Power Cables
Dec 25, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #31 of 41
This is interesting trying out different power cables.

I just threw in a PS audio Power plus cord for my DAC and I didn't like it. Compared to the stock IEC cord, the PS audio took away the dynamics, sounds softer, lesser prat.
Gonna leave the standard cord on the DAC for now.

Dec 25, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #32 of 41
I've found my best combo is a VD power cord on my amp fed directly from the receptacle and my computer and DAC ran through an isolation transformer. And ICs did have an improvement of sound to my taste.

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:32 AM Post #33 of 41
seriously? What about the cheap wire used in most peoples mains installations? you really think that adding a 1-2 meter cable at the end of that is going to make a difference?.

Never head any difference whatsoever in any types of cabling while comparing like for like gauges.

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #34 of 41
rusitnpiece, even ordinary mains wiring takes on remarkable new properties when you run it through a garden hose.

Of course, a suitably large pricetag is also essential in improving the sound.

Jul 24, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #35 of 41
#Why not put your stock power cord in the freezer for an hour before use? If you are looking for a colder sound, likewise if you want a warmer sound try heat wrapping your cables.

:p

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:04 AM Post #36 of 41
That might work, too!

Also, if you haven't seen it, there was a thread here several years back where someone's cat tore up their Virtual Dynamics power cord. So the owner opened up the cord and posted photos of the inside.

It seemed that Virtual Dynamics was running plain, ordinary home wiring through a garden hose filled with sandblasting medium and covered with Techflex.

Even then, people defended the power cords, despite Virtual Dynamics being exposed as a fraud.

Jul 24, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #38 of 41
I personally wouldn't recommend coiled. There's some purple hose floating around on the internet that looks rather good. Make sure you use it out in the garden for a while to aid with the directional flow so that the cable doesn't get confused and start resisting the signal and sending it back the wrong way, could be highly damaging.

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #41 of 41
To be honest a power cable can only make 3 differences first too thin a gauge which i heard mentioned in an audioholics thread then capacitance and inductance which you would want to be high because that's how power conditioners filter power (only with real components with much higher values) and then shielding not to keep noise from getting in but getting out into adjacent signal cables but I would imagine these factors to be small enough it would not make any difference between a stock and "audiophile cord" I just use belden 83803 and some cheap connectors but more so just because I like the look of the red jacket and techflex and it's not grain free copper enchanted by magical crystals

Users who are viewing this thread

Back