Power Cables
Dec 19, 2009 at 5:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

Necrolic

1000+ Head-Fier
My current rig is:

PC (Auzentech Forte soundcard) -> DAC/Amp (about to order) -> D5000

I'm going to be getting an Audio-GD amp and DAC, and I'm wondering, is it worth it to get the Audio-GD power cords for them when I won't be using high quality power cords on my whole rig.

What I mean by that is, since I'm using a stock power cable on my transport, will good power cords make any difference on my Source/Amp when the signal could already be tainted from the stock cable on my transport?

Dec 19, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 41
I'm not a believer in power cords. If you look into power supplies, they accomplish everything that aftermarket power cords claim to do.

If you want an effective piece of equipment, look into an isolation transformer. They kill ground loops and take DC off the line. Instead of claims, they can be shown effective with standard tests.

You can find an isolation transformer for $50 or less. I use an isolation transformer I originally bought for repairing old tube radios and a bunch of cheap power cords.

It also helps that my rig has quality power supplies that do an excellent job of turning AC into DC. The power supply has a lot more to do with sound than any power cord. You're better off running an excellent power supply from a 99 cent power cord than a cheapo power supply off a $1,000 power cord.

Dec 19, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 41
Best way to see if cables help your rig is to go to a mini meet in your area and swap some cables. I like silver rhodium cables with my tube gear and quality gold plated with Solid State. Just my opinion from making several cables tuning in my sound on my gear.

Dec 19, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 41
My Russ Andrews/Kimber Reference Power Cable (not shielded) did a great job for my Lehmann BCL. The v.d. Hul Mainstream (shielded) didn’t work.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best way to see if cables help your rig is to go to a mini meet in your area and swap some cables. I like silver rhodium cables with my tube gear and quality gold plated with Solid State. Just my opinion from making several cables tuning in my sound on my gear.

How did you like my VH audio F4 cable?

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:14 AM Post #6 of 41
Nice sounding with the box it was connected to. A little stiff to manage easily with. For the money it was great. I will pay for the premium of bendable cables.

Dec 20, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice sounding with the box it was connected to. A little stiff to manage easily with. For the money it was great. I will pay for the premium of bendable cables.

Ture, they are very hard to manage.

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #8 of 41
the VH audio Flavor 4 is being high on my want to try list of powe cables.
Now that i have settled on my final setp I am turning attention to the finer points such as power and Interconnects.

I have a transparent audio power Link super on the way but also want to try my hand at making a VH F4 cable.

Of course would love to try it first if possible. Loan them to me for a while seamaster?
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #10 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard a power cable make any difference in my 26 years into this hobby.

Well i clearly must be hearing things then.. This is not a subtle difference by any means whatsoever that I am hearing.

Just switching the transparent audio cable from the amp to the DAC is a huge difference..albeit it isn't sounding as good with the cable on the amp..but a very easily noticeable difference.

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #12 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by mellows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Psychosomatic, perhaps?

No idea what it is..but I am liking it a lot. Glad i invested in it is all i got to say.
wink.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #13 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artmon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Russ Andrews/Kimber Reference Power Cable (not shielded) did a great job for my Lehmann BCL. The v.d. Hul Mainstream (shielded) didn’t work.

I hear sometimes that unshielded cables actually are better sounding as long as there ain't a problem with Interference.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #14 of 41
Sachu, I've got relatively good power cables - Belden with cryo treated plugs, I also have a dedicated separate circuit in my household power just for the system which bypasses all electrical points, with it's very own copper grounding stake. The system gets plugged into a very nice power block.
I cannot hear any difference when using cheapo cords plugged plugged into any old outlet in the house.
I found spending money on power cables sets a false pre-conception trigger, I defended my purchases and firmly believed there was a real difference.
I still use and love my power cables, although I can't hear a difference I fear I'll never fully rid the curse and besides they look cool.

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:53 AM Post #15 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sachu, I've got relatively good power cables - Belden with cryo treated plugs, I also have a dedicated separate circuit in my household power just for the system which bypasses all electrical points, with it's very own copper grounding stake. The system gets plugged into a very nice power block.
I cannot hear any difference when using cheapo cords plugged plugged into any old outlet in the house.
I found spending money on power cables sets a false pre-conception trigger, I defended my purchases and firmly believed there was a real difference.
I still use and love my power cables, although I can't hear a difference I fear I'll never fully rid the curse and besides they look cool.

Well i the thing that i can't seem to understand is that moving the higher priced cable from my amp to the DAC made an appreciable difference. I preferred the higher priced cable on my amp more than i did on the DAC.
How does one explain that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back