Post Your Photography Here #2
Mar 5, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #10,427 of 15,743
The best image I have taken, well the most rewarding to myself.

Mar 5, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #10,428 of 15,743
I'm looking to get a cheap, yet good long distance lens for my Sony DSLR-A100. The lens I have right now is the stock lens (3.5-5.6/18-70). Any recommendations? A lens hood to go with it would be pretty cool too.

Mar 6, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #10,429 of 15,743
Quote:
As per another members inspiration I broke out my macro gear and took these

*snip*

Nice! I'll try to shoot some more macro this week, and maybe even some micro in the next few weeks!
I just heard that our school has a microscope which can be attached to a camera
wink.gif

Mar 7, 2013 at 1:09 PM Post #10,431 of 15,743

New lens hood just arrived. Heres a little comparison of before and after:
        BEFORE.

AFTER.

Mar 7, 2013 at 9:45 PM Post #10,432 of 15,743
Quote:
Nice! I'll try to shoot some more macro this week, and maybe even some micro in the next few weeks!
I just heard that our school has a microscope which can be attached to a camera
wink.gif

I spent two years working with a camera microscope set up in school. Get a polarizer and put it below the slide. Get another put in on-top of the slide. Crystallize some vitamin C by drying some out on the slide mixed with water.

Basicly try and photograph any chemical which will crystallize. I spent forever doing it. I would post the pictures but they are slides.

It's called birefringence photomicrography, if you want to look it up.

Mar 8, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #10,434 of 15,743
Mar 9, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #10,435 of 15,743
And now for something completely different...

I had two polaroid cameras sitting around so I decided it was time to try out the impossible project film just for the heck of it:

Yup, I made the noob mistake and caught my own shadow. One of the problems with a rough viewfinder. 
wink.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #10,437 of 15,743
Quote:
And now for something completely different...

I had two polaroid cameras sitting around so I decided it was time to try out the impossible project film just for the heck of it:

Yup, I made the noob mistake and caught my own shadow. One of the problems with a rough viewfinder. 
wink.gif

The first shot reminded me of this new photoshop effect I just figured out. After finding it by chance I realized that others have been using it and over-using it for years.

You open up a RAW file in PS 5.1, then you see the sliders before going into the basic photoshop program. You then move the clarity slider toward the un-clarity area and you get that pixal softness that you have captured with Polaroid film. Not the color but the soft detail, only.

Mar 9, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #10,438 of 15,743
Quote:
New lens hood just arrived. Heres a little comparison of before and after:

Because of where you are aiming, these two shots are exposed differently. The second one is slightly darker and the sky isn't blown out because you are pointing more towards the sky and the camera adjusted the metering. It's also steady so there's no motion blur, and that makes it look clearer. Otherwise I don't see a difference, and that makes sense since it looks like you are standing in the shade.

A hood only has an impact on your image if you would normally have light reflecting off the front element or filter of your lens if the hood wasn't there (look at the front of your camera, is the lens glass in light or shadow). It eliminates lens flare/glare from the sun or street lights outside of the image area by acting as a well engineered shade that will cover the lens as much as possible without getting in the way of the image (less so on zooms because it can only shade enough for the wide end of the zoom). In a pinch if you don't have a hood you can do the same thing with your hand or a piece of paper, though you have to be paying attention to the glare in the first place, which can be hard through a viewfinder. A hood will also protect the lens from debris and spray though somewhat, which is nice.

Personally I rarely use lens hoods, mainly because I find many of them inconvenient to carry in my bag, and I use polarizer filers a lot, which is really difficult if you have to remove the hood to adjust it. I have payed for that from time to time with a shot lost to glare. The one time I use the hood a lot is with the canon 70-200 outdoors, because the 70-200 is very easy to accidentally pick up glare and hard to shade by hand.

Good luck exploring the camera, hope to see some cool photos posted here soon 
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #10,439 of 15,743
The camera settings remained the same, and I pointed in that direction because the sun was to my left. I basically shot the first pic, put the hood on and shot the second as close to the original spot as possible. I didn't even move, I stood in the same position.

Mar 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #10,440 of 15,743

Some more macro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back