Post Your Photography Here #2
Apr 4, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #10,537 of 15,758
Quote:
You got a Nikon D4 ?!

Yes, for its low-light performance primarily.

For example, this one is 12,800 ISO (24mm, f/2.8, 1/20 shutter):

And this one is 40,637 ISO (14mm, f/2.8, 1/80 shutter):

As you might imagine from those settings, in real life it was quite a bit darker than it looks in that second photo.

It's a pretty versatile camera too (though large and heavy), and so I obviously also use it for more normal, low-ISO, much better lit scenarios:

(The headphone above is called Philips The CRASH.)

I fully admit that it's far more camera than I've got skill, but I've become very comfortable with its 40+ buttons and switches; and I really enjoy the latitude it affords, as far as flashless flexibility in a wide variety of lighting conditions.

When out and about, I found myself using the 35mm f/1.4 more than any other lens, so, for walking around, I picked up a much smaller, much lighter camera that's fixed at an equivalent of that focal length. I was carrying the big Nikon pretty much everywhere, but, after a year, it was a bit much (and way too noticeable in tighter social settings).

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #10,538 of 15,758

I didn't know Nikongod was a DJ. Bet those are his R-10s under the hood.

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #10,539 of 15,758
Nice (well, terrifying, actually) bear!

I've considered the D4 for the phenomenal low-light ability the modern FX sensors have - it would come in handy for my theater work - but I've never been able to justify it to myself, seeing as most of what I do is either wildlife (where I want a DX camera) or landscape (where I don't need the low-light ability). If I actually made serious money with my theater work it might be another story.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #10,543 of 15,758
Tanah Lot Bali Island Indonesia

Playing around last night with the 18mm 1:3.5 NIKKOR serial # 191283

Quote:
There's something I've been thinking about lately too... When I look at people's photos on the internet, most of them fall into two categories... static shots of nature (both wide and close) and cute pictures of babies and dogs. Now I like nature, babies and dogs as much as anyone else, but what's wrong with photos of grown up people? I find the photos that interest me the most are the ones that tell me a story... those ALWAYS involve people doing things... activity... going about their lives.

If an alien life form analyzed our photos to determine what the earth was like, they would think Earth consists of empty expanses of woodlands and water populated by a handful of babies and dogs.

Apr 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #10,544 of 15,758
guys how does the d3200 fare among sensors? 

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #10,545 of 15,758

literally 30 seconds is CS6.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back