Power amp recommendation
Mar 31, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #16 of 67

I'm also considering putting together a system for use with Tektons. I'm investigating tube amps, specifically the Prima Luna line. 

If I wanted solid state, and balanced inputs, I would be giving the Schiit Ragnarok serious consideration.

Schiit: very long story! I somehow lost my faith in Schiit. The Yggy seems to be really, really good, but their amps are somewhat mediocre, at least the ones I had. Aren't they veering into two-channel power amps? I have not seen anything on their website lately when they'd come out. The Ragnarok has some mixed reviews.

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #17 of 67
Does anyone have experience with the Emotiva XPA-2? It's a true brute and it looks almost too good to be true. Can't believe that someone is capable of building such a tank for this price. And how does it sound?

Apr 1, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #18 of 67
Just reread OG post. Def dedicated 2 channel and balanced xlr. What qualities of your gsx amp do you like the most? What characteristics do you want it to carry over

As the GSX-Mk2 is a fully balanced amp and pre-amp, I'd like to exploit its balanced characteristics. So, I basically scan available power amps for balanced input options. There are many power amps with XLR inputs, and if they are within the budget, they get shortlisted. So far I have Rotel RB-1552 Mk II, Odyssey Audio Stratos, and Audio by Van Alstine Synergy 450 on my radar. The Van Alstine does not come with XLR inputs, but for 200 $ they'd provide one with XLR inputs. Whether it is then fully balanced, I would not know.

And then, all of a sudden, I was caught by the idea of buying a separate, fully integrated amp, based on DARKO's glowing reviews of the Peachtree Nova 150/300, and leave my DAC/Streamer/GSX-Mk2 for dedicated headphone listening. But as I have all the components ready, it would be good of combining them with a good power amp. That's what I'll do! But again, I need to do quite a bit of reading yet.

Apr 3, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #19 of 67
  Does anyone have experience with the Emotiva XPA-2? It's a true brute and it looks almost too good to be true. Can't believe that someone is capable of building such a tank for this price. And how does it sound?

The  Emotiva XPA-2 is a capable and neutral power amp.  A number of years ago a friend who worked for Martin Logan pointed me at Emotiva saying saying that it was the least expensive amplifier he would be willing to recommend / used when driving his speakers, and than he didn't hear significant improvement in sound quality until amplifiers that were 3x more costly.

It's been years since I have done extensive blind A/B/X testing of power amps, but I don't things have changes too much. I heard small/no sonic differences when trying a large number of solid state class-A/B power amps (Rotel, Classe, Mark Levinson, Chord, Parasound, etc) provided they had adequate power for the speakers they were driving. I found the source/preamp dollars-fr-dollar made a much bigger difference in sound quality

--mark

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #20 of 67

The  Emotiva XPA-2 is a capable and neutral power amp.  A number of years ago a friend who worked for Martin Logan pointed me at Emotiva saying saying that it was the least expensive amplifier he would be willing to recommend / used when driving his speakers, and than he didn't hear significant improvement in sound quality until amplifiers that were 3x more costly.

It's been years since I have done extensive blind A/B/X testing of power amps, but I don't things have changes too much. I heard small/no sonic differences when trying a large number of solid state class-A/B power amps (Rotel, Classe, Mark Levinson, Chord, Parasound, etc) provided they had adequate power for the speakers they were driving. I found the source/preamp dollars-fr-dollar made a much bigger difference in sound quality

--mark

In the meantime, I read some really bad reviews concerning the Emotive XPA-2. It does not seem to be the most liked amp in the community. Maybe it is too cheap?

I do agree with you that amp comparisons are very subjective and to get to a meaningful conclusion, a lot of A/B/X testing is required. Whether it is worth doing it, I don't know.

Yes, pre-amp consideration is important. That's why I'd like to have an integrated approach to avoid the hassle that the pre-amp does not match well with the power amp. But I might be too cautious.

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #21 of 67
You could skip the NOVA, sell the GSK-mk2, the dac and all your cabeling and get a Vinnie Rossie LIO which is GSX-mk level but with everything else you'd ever need built in.  Not sure why people don't talk about it as much on this forum.  Plus it's modular and upgradable so you can always have the latest updates.  The power amp module is only 25w but he has a 75 watt version coming out (will mean replacing the nice corian sides with aluminum ones thouught) and he does have a seperate high-power power amp if needed.  But I've been amazed at what speakers it powers.  It's 2 ohm stable too.  I'm using them with speakers that state they need min 45 watts and have used them with 100 watt min speakers as a test.  It replaced a emotiva XPA-2.  It has the single best set of reviews I've ever read.

Apr 5, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #22 of 67

Schiit: very long story! I somehow lost my faith in Schiit. The Yggy seems to be really, really good, but their amps are somewhat mediocre, at least the ones I had. Aren't they veering into two-channel power amps? I have not seen anything on their website lately when they'd come out. The Ragnarok has some mixed reviews.

I listened to the prototype of the Schiit Vidar at The Schiitr last weekend and was impressed, especially when driving the KEF LS50s.  On my next visit I'll spend some time with the LS50s, which I have on order,  and the Ragnarok. I have a small listening room and an amp with 50-100 watts is all I currently need. I'm not concerned about mixed reviews, If my ears are satisfied, that's all that matters to me.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #23 of 67

I listened to the prototype of the Schiit Vidar at The Schiitr last weekend and was impressed, especially when driving the KEF LS50s.  On my next visit I'll spend some time with the LS50s, which I have on order,  and the Ragnarok. I have a small listening room and an amp with 50-100 watts is all I currently need. I'm not concerned about mixed reviews, If my ears are satisfied, that's all that matters to me.

Nice that you had the opportunity to visit the new Schiitr. From Europe, travelling would be a little excessive 
confused_face.gif

I am anxiously waiting for the release of the Vidar. Sounds like a very good and economic system. I read many times that the LS50s are somewhat power hungry. So if the Vidars are capable of driving them, they have quite a bit of power reserve and other loudspeakers can be driven as well. I'm interested to see how the pre-amp of the GSX-Mk2 pairs with the Vidars. Interesting experiment!

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #24 of 67
You could skip the NOVA, sell the GSK-mk2, the dac and all your cabeling and get a Vinnie Rossie LIO which is GSX-mk level but with everything else you'd ever need built in.  Not sure why people don't talk about it as much on this forum.  Plus it's modular and upgradable so you can always have the latest updates.  The power amp module is only 25w but he has a 75 watt version coming out (will mean replacing the nice corian sides with aluminum ones thouught) and he does have a seperate high-power power amp if needed.  But I've been amazed at what speakers it powers.  It's 2 ohm stable too.  I'm using them with speakers that state they need min 45 watts and have used them with 100 watt min speakers as a test.  It replaced a emotiva XPA-2.  It has the single best set of reviews I've ever read.

Yes indeed, I heard many good things about the LIO, you're absolutely right. However, Vinnie Rossi's designs occurred rather expensive to me. One thing I'd never do is to sell my GSX-Mk2. This was the headphone amp that stopped me wanting to upgrade to something else. So I'd rather exploit the GSX to its max by taking advantage of its pre amp.

But you're right, Vinnie Rossi's amps are attractive, and yes, they deserve more interest in this forum!

Apr 15, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #25 of 67
Well, I've finally gotten off the mark and purchased a PrimaLuna tube amp. 36 wpc should be more then enough for a pair of Tekton Lores. 

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #27 of 67
Emotiva amps are built in the same factory Parasound amps are so I'm not surprised at the quality. In the past a lot of Lexicon gear was just Oppo stuff with a different metal casing. A lot of vendors sell virtually identical gear built from the same Chinese factories at much higher price points, the price itself being part of the prestige of the product, but it may not be scientifically any better :wink:

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:44 AM Post #28 of 67
Well, I've finally gotten off the mark and purchased a PrimaLuna tube amp. 36 wpc should be more then enough for a pair of Tekton Lores. 

Fantastic! I'm sure the Prima Luna is a GREAT amp, I've read many good reviews about it! Could let us know how it plays with the Tekton Lores? I'd be truly interested to know, as I'm myself considering purchasing the Tektons.

I was about to pull the trigger for a Ragnarok, but haven't done it yet. As of speakers, I am about to evaluate the ATC SCM 11, B&W 685 S2, and ProAc Studio 118. There are local dealers in the area, but traveling to the US just for the Tektons is a bit too much :))

Do enjoy your Prima Luna!

Apr 16, 2017 at 12:55 AM Post #29 of 67
Emotiva amps are built in the same factory Parasound amps are so I'm not surprised at the quality. In the past a lot of Lexicon gear was just Oppo stuff with a different metal casing. A lot of vendors sell virtually identical gear built from the same Chinese factories at much higher price points, the price itself being part of the prestige of the product, but it may not be scientifically any better :wink:

Didn't know that the Emotivas are built at Parasound's. But does this tell something about the quality of the gear? The JOB amps derive from the Goldmund amps, etc. Unfortunately, all these amps produced by alternative vendors never get the reputation to know if they are just cheap or they keep the quality of the original equipment. I don't need flashy platinum faceplates or anything luxurious, but the product must be good.

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #30 of 67
DAR_KO just wrote a nice comparison between KEF's LS50 and ELAC's Uni-Fi BS U5 Slim

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/04/elacs-uni-fi-bs-u5-slim-is-a-righteous-contender/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back