Post your Photography Here!
Aug 24, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #1,726 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a Paris panorama. Thumbnail for those who don't have screens 1600 pixels wide (I have a 8000px one on my HDD
tongue.gif
):

That's an awesome picture! What camera/lens did you use to take it?

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #1,729 of 1,784
Great stuff here lately! Love the dog, DJ. Love the sheep, Gobs. Mbriant, that's some tack sharp stuff!

GT, I just got a shinny new 22" monitor, and your panorama fits perfectly. Cool.

Diagonal-Hemi.jpg

I've posted this one before, but they make a good set.

wasp3.jpg

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #1,730 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobs of Lub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
love the pics mbriant, especially homeboy on the Rickenbacker!

recycling
ps0085.jpg

Killer!! Love this one.

Aug 26, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #1,731 of 1,784

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #1,732 of 1,784
Gobs of Lub, Samgotit, and everyone else who are taking these incredibly sharp, rich, macro insect photos .... how do you do it? I'm assuming you're using a tripod for starters? They look like they're taken with a wide apature and natural light ... or are you using a flash/ring flash?

Aug 26, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #1,733 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Gobs of Lub, Samgotit, and everyone else who are taking these incredibly sharp, rich, macro insect photos .... how do you do it? I'm assuming you're using a tripod for starters? They look like they're taken with a wide apature and natural light ... or are you using a flash/ring flash?

If it helps, here's the EXIF of the one MrVile posted:

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
Image Date: 2007:07:20 16:29:23
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 87.0mm
CCD Width: 5.14mm
Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 400
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

And the one from jbloudg20:

Image Date: 2007:08:18 09:59:50
Focal Length: 300.0mm
CCD Width: 3.85mm
Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Quick enough photos to not use a tripod. A decent sharp lens helps a lot, wether it's a Tele like jbloudg20 used, or a 50mm prime (I suspect?) that MrVile used. Low-ish apature so that the DOF is limited but without corrupting the sharpness of the lens is a great start.

Great shots! Really make me want to go out and hunt some bugs this week.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 12:22 AM Post #1,734 of 1,784
Quote:

I used this lens and a d80.. natural light and handheld, guess that VR is working!

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #1,735 of 1,784
Quote:

Sigma 105mm Macro (@f/11-f/13 usually). Extension tubes and a good prime worked for me before I had the dedicated macro lens, though. But, dedicated is great due to greater working distance.

Monopod or handheld. I don’t use a tripod for bugs. (I like a monopod with twist locks. If I'm hiking around I use it to poke around in front of me. Twist locks don't get caught in the brush like fip-locks can.)

Flash bracket that gets the flash down near the leans. This is the one i use: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...I_Bracket.html

Flash is diffused with paper towel, secured with a rubber band.
smily_headphones1.gif

I adjust the flash at my whim. I wish there was way I could explain, but I think it's just more intuitive and based on your own gear.

Photoshop: I use smart sharpen, adjust color temp (my favorite slider), fiddle with curves a little sometimes.

When I first got a DSLR I used this guy’s guide. He’s a great macro shooter:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/mimicry/discuss/66514/

Aug 27, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #1,737 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Image Date: 2007:07:20 16:29:23
Focal Length: 87.0mm
CCD Width: 5.14mm
Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)
ISO equiv: 400
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

Heh, that isn't a really good example of a classic macro shot since the robberfly was sort of shot in emergency-mode.

Anyway, my main setup is either a 100mm macro, tubes optional, and a hotshoe flash mounted off-camera. This is my setup for standard macros of smaller bugs. I keep the shutter at 1/200, aperture is f/8 or f/11, and I snap away. Proper use of flash keeps the photos sharp.

My secondary setup (which I find myself using a lot more now) is just a 70-300IS. I use it to shoot bigger bugs and I love it because of IS, which keeps my photos sharp. I try to keep the shutter speed over 1/200 and aperture set to f/5.6 or f/6.3.

No tripod for me, it's very difficult trying to shoot bugs with a tripod.

But really though, it doesn't matter what gear you use, especially for something like macro. I've seen some of the best shots taken with like, reversed 50 attached straight to the camera. Whatever works best for you, so experiment and don't be afraid to take risks and try new things.

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #1,739 of 1,784
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is an EXIF (I assume it is some sort of properties file that allows you to gather the info on someone else's picture), and how do you obtain it?

Aug 27, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #1,740 of 1,784
On a Mac, you just right click (or ctrl click) the photo and select info. I'd assume it's roughly the same on a PC? You can only do it for files that have been converted retaining the info though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back