Power Amp Skeptic
May 9, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #16 of 24
In an ideal world, any amplifier would just increase the amplitude of the signal fed into it. But, sadly, this isn't an ideal world, and every amplifier tends to add it's own signature to the sound. Where it's a good or bad thing is debatable.

~Phewl.

May 9, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by finoyvoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, theory has no place anymore, only experience matters. Let's replace all those silly engineers with people who have experience. Hey, audiophiles have plenty of experience! We should let them design your grandfather's pacemaker.

Quite a twist in the panties - Pete Millett works with tubes and SS in his designs, but during daylight hours, it is all digital silicon, so, it is not mutually exclusive.

There is a mix - and I would bet most EE under 40, or so, do believe tubes dead for the most part, if they are even aware of the existence thereof, as they have never had access to the experience, and their employers make money in sand, and only sand. At least that was my experience working at TI for a decade.

Twist on.

May 9, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #18 of 24
It disturbs me somewhat when I hear stories of electrical engineers reckoning all sorts of things about audio electronics that simply aren't true. I have the same beef with doctors and other professionals who think so strongly that they know something that they aren't open to the possibility of what they were taught being wrong.

May 9, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by finoyvoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, theory has no place anymore, only experience matters. Let's replace all those silly engineers with people who have experience. Hey, audiophiles have plenty of experience! We should let them design your grandfather's pacemaker.

That clearly isn't what I said. Go build a bridge and calm down
wink.gif

May 9, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have to understand that when a person becomes an engineer their farts start smelling sweet and refreshing. Hence, why all engineers have their heads up their asses!

Hey, at least they're more useful than lawyers.

May 9, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quite a twist in the panties - Pete Millett works with tubes and SS in his designs, but during daylight hours, it is all digital silicon, so, it is not mutually exclusive.

There is a mix - and I would bet most EE under 40, or so, do believe tubes dead for the most part, if they are even aware of the existence thereof, as they have never had access to the experience, and their employers make money in sand, and only sand. At least that was my experience working at TI for a decade.

Twist on.

Wasn't expressing my disbelief the tubes, just reciprocating Toby's outrageous comment with another.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That clearly isn't what I said. Go build a bridge and calm down
wink.gif

I appreciate you hanging your lure under the bridge, so I'll grab at it. Generalizing all engineers as skeptics isn't fair imo, and bridges aren't as trivial as you seem to think they are. It sounds like you think engineers have nothing to do with designing all the gear you've been using. pabbi1 said it pretty well, though he misread my intentions.

May 9, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #22 of 24
Again this isn't what I said. I put forward an amusing anecdote or 'joke'. I think you'll find they're somewhat prevalent in this thread.

Cry me a river, design a structurally sound bridge and get over it.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #23 of 24
Keep in mind that many engineers also do not have trained or musician's ears. I know an older generation engineer type of guy who insists that solid state is much better because of frequency extentions but he is oblivious to tonal qualities of tubes. Also, I doubt that he has done A/B comparisions of various amps and he is not even really a fan of music per se. So the warm sound probably does not impress him. Plus, we live in a society where most people have never heard a modern tube amp.

May 9, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again this isn't what I said. I put forward an amusing anecdote or 'joke'. I think you'll find they're somewhat prevalent in this thread.

Cry me a river, design a structurally sound bridge and get over it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh haha, I wasn't quite sure. Seemed much more like an ill informed comment than a joke, your material needs some work. Be careful in those mauls man! Brain cells are important for your thinking.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back