Post Your Photography Here #2
Nov 3, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #8,926 of 15,743

my cat sleeping on my bed, but he really thinks it's his......

Nov 4, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #8,927 of 15,743
I agree, a 100mm macro lens is a specialized tool.
While if would work well for portraits and similar on a FF camera, on a crop sensor you buy it for macro work exclusively.

As a 100mm macro user, I can tell you it is only good for those two things. I have not found another use for one.

There are very limited circumstances where you can use a 100 in nature. Here's are a couple I took with a 100 macro. (Remember to click to enlarge these)

These kind of shots are very difficult because of the extremely long focal length. You find yourself having difficulty framing these kinds of shots at 100mm, it's not a natural distance to compose at.

That said, they're really good at macro, and second to none in sharpness.

But you can get great, sharp, dynamic, and colorful images even with kit lenses.

In the end, for a while it comes down to having skill more than the lenses you own at first. I find the easiest focal length for composing good images is around 35mm on a crop sensor, which is about a "normal" (1x magnification) lens.

Nov 4, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #8,929 of 15,743
I had a bit of time this morning before work so I decided to take some snaps in my local park.

This is my first time ever posting pics on the internet and I know next to nothing about taking photos and so dont laugh. These are all unedited jpgs straight from my pocket camera.

Nov 4, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #8,930 of 15,743
Welcome to the thread. Nothing to laugh about, I like those rusty gear wheels and the fluffy clouds in the last one.
smile_phones.gif

Nov 4, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #8,935 of 15,743
Quote:
Any idea what those cogs were from or what they controlled?

It use to be a brickyard so I assume it's some sort of associated machinery. The old chimney and kilns are in the background here:

It's now a public park. There's a childrens' playground they just pulled down and are rebuilding (painted bright red - use to be a dull green).

and this locked part I couldnt get into so I just took a pic from the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back