power caps to use for a PIMETA?
Apr 17, 2008 at 5:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Iniamyen

100+ Head-Fier
I'm shopping for parts to build a PIMETA, and I'm trying to decide what I should use to populate the big electrolytic power supply spots.

I don't really understand how two different sizes may affect the performance of the amp - it seems like within the same voltage rating, the smaller capacitances generally have lower ripple currents. However I don't know how big of an impact this has or whether a large cap will negate any advantages of a small one if they are used together, etc..

Basically just wondering what some ideal configurations for these caps are. Space is not an issue and I'll probably be powering this off of batteries to drive h600's.

Thanks!!

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #3 of 3
Larger caps (in voltage, capacitance and actual size) generally have higher ripple current rejection.

If you don't want boutique, go with the standard Panasonic FM (DigiKey) or Nichicon HE (Mouser). You can also go with Elna RFS aka Silmic II (DigiKey) which are a little nicer. Boutique is not necessarily "better" in PSU applications.

Actual capacitance, it's a Pimeta, no use going overboard, 2000uF is more than enough (4x 470uF).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back