Post Your Photography Here #2
Feb 8, 2010 at 11:01 PM Post #6,062 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think of the Rolleicord, Agnostic? I've been looking into one as a relatively cheap introduction to medium format.

I think the Rolleicord Vb is a fantastic camera:

I love the handling

I love the finder

I love the square format

I love the build quality, this is top of the line German engineering and you notice.

I love the lens, a Schneider Xenar f/3.5 on mine, fantastic sharpness, great tonality, lovely 3d effect/plasticity if you hit the right dof for the subject.
And don't be mistaken, these lenses (I read in several places that the Zeiss Tessars that were also available on the Rolleicord are of similar quality to the Xenar) may be at least 35 years old but they are still world class, even today!

I love that it has an exposure value coupling setting which allows you to set an ev exposure value and get a coupling between exposure times and apertures that are right for that light value.

They are great for street shooting since people feel much less aware if you are looking down into a finder when shooting as opposed to pointing a lens and looking straight at them.

You get smiles and you get into nice conversations with strangers when you shoot vintage cameras like the Cord.

In short, I think these cameras which you can find for as low as $100 in good condition (that's what I paid for mine) are the best you can get for that kind of money, bar none.

Just try to find a later model, the lenses are a little better and they are less likely to have developed shutter problems etc. And get a good light meter!

That completes my ode to the Rolleicord Vb! I really love that piece of machinery and I guess it shows!
biggrin.gif

8891300_bb972c072b_o.jpg

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #6,063 of 15,743
^ Sounds very tempting.
smile.gif

What I've actually found looking at pictures both printed and posted online is that lens performance seems exponentially unimportant as film size increases. I think that's because larger films / sensors are inherently sharper than smaller ones, and are thus more forgiving to lens defects like scratches and poor manufacturing.

I didn't know Rolleicords use the EV system, but that in my eyes is a benefit - I have a Gossen meter that reads directly in EV, and being able to control exposure while changing motion blur / depth of field seems quite liberating. I also had no idea that the cameras were actually built well and with precision. It was my impression, perhaps a simple reaction to their low selling prices, that Rolleicords were made inexpensive through their use of low-quality manufacturing techniques and production materials.

At this point, however, I would be lying if I denied that I quickly added a few Rolleicords to my eBay watch-list after reading your above post.
tongue.gif

Regards,
Nick

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #6,064 of 15,743
I think the low prices for the Cords mostly reflect the fact that they were the smaller brothers of the Rolleiflexes and are still perceived as such, even though the quality differences between a Flex and Cord from the same period are generally very marginal. I still want a Flex with a Schneider Xenotar though!

8891304_de337ec33e_o.jpg

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #6,065 of 15,743
I do like the square format, the great thing is that when you look at it, it doesn't seem very square.
smily_headphones1.gif

And my excuse for calling out "Pentax Spotmatic" is because I was staring at one all week, and now anything that bears a somewhat similar resemblance becomes a Pentax.
biggrin.gif

(and my submission: very postcard-ish, but it seems OK)
rtjqf8.jpg

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #6,068 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anywho, here is the pic I took:

You can't shoot English recipe baked beans with a Zeiss lens! Are you trying to start a war or something?

8892687_da857cce22_o.jpg

8892985_fe007c1aa9_o.jpg

Feb 9, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #6,070 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Love the mood of the second shot mate. Is this with Rollei Retro film?

Thanks, I am pretty happy with that shot myself.
biggrin.gif

It's Rollei Retro 100 indeed. I'm not sure but I think this is 1:100 stand development in Rodinal for an hour. (Either that or 1:50 for 10 minutes with gentle agitation).

Feb 10, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #6,075 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's Rollei Retro 100 indeed. I'm not sure but I think this is 1:100 stand development in Rodinal for an hour. (Either that or 1:50 for 10 minutes with gentle agitation).

I'm curious. Does your print come out black and white and you add the brown'ish-red color, or is that naturally how it's made?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back