Post Your Photography Here #2
Dec 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #10,276 of 15,770
Hey there Photo-fi'ers, I have a question, and also a request for advice. Earlier today I wandered over to the Head-fi group on flickr (http://www.flickr.com/groups/head-fi/) for the first time, and was utterly blown away by the quality of some of the pics I saw. A few in particular left me slack-jawed with awe, and the experience has somewhat inspired me to work on improving my own photography skills, which are still very much beginner level.

I've only ever had an entry-level DSLR, a Canon Rebel T1i, but with just the stock lens and a macro lens I sold. I'm planning to get a new camera soon, but that's a separate discussion. My question is, how hard would it be, and what kind of equipment would I need, to take pictures like the two I'm about to post? What are the most important variables? I appreciate everyone's advice in advance!

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #10,278 of 15,770

Laaaaarge panorama from downtown Helsinki.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #10,280 of 15,770
Hey there Photo-fi'ers, I have a question, and also a request for advice. Earlier today I wandered over to the Head-fi group on flickr (http://www.flickr.com/groups/head-fi/) for the first time, and was utterly blown away by the quality of some of the pics I saw. A few in particular left me slack-jawed with awe, and the experience has somewhat inspired me to work on improving my own photography skills, which are still very much beginner level.
I've only ever had an entry-level DSLR, a Canon Rebel T1i, but with just the stock lens and a macro lens I sold. I'm planning to get a new camera soon, but that's a separate discussion. My question is, how hard would it be, and what kind of equipment would I need, to take pictures like the two I'm about to post? What are the most important variables? I appreciate everyone's advice in advance!

Off camera flash and a softbox on top of that flash is all you really need. If you hadn't sold that macro, that would be a good start too; they're generally made for close up work.
Alternatively, some good quality window light is always a good choice.
Looks like the third photo uses a computer monitor as the primary light source with a warm light behind the camera.

The lenses might be in the 50mm to 100mm range. Camera, who knows -- I'd check the EXIF. The gear really doesn't matter here; the quality of the light matters much more.

Dec 16, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #10,283 of 15,770
Quote:

Besides the camera itself? Nothing you can't already find in a standard household. Light sources, diffusers and reflectors are very easy to prop up/fabricate cheaply.
A window with thin curtains and some alufoil glued to a piece of cardboard, et voilà! an excellent little photo studio. The rest is up to your knack and imagination.

Dec 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #10,288 of 15,770
Besides the camera itself? Nothing you can't already find in a standard household. Light sources, diffusers and reflectors are very easy to prop up/fabricate cheaply.
A window with thin curtains and some alufoil glued to a piece of cardboard, et voilà! an excellent little photo studio. The rest is up to your knack and imagination.

I'm afraid my skills at setting up lighting that would serve for these types of photos is limited. Are there any online tutorials or courses available that could teach me the skills I would need to be able to visualize setting up shots like these?

Also, I assume these were taken with macro lens, what other camera settings would be important and why?

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #10,289 of 15,770
Good old fashioned fooling around can learn you a lot,
But you could start with some variations on contre-jour, maybe fill in some with a reflector.

These tips might seem trivial, but it really is rather simple, in theory.
The difficult part is applying it correctly, and for that you need experience, i.e. keep fooling around.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #10,290 of 15,770

Gonna miss that sunset for sometime.

Brrrr... it's cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back