Power amp recommendation
Mar 19, 2017 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

biosailor

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry if raising a thread that had been already asked, but I skimmed through a couple of threads and they are really, really old. So if any one is interested to give feedback, very welcome indeed!

I have a Headamp GSX-Mk2 headphone amp and I'd like to venture into two channel speaker area by connecting the GSX-Mk2's pre-amplifier to a power amp. So far, I came up with the following suggestions:

Odyssey Audio, Stratos Stereo, 2x150W (http://www.odysseyaudio.com/products-stratos-stereo.html)
Audio by Van Alstine, Synergy 240, 2x120W (http://www.avahifi.com/products/power-amplifiers/synergy-amplifiers)
Lindell Audio AmpX, 2x20W (http://www.4sound.se/studio/slutsteg/lindell-audio-ampx)

The Lindell amp puts much less power onto the scale than the Odyssey and the Van Austin amps. However, I am thinking of buying speakers with relatively high sensitivity (for example the Tekton Lores). For those speakers, anything above 20W is overkill. Nevertheless, I still want to keep the options of less sensitive speakers.

One prerequisite is that the amp needs to have balanced XLR inputs.

Any suggestions are highly welcome! Thanks!

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 67
If you can stretch your budget, I'd also consider a used Ayre V-5xe (150 W x 2 into 8 ohms, 300 W x 2 into 4 ohms) or First Watt J2 (25 W x 2 into 8 ohms).

If you want to get even more obscure, you can look into the First Watt F1J (one for sale in the forums) and pair it with full-range single driver speakers. Nelson Pass wrote an article about that a while back - http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_amps.pdf

I can vouch for Ayre, as I've heard that amp at the audio shop when auditioning speakers. The Nelson Pass / First Watt gear I recommend based on reputation.

I've also listened to Odyssey and Van Alstine electronics under show conditions. I think either would do fine.

Hope this helps!

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #3 of 67
  If you can stretch your budget, I'd also consider a used Ayre V-5xe (150 W x 2 into 8 ohms, 300 W x 2 into 4 ohms) or First Watt J2 (25 W x 2 into 8 ohms).

If you want to get even more obscure, you can look into the First Watt F1J (one for sale in the forums) and pair it with full-range single driver speakers. Nelson Pass wrote an article about that a while back - http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_amps.pdf

I can vouch for Ayre, as I've heard that amp at the audio shop when auditioning speakers. The Nelson Pass / First Watt gear I recommend based on reputation.

I've also listened to Odyssey and Van Alstine electronics under show conditions. I think either would do fine.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, page, for the reply!

I haven't thought about Ayre, as I followed Ayre more on the side of being a good producer of DACs. But I agree, it is certainly worthwhile looking into all possible options.

First Watt, yes, I did hear many good things about Nelson Pass' equipment. But I am totally unfamiliar with his designs. What's so special about the J2? I hear it being recommended a lot!

I haven't decided about the speakers yet, whether a more sensitive one like the Tektons or a less sensitive one. So I keep my options for low/high wattage amps.

BTW I just received an e-mail from Frank Van Austin that they developed a new balanced power amp, with four discrete audio channels, 350W output, so a real giant! It will be available in about four weeks and the price is about 3700$. Not cheap, but since I have a balanced pre-amp, it is an interesting option!

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #4 of 67
Just found another interesting power amp: the JOB 225 (http://www.jobsys.com/products.htm). It's based on the Swiss high-end Goldmund amplifier, but sells at much less (approx. 1700 USD). It's got raving reviews (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/job/1.html, for example) and it's been constantly overlooked. I have to read more into it. Si if one of you high-end people happens to have one, I'd be glad to get feedback!

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 67
All of Ayre's electronics are fully balanced, so it'll definitely take full advantage of the pre-outs on the GS-X mk II.

What makes the J2 unique is that the transistors in the main circuit are all JFETs. You can get the straight scoop from the product webpage as well as more details about the design and its performance in the manual. I know that Charley Hansen, main designer at Ayre, also prefers to use JFETs when possible (specifically some out of production Toshiba ones).

I've read things here and there about the JOB amps. They seem like a good deal.

Another manufacturer to consider is Simaudio. Also fond of no overall feedback circuitry and balanced design like Ayre. Their previous flagship power amps were quite good (the W-7 & W-8) but seem to be rather rare on the used market nowadays. Their new, more affordable Neo amps might also fit the bill. I really like the sound of the headphone amp in that line - the 430HA.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 67

Simaudio was also on my radar. I know that Tyll Hertsens is a big fan of the Moon Neo 430HA. Citing him in his Big Sound 2015 Wrap Up: 'This amp will be going back to Simaudio when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers 
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-wrap-my-take-headphone-amps#PHgkc9VixjV4cfom.99

I'm going through a difficult phase in my decision: what if the pre-amp I have puts out too much/too little power for the power amp, what if the entire audio chain just doesn't fit? What if there's excessive noise generated, what if ...

Terrible!

I am also thinking along the lines of a highly integrated amp like the Peachtree Nova300/150. Or the Auralic Polaris. Everything included, no hassle regarding component matching. All it takes is to add a pair of nice speakers. And I'd keep my excellent headphone listening station. It's worth a thought!

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 67
  I am also thinking along the lines of a highly integrated amp like the Peachtree Nova300/150. Or the Auralic Polaris. Everything included, no hassle regarding component matching. All it takes is to add a pair of nice speakers. And I'd keep my excellent headphone listening station. It's worth a thought!

True - plus you'll probably get a remote control too. Personally, I use an integrated amp in my speaker setup. I've read good things about Devialet - so there's another maker to consider. I've also listened to the Ayre AX-7e (recently discontinued) and if you can find it on the used market, would make a good heart for your system. It doesn't give up much ground from the AX-5 Twenty that I currently have.

One other power amp to consider - Benchmark Media's AHB2. I believe that amp has selectable gain on its inputs, so it might be more flexible with preamp matching should you decide to opt for something else than the GS-X mk II in the future. The bonus is that it's pretty small and runs cool so it can fit in tight spaces.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #8 of 67

True - plus you'll probably get a remote control too. Personally, I use an integrated amp in my speaker setup. I've read good things about Devialet - so there's another maker to consider. I've also listened to the Ayre AX-7e (recently discontinued) and if you can find it on the used market, would make a good heart for your system. It doesn't give up much ground from the AX-5 Twenty that I currently have.

One other power amp to consider - Benchmark Media's AHB2. I believe that amp has selectable gain on its inputs, so it might be more flexible with preamp matching should you decide to opt for something else than the GS-X mk II in the future. The bonus is that it's pretty small and runs cool so it can fit in tight spaces.

Devialet seems to be the Rolls Royce among the integrated amps. A bit too pricey for me, but a true race horse! The Ayre Ayre AX-7e looks interesting, with its 60W/channel, not such a big gun as others. I was following Ayre mostly when I was looking for a good digital to analog converter. The QB-9 is a real winner, but I wasn't really looking into the Ayre amps.

Thanks for suggesting the Benchmark AHB2, and thanks for all your suggestions for that matter! Again, I mostly followed Benchmark for their DAC2. It was criticised to be overly bright, so I didn't go that route, but Stereophile reviewed the AHB2 very favourably!

For the moment I am leaning towards the Peachtree Nova150/300. They seem to be very nice units and DARKO reviewed them extensively with very good marks ('A new generation calling: The utterly marvellous Peachtree nova150 http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/09/a-new-generation-calling-the-utterly-marvellous-peachtree-nova150/
'Dancing with the big boys: the powerfully persuasive Peachtree nova300 http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/01/dancing-with-the-big-boys-the-powerfully-persuasive-peachtree-nova300/). All you need is a mac mini to store/feed your music in, and voilà, add loudspeakers.

Mar 30, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 67
Also not sure the tektons are going to scale up to par with a lot of the amps being talked about. Nelson Pass amps are known to be the best there is. Ayre and simaudio are great balanced designs. Not sure if you're a tube guy but with those speakers I don't think buying anything better than a parasound a23 would be beneficial. If you don't mind tubes I'd check out Leben amps. They're known to be amazingly beautiful and honestly not bad badly priced for what they are. There's also primaluna amps but I'd say they're more of a gooey sounding amp. Ever check out stereophile recommended components? The new 2017 issue just came out.

Mar 30, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #11 of 67

Simaudio was also on my radar. I know that Tyll Hertsens is a big fan of the Moon Neo 430HA. Citing him in his Big Sound 2015 Wrap Up: 'This amp will be going back to Simaudio when they pry it from my cold, dead fingers 
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-wrap-my-take-headphone-amps#PHgkc9VixjV4cfom.99

I'm going through a difficult phase in my decision: what if the pre-amp I have puts out too much/too little power for the power amp, what if the entire audio chain just doesn't fit? What if there's excessive noise generated, what if ...

Terrible!

I'm also considering putting together a system for use with Tektons. I'm investigating tube amps, specifically the Prima Luna line. 

If I wanted solid state, and balanced inputs, I would be giving the Schiit Ragnarok serious consideration.

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #12 of 67
Depends on music being listened to also. If I had the money to redo my system I'd probably make it revolve around the surround sound system. cheap but great dispersion on wall speakers ALL around that I could cross over at 80-100hz, monoprice multichannel amp and anthem preamp receiverformtheirmsuoerior room correction software and most of the money going towards dat bass I.E. subs

Mar 30, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 67
Just reread OG post. Def dedicated 2 channel and balanced xlr. What qualities of your gsx amp do you like the most? What characteristics do you want it to carry over

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #14 of 67
Are people still waiting two years for their tektons?

Good question! I sent a mail to tektondesign@gmail.com some five weeks ago and I have not heard back. In general, I do not like it if a vendor does not respond as it is in his/her own interest to have satisfied customers. If this is a sign of the lead time they need to produce a loudspeaker, I'd definitely say it'll take years to make the M-lores!

Mar 31, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #15 of 67
Also not sure the tektons are going to scale up to par with a lot of the amps being talked about. Nelson Pass amps are known to be the best there is. Ayre and simaudio are great balanced designs. Not sure if you're a tube guy but with those speakers I don't think buying anything better than a parasound a23 would be beneficial. If you don't mind tubes I'd check out Leben amps. They're known to be amazingly beautiful and honestly not bad badly priced for what they are. There's also primaluna amps but I'd say they're more of a gooey sounding amp. Ever check out stereophile recommended components? The new 2017 issue just came out.

I was attracted by the Tektons because of the review I read in Eall of Sound

http://wallofsound.ca/audioreviews/tekton-design-m-lore-floorstanding-loudspeaker/

Pretty glowing review. But of course, I am aware that the speakers will be the most important part in the audio chain. I do not have a large living room, so I was basically considering bookshelf speakers and among those I focussed onto the Sierra 1/2 speakers from Ascend Acoustics, till I stumbled on the Tektons. As I was not sure which amp to buy, I also wanted to keep my options for high-sensitivity loudspeakers. But as I decided to go for some beefy amps, sensitivity is not such an issue any more.

I've recently seen a Primaluna power amp at a local dealer's shop and they do look flashy! Haven't had a chance to listen to them, but I try this weekend to have a go at them.

Leben has a good reputation, but it's hard to find a dealer in the area. And thanks for the Stereophile recommendations, will look it up! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back