Post Your Photography Here #2
Jan 14, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #11,761 of 15,743
Nice!!! Not sure why though, but my camera always create tons of noise at low-light even at 800 ISO.

Thanks for the tips! My friend suggested me to use a business card right in front of the camera flashlight to point the light upward to make things less artificial. It does work but not always. (i dont have a tripod xD)

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #11,762 of 15,743
Not sure why though, but my camera always create tons of noise at low-light even at 800 ISO.

Heat can make noise more visible. Here in Manila I can barely use my E-P2 at night, and it's not just for focusing, unless I'm doing long exposures. The last few weeks however were cold, and I've been able to use them for night street photography at ISO1600 and the noise is easily removed in Lightroom without the colors and sharp details getting smudged. As long as there was a light source to focus on (and if it's wide angle at f5.6, then it doesn't need to be that close to the subject for the latter to be in focus). Check out the photos I posted on page 782, or on my Flickr.

Also, I was in Vegas Spring 2012, and I did a panorama at Fremont Street. I was able to use ISO3200 at night to speed it up. I can't find the file and I probably left it in my brother's computer in California, but here's what I uploaded to my FB, which surprised me when I opened them on his 24in HD monitor as I wasn't used to it having only that much noise:

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #11,763 of 15,743
A rather random question but....does anyone here have some ideas for a nice photo that includes fog?

It's super foggy outside and my creative juices are just not flowing today....

Jan 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #11,765 of 15,743
Foggy weather can create a lot of dew, you can take some cool photos with that in mind I think.

Could be a bit difficult since it's 8pm here right now.

Jan 14, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #11,771 of 15,743
^ Nice greenery, but here's something you down underians don't have...
wink.gif

...moss from Mars!

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #11,772 of 15,743

Heat can make noise more visible. Here in Manila I can barely use my E-P2 at night, and it's not just for focusing, unless I'm doing long exposures. The last few weeks however were cold, and I've been able to use them for night street photography at ISO1600 and the noise is easily removed in Lightroom without the colors and sharp details getting smudged. As long as there was a light source to focus on (and if it's wide angle at f5.6, then it doesn't need to be that close to the subject for the latter to be in focus). Check out the photos I posted on page 782, or on my Flickr.

Also, I was in Vegas Spring 2012, and I did a panorama at Fremont Street. I was able to use ISO3200 at night to speed it up. I can't find the file and I probably left it in my brother's computer in California, but here's what I uploaded to my FB, which surprised me when I opened them on his 24in HD monitor as I wasn't used to it having only that much noise:

So does a few degree.C of differences makes a lot of changes to the noises? @.@ 

My recent trip to Swizerland <3 

Not sure why it looks so noisy here, but on my PC, it's really clear. Something to do with my upload setting?

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #11,773 of 15,743
  So does a few degree.C of differences makes a lot of changes to the noises? @.@

Yes but not directly. I think it has a lot to do with the sensor's heat, but of course ambient heat plays a factor in that - running it 5mins in a tropical climate at 24degC vs running it 5mins in a desert (both at night) at an average of 10degC isn't just "a few degrees." A friend who works for Canon (oddly enough uses Nikon) also says that in addition to heat, tropical climates tend to have more dust in the air, and theoretically that can add to noise in long exposures. Dust particles typically don't show up at fast shutter speeds though.

Not sure why it looks so noisy here, but on my PC, it's really clear. Something to do with my upload setting?

What camera are you using? A lot of smaller sensors tend to have some noise even at low ISO, even on the bright areas in the frame. Darker areas tend to show it more though. Oh, and some software are better at removing it than others - "High" setting on Olympus' image suite isn't as clean as setting it to maximum on Lightroom, given the same RAW file.

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #11,774 of 15,743
Setting the noise reduction to maximum on Lightroom is madness :-D
All this blur...

He must have a pretty old and/or bad camera if it shows any visible noise at the super low ISO he must have used for this shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back