Power conditioner for my Aristaeus - HELP!
Jun 14, 2006 at 1:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

HugoFreire

500+ Head-Fier
I have an Aristaeus on order, and I'm trying to find a good power conditioner/surge protector option for it.

I've heard that power conditioners such as P300 can't provide power amps and tube amps the power they require. Is that true for tube headphone amps too? More specifically - is that true for electrostatic amps such as the Aristaeus?
Would the UPC-200 be a better option over the P300, since it doesn't limit current?

Any help will be welcome
580smile.gif

- Hugo

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #2 of 33
Do you really need a power conditioner? I say, wait until the amp comes and give it a listen before making any decisions. However, if you've got bad power, then I can only suggest some units that fall within the budget category of power conditioning
biggrin.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #3 of 33
I need surge protection, at least.
A surge burning $4k worth of equipment would hurt a lot...
tongue.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg
This is true only for some tube/ss amps for speakers. P300 should easily handle any headphone amp, and a source.

300watts is a decent ammount... you can run most humble speaker rigs amp and all from that... heck I have a diy voltage regulator and line conditioner that is 300watts and I am running my power amp, DAC, and CDP off it without any worries.

The only thing I would worry about is many conditioners seems to suck the life out of gear... just get a nice simply surge protector like something from Belkin and dont worry about it anymore
wink.gif

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
Would the UPC-200 be a better option over the P300, since it doesn't limit current?

Any help will be welcome
580smile.gif

- Hugo

Quote:

I need surge protection, at least.
A surge burning $4k worth of equipment would hurt a lot...
tongue.gif

Hi Hugo, I'm quite happy with my UPC-200. Like you I just wanted surge protection in the event of a worst case scenario, even if that is unlikely.

Mine has a 200 watt amp attached and I notice no limitations in dynamics or other harmful side affects. I can't say there are any great improvements either but that's OK.

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 33
I used P300 Power Plant with Krell KAV-500i power amp that is 250 watts per channel. Using K1000 the bass and dynamics was OMG. There was no problem at all, it sounded amazing.
You are fine as long as all your gear doesn't go past 70% of what the Power Plant can do. CD player takes very little. DAC takes almost nothing.

Remember to get a Power Plant that has MultiWave II and II+. It's worth the extra money!

MultiWave II settings (music playing with AKG K1000)

Krell KAV-500i power amp
P-1 = 100-120 watt
P-2 = 140-160 watt
P-3 = 130-140 watt
P-4 = 100-120 watt
TubeWave = 150-170 watt

Cary 303/300 CD player + Benchmark DAC-1
P-1 = 10-20 watt
P-2 = 20-40 watt
P-3 = 20-30 watt
P-4 = 10-20 watt
TubeWave = 20-40 watt

PS Audio GCC-100 amplifier + Benchmark DAC-1
P-4 = 10 watt !!!

The 100 watts per channel digital amp takes less than 10 watts with K1000 headphones. P300 Power Plant is good enough!

Jun 14, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 33
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

The UPC-200 seems to be a great choice, if its surge protection really works without affecting the performance of the gear.

There's also the Audio Magic Stealth option. From what I've read, it works like the UPC-200, without limitation of power.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
300watts is a decent ammount...
The only thing I would worry about is many conditioners seems to suck the life out of gear...

I thought conditioners "sucked the life out of gear" because they couldn't provide enough power... Why does it happen then?

Please keep the suggestions coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 12:48 PM Post #9 of 33
I tried the Isotek Mini Sub in my system, considered a reference device short of actual conditioners (like PS Audio's Power Plants). Shaped up my sound quite nicely and is very well built. However, I didn't have the cash for it so I bought this Chinese G&W dual filtered strip instead, for a fraction of the Isotek's price. It performs admirably, no different than the Isotek in my system. http://www.ornec.com/product/EU/100307/

I heard that transformer-based conditioners are the way to go for the true discerning high end audiophile, and this company in Germany makes some great products, at reasonale prices: http://www.mudra-akustik.de/

Jun 15, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

I thought conditioners "sucked the life out of gear" because they couldn't provide enough power... Why does it happen then?

Please keep the suggestions coming!
smily_headphones1.gif

Materials used and build quality can lend to that as well. Also, something might be "300watt" but that doesnt mean you can readily access all that power should you need it in an instant.

Equitech, Balanced Audio Tech, and Running Springs make some very nice products if you are all about the $$$$ pricey audio grade stuff that is no better and often worse than commercial grade stuff. My vote is for the Equitech or something like the pic below
icon10.gif

EAPCThingy.jpg

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Conditioners generally let 2,400 watts through. I like when I read they killed the dynamics of someones headphone amp.
icon10.gif

Jun 20, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 33
Justin said that the power consumption of the Aristaeus is about 80 watts.

Those who own the HEV90 out there, please tell us what you're using for power conditioning.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back