Power Cables... Really?
Jun 25, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #212 of 417

Quote:
Some could even say...

That's what it boils down to.  A least no one here (so far...) is 6moons crazy.  Their name recall the etymology of the word 'lunatic".

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:38 AM Post #213 of 417
Jun 26, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #214 of 417

Quote:
Every believer seems to overlook the fact that there are a wide variety of power supplies in use. If a cable made the same "improvement" on every power supply it would be very odd indeed. It would be like insisting that chocolate sauce poured over any food would be delicious. That the chocolate sauce made things better whether it was on ice cream or a piece of garlic pork. It is equally ridiculous to expect the same cable (assuming, arguendo, there is a difference) to have the same effect on a diode rectifier and a tube rectifier. A little technical knowledge shows that they work on *very* different principles. If people think the effect is the same on each, that is a strong indicator pointing at the "difference" being entirely psychological. As does everything else in the cable debate.

Though playing devil's advocate, that can also explain why cables 'work' with some setups and a difference can be heard and 'do not work' with other setups.

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM Post #215 of 417
I just made this today, it is 18x3awg stock power cable shortened to 3 inches. It is my answer to patrick's judge cable :p. After a few minutes of listening, I think I hear more clarity in mids than with my 3 ft 14 awg cable, but still not the kind of coherent high frequency bloom I had with only thick power cables. 

Pics of the power cables in my rig http://img5.imageshack.us/g/cimg0546j.jpg/

wall outlet>4.5 feet audio-gd power cable>ac-215>diy small cable>audio-gd power filter (yes I know two power conditioners in a row is bad, but it sounds okay to me ^^)>2x more audio-gd power cables, one to dac another to amp.

I will do more listening tests, if it sounds good, I will try to make it by soldering copper power connectors together and no wires at all.

Jul 5, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #216 of 417
Seriously though, why would you ever consider replacing your power cord with and aftermarket power cord.

I got this one.   Because it's the length I want; ten or twelve feet.  Has excellent build quality, is shielded and has a great looking knit cover.  What's not to like?  Nothing wrong with wanting your gear to look good.

cool.gif

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #217 of 417

Quote:
I got this one.   Because it's the length I want; ten or twelve feet.  Has excellent build quality, is shielded and has a great looking knit cover.  What's not to like?  Nothing wrong with wanting your gear to look good.

cool.gif

Absolutely.  No problem at all.  
I confess, I've even spent money before making the insides of my PC look nice.  

The debate only begins when the "sound of the power cord" gets involved.  

Jul 6, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #218 of 417
I'm purposely staying out of that can of worms as what I can or can't hear, don't matter.  Why?  Because they're my set of ears and it's my bliss.  Besides, every time anybody opens up a can of worms, all they got's looking back at them is a bunch of worms.  This, no matter how hard they try and look.

Heard a $55k (USD) sound system today..........I want one but my room is too small.

tongue.gif

Now, if I can only open up the sound stage on these headphones and get some more separation while removing some of this veiling, I'll be in tall cotton.

L3000.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #219 of 417

Quote:
I'm purposely staying out of that can of worms as what I can or can't hear, don't matter.  Why?  Because they're my set of ears and it's my bliss.  Besides, every time anybody opens up a can of worms, all they got's looking back at them is a bunch of worms.  This, no matter how hard they try and look.

You're my new favorite person

edit -
I spoke too soon.. you quickly made it to the bottom of my list

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #220 of 417

Bad news, the sound of the power cord got involved and it sucked.  Now I have a two hundred dollar audiophile grade, ten foot power cord that's only good for providing current to the Christmas tree lights.

(Why no crying emoticon, when you need one.)

beerchug.gif

Jul 9, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #221 of 417
Quote:

Bad news, the sound of the power cord got involved and it sucked.  Now I have a two hundred dollar audiophile grade, ten foot power cord that's only good for providing current to the Christmas tree lights.

(Why no crying emoticon, when you need one.)

beerchug.gif

At least you've got one really hi-fi Christmas tree now.

Jul 9, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #222 of 417
At least you've got one really hi-fi Christmas tree now.

Maybe Santa will leave me better presents.

tongue.gif

What was even worse, it looked cheap and didn't even look good.

"You paid how much for that?!"

Boo, Hoo, Hoo!

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #225 of 417
Just sell it and move on.

Thanks for the suggestion but I can't sell something that I know doesn't work as described.  That would be unethical.  I'm happy to eat the purchase price and I'm happy to continue using the three dollar computer power cable which works better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back