortable buying Audioquest cables -- at the local Audioquest dealer, there is a display that has actual sections of all of Audioquests cables so you can see what's in them. PS Audio also provides images of the insides of their cables. Cardas provides illustrations of what's inside. I can see small sections of the rectangular conductors of my Tara interconnects when I remove the locking RCA collar.

Truth be told, statements like:

Quote:

This special low reserve auction is for (1) Brand New (Logo Version-Trademark) Monstrous, Colossal, Enormous, Gargantuan, Immense, Mountainous...*3-foot

and

Quote:

The (insert cable name here) is a Gargantuan, Immense, Mountainous, Tremendous, Vast etc.... You get the drift. Over + 1.5 inches in diameter and *5 inches in circumference ! Making it one of the Largest power cables in the world, if not the Largest !

and

Quote:

The next two pictures show the (insert cable name here) size differential to a standard 16 awg power cord that's supplied by most manufacturer's of hi-end audio components. It shows how much of a path flow you are really cheating your equipment by using cheap power cords.

Those are actual quotes from an audiophile power cable ad, word for word. These sorts of vague (and corny) statements serve more to scare me off. In the third quote above, I'm not shown how much more path flow the super-thick cable has, because it is not mentioned at any point in that ad what kind of conductors they're using in their gigantic cable. I'm not saying that the super-thick cable isn't maybe the best power cable around, I'm just saying that more information other than how big it is physically would be very helpful.

By the way, jmpsmash, congratulations on the P300 for your office rig. Who'd you order it from?

Sep 10, 2001 at 4:29 PM Post #40 of 64
jude,

take a look at this other thread in AA, an insightful explanation on why power cords actually makes a difference.

http://www.AudioAsylum.com/forums/hi...ges/24303.html

the gist of it is, it is the shielding of the power cord that matters, as the power cord is acting as a transmitter of power supply induced noise into the surrounding, a properly shielded power cable will prevent the noise from reaching other components in the system...

i got the p300 it from audiogon. rather expensive piece of equipment, it costs more than my earmax+hd580, in a way, kinda ridiculous. but i have read many reviews and also know a few very favorable first hand reports.

heck, i will just starve for the rest of the month, who needs to eat anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 10, 2001 at 4:41 PM Post #41 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by jmpsmash
jude,

take a look at this other thread in AA, an insightful explanation on why power cords actually makes a difference....

....i got the p300 it from audiogon. rather expensive piece of equipment, it costs more than my earmax+hd580, in a way, kinda ridiculous. but i have read many reviews and also know a few very favorable first hand reports.

heck, i will just starve for the rest of the month, who needs to eat anyway?
smily_headphones1.gif

jmpsmash,

Thanks for the link. Yeah, it's not that I question so much the value of power cords -- I believe that different power cords can have an effect on audio system performance. My point in that post was that I think it's time we at least start asking about some of these cables "what the heck is in there?" They mention a word or two about shielding in the ad for the HUGE cable, but no more. They mention how thick the overall cable is, but they don't mention what kind of conductors they're using. I mean, what makes up the thickness of that GIGANTIC cable? They make such a big deal about its thickness, yet they also say it's extremely flexible, which, again, makes me wonder....what's in there?

Click on the link in KR's post, which you can get to by clicking here:

KR's post

Again, I believe in the benefit of good power cables. I just want to know more about what's in a few of the HUGE ones. In buying B-P-T's C-7, I know what's in there. At the end of the day, it's about how it sounds. But before I put down a lot of money, I like to know a lot about what I'm buying.

Sep 10, 2001 at 7:09 PM Post #43 of 64
Jude:
Yes, the benefits of balanced power are there for 2 prong electronics. All the filtering is done in the BP unit so anything plugged in , even 2 prong plugs, gets balanced/filtered AC.

Sep 10, 2001 at 7:21 PM Post #44 of 64
Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Hoff
Jude:
Yes, the benefits of balanced power are there for 2 prong electronics. All the filtering is done in the BP unit so anything plugged in , even 2 prong plugs, gets balanced/filtered AC.

Thanks for the answer. So there's absolutely no disadvantage to using a two-prong-equipped component plugged into the B-P-T versus a similar component with a three-prong plug?

Also, what is this option (from your web site)?

Quote:

Separate ground connection for systems with dedicated isolated equipment ground

Based on what you know about my rig, is that something I should order?

Sep 10, 2001 at 8:55 PM Post #45 of 64
Still on the power cords. I jus finished my second DIY power cord (the first one was a pilot project). It looks good with it's black brided outher sleeve, it matches my Harmonic Technology onterconnects nicely. The sound, just from my 15 min listening earlier tonight is quite an improvement over the molded thin cord I've been using. The bass gets deeper and vocals even more refined. The uppermost end is perhaps a touch smooter too, but the effect on the bass is just amazing.
I built it from scratch i.e. plain 13 AWG (it is European 2.5mmsq) OFC wire and copper shields plus some heavy duty connectors.
It was fun
Next I'm goona try the same configuration but executed with silver plated teflon insulated wires and even heavier shielding. Just found a good supplier here in Sweden that carry them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back