Power conditioner for my Aristaeus - HELP!
Jun 21, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
Justin said that the power consumption of the Aristaeus is about 80 watts.

Those who own the HEV90 out there, please tell us what you're using for power conditioning.
smily_headphones1.gif

Exactpower EP15A For the HEV90& the partnering Balanced SP15 for the Blackgated Headamp KGSS when I had it.

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Exactpower EP15A For the HEV90& the partnering Balanced SP15 for the Blackgated Headamp KGSS when I had it.

Thanks, Tom.
Do you notice any difference running your Orpheus system directly from the wall and through the EP15A?

Jun 25, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #18 of 33
Bump...

Jun 25, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
Thanks, Tom.
Do you notice any difference running your Orpheus system directly from the wall and through the EP15A?

Never really did a direct comparison,The Hev90 is out on loan to another Headfier so I can't try it out till I get it back.

Jun 27, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #20 of 33
Hugo-

I have a Shunyata Hydra 8 and think it does a fabulous job, including on my 500 watts/channel power amp. It is one of the few that the amp maker--Steve McCormack--will recommend for his amps because it does NOT limit power. You can get a much smaller/cheaper Hydra 2 or 4 if you do not need lots of equipment running through the conditioner (the # designation = how many outlets
tongue.gif
).

Best of luck, and dying to hear what you think about your amp when it arrives.

Al

Jul 4, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 33
Thanks for the help, guys.
I ended up buying the UPC-200.
I don't know if it will improve the sound, but at least my gear will be protected.
580smile.gif

- Hugo

Jul 6, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #23 of 33
I might get Flamed for this...but I just bought a Monster Power 3500mkII.

I was wondering a few things about it, so maybe you guys can help anwser some things. First the main reason I bought it is because I have poor power distibution (3 outlets in the living room 15' apart) so I needed a cental station to plug in to. I set it up last night and also plugged in my Computer monitor. With the monitor off the Meter says 118 or just under, with the rest of my gear on (receiver, DAC, PC, Mixer, CDP, TT) but as soon as I turn the monitor on the Meter goes to under 116. So the question is: If I have my entire stereo on as well as my computer am I going to effect the sound quality? And is that too much for the power station? I'm getting my RP33 really soon and want to get a poweramp (replace the receiver), so then will I really be going over limit? Is there a way what I can measure the draw from each component? Blah to many questions...Anyone wanna help me out?

JB

Oh and one more less audio related Q: Anyone who has tried the Cable TV filter on MP units can chime in here... Do you get better results? It made my cable way worse...

Jul 7, 2006 at 12:10 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by surfboardz26
hugo, update this thread when you get it. Im intrested if it helped the sound any. Or just shoot me a pm will you? THANKS

Sure! I will let you know when I get both the UPC-200 and the Aristaeus working together
600smile.gif

Jul 8, 2006 at 3:59 PM Post #25 of 33
I did a blind A/B between a $5 powerbar/surge protector, and the UPC-200, and it didn't make a difference in my house.

I think it depends on how clean your power is..

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
I did a blind A/B between a $5 powerbar/surge protector, and the UPC-200, and it didn't make a difference in my house.

I think it depends on how clean your power is..

It can be measured with a PS Audio Noise Harvester, the more often the light blinks the dirtier the power is. Everyone should get one before spending a lot of cash on expensive power conditioners! If I had one in my crappy old apartment I bet that light wouldn't even blink, it would always stay on!
eek.gif
I can't wait to try it.

Jul 8, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82
It can be measured with a PS Audio Noise Harvester, the more often the light blinks the dirtier the power is. Everyone should get one before spending a lot of cash on expensive power conditioners! If I had one in my crappy old apartment I bet that light wouldn't even blink, it would always stay on!
eek.gif
I can't wait to try it.

... you can't be serious.

Hey. Buy Machina Dynamica's Clever Little Clock and tell me how it is, too! I heard it expands the soundstage significantly, and is a steal for only $199.

Jul 8, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
... you can't be serious.

Hey. Buy Machina Dynamica's Clever Little Clock and tell me how it is, too! I heard it expands the soundstage significantly, and is a steal for only $199.

You are the first skeptic, I wondered where they went.
biggrin.gif
See the Harvester thread.

Aug 30, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #30 of 33
I have to ressurect this thread...

Well, I've ended up selling my UPC-200 before getting the Aristaeus, so I never really got to hear them working together.
One year has gone since I've started this thread and I still don't know what to use as power conditioner.

I'm having a slight hiss issue since I've got the Aristaeus.
It's audible from around 1 o'clock and gets louder when I turn the volume up.
It becomes about 2x louder when I touch the metalic volume knob, so it's clearly a power issue. (Ground loop?) It also gets louder when I turn my DAC off or when I disconnect the ICs from the amp.
I've also noticed the issue gets worse when there are too many equipments turned on in my house.

It looks like I have a dirty power and the amp is too sensible to that.
I'm not sure what the real cause is, but I'd like to ask your opinion on what it could be and what I should try to solve it.

Thanks!

Hugo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back