Power conditioning for headphones
Jan 26, 2002 at 10:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cajunchrist

I'm contemplating getting some budget power conditioning for my headphone rig, and I was wondering how signifcant an improvement I could expect?

With higher voltage/drain devices like amps, etc, I'm sure the addition of a rock steady power supply is a good improvement. But for headphones and headphone amps that draw relatively little current, I'm guessing the difference is less noticeable. I don't currently notice any RFI/EMI interference in my rig, so I'm not trying to fix a problem. I just want to get an idea of where my upgrade budget should go.

If you do recommend power conditioning, what would be a cheap conditioner that will give me relatively good performance? Roll-Man recommended a Rotel conditioner for $99 several months back. Can items like these be easily found at musician supply stores? Or elsewhere?

Jan 26, 2002 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 4
Personally, I am partial to the Balanced Power theory rather than conditioning and would go for a balanced power unit, like ones from BPT (BP Jr. is $250, cheapest) or PSAudio (Ultimate Outlet is $299)...

Monster makes some conditioners at $99 (that are actually worth it btw). If you feel like DIYing, you can build a Jon Risch designed conditioner (Kit)

Jan 26, 2002 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 4
If you can afford it, the B.P.T. Jr is one of the best values in audio gear, ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back