Post Your Photography Here #2
Jun 6, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #8,057 of 15,743
Sadly not my own, but here are a few Cappadocia pics by a friend of mine that I asked permission to post, because I like them very much. We both share a love of the Sigma DP1, but she's also a painter and it shows in the strange way she edits her shots.

Jun 6, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #8,059 of 15,743
More from Japan's streets:
5803794561_4f9b6b5a60_o.jpg

5803794167_f0fec0e267_o.jpg

Jun 6, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #8,060 of 15,743
shigzeo and wink! Great stuff. I like to see the style you guys are running with.

Jun 6, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #8,061 of 15,743
I take happy snaps.
I have 2 nephews who take photographs.
They can stand around after taking a photo and talk for half an hour about the histogram and how to improve the next shot.

I keep telling them that the camera manufacturers spend millions of dollars on hundreds of engineers to make the cameras as automatic as possible,
and then my nephews buy them and set everything on manual to take a photo......................

Jun 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM Post #8,064 of 15,743
Quote:
I keep telling them that the camera manufacturers spend millions of dollars on hundreds of engineers to make the cameras as automatic as possible,
and then my nephews buy them and set everything on manual to take a photo......................

Even on 'Manual' you still get the benefit of some of the automatic technology, unless you disable it all on purpose. All that setting the dial to 'M' (on a Nikon, at least) does is lock in the shutter speed, aperture and ISO. The ADL, NR, WB, etc are still at work unless you turn them off. Even the meter is still working - it gives you little bars in your viewfinder to tell you if it thinks the exposure is good, you just don't have to listen to it.

(I'm on Mackinac Island right now and am not editing my photos until I get back so as to preserve my free time - I'll probably start posting new stuff somewhere around this weekend)

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #8,066 of 15,743

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #8,067 of 15,743

Jun 8, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #8,068 of 15,743

The tire-tracks at sunset are a never ending mixture of light and shadow.

Jun 11, 2011 at 4:53 AM Post #8,069 of 15,743
I've been staying in Liguria/Italy, surrounded by olive groves with thousands of old trees for two weeks. We were greeted by a violent thunderstorm that made all my pictures look like watercolor paintings (of course the dreadful Fuji noise reduction also had a hand in that):

Next day the air was clear and there's a very beautiful kind of light in there (from the reflections off the silvery green leaves), that's unlike anything else I've seen:

I went inside to catch some of this light, but none of my Sigma pics captured anything good. Best that I could do was with my Fuji F300:

Still, this was one of the (rare) occasions when I would have wished for better gear and/or photographic skills...

Jun 11, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #8,070 of 15,743
Some images of Las Vegas (CityCenter) back in January. They were originally in color, but decided B&W was the best treatment.

The entrances were just pouring with light, which made shadows and surfaces really interesting.

I was torn for a bit on how to photograph this part of the mall ceiling, but I liked how it turned out in the end.

This glass walled bridge was really cool, though I wish the slits in between were a bit wider. That's my sister's face on the right side, and if you can see it, I'm on the left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back