Post Your Photography Here #2
Dec 9, 2009 at 1:08 PM Post #5,866 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, HDR is just that - high dynamic range, trying to capture what the human eye can see, what consumer camera sensors and film can't do (yet). It's a perfectly valid technology, and makes a lot of sense, IMO. It can add more realism to a photo, but due to technological limitations we're accustomed to see less dynamic range in a photo - thus HDR might look unreal, even if the technology is used properly. Seems we're trained that "more real" looks "less real" on paper or monitors.

On the other hand, it's the tone mapping with Photomatix, DP-HDR4 and such that seems to get people overly "creative", resulting in those overblown candy-colored halo-ridden photos that have a marginal wow-factor for a second or two, but get really old really fast. Those are really too much, I can't say I like those kinds of photos.

It's a young technology in the history of photography, and it has to grow up - use HDR/tone mapping responsibly. Rant over.
wink.gif

However you try and cheat a certain photo into making it seem like it has a higher (or lower) dynamic range, it can be done a 'life like' way, and it can be done the fake looking way.

Increasing the dynamic range itself does not make the photo look fake. It's making the photo look fake that makes the photo look fake. Heck, there are even times when a photo that looks so obviously fake, still is nice.
SO I guess I need to add a disclaimer, if the photo looks fake AND cheesy, that's when people get bored.

For example: This photo looks so fake, it's what I would call cheesy:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/69/18...37107963_b.jpg

This photo also looks fake, but it's ok for me, I still enjoy it:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/...c89ee3b5_b.jpg

If you like the fake cheesy look, that's perfectly fine. But You just have to understand that some people find it boring, overdone, and without talent. (Not saying I'm one who feels this way).

If on the other hand, you are able to push the dynamic range, without the viewer even questioning it (as if the photo just came out of the camera that way), then you have worked your magic and cheated the limited dynamic range of the camera! I try this a fair amount, and I'll be the first to admit that it's VERY hard to do right (I've had so many attempts end up looking fake).

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #5,867 of 15,770
Quote:

Well, HDR is just that - high dynamic range, trying to capture what the human eye can see, what consumer camera sensors and film can't do (yet). It's a perfectly valid technology, and makes a lot of sense, IMO. It can add more realism to a photo, but due to technological limitations we're accustomed to see less dynamic range in a photo - thus HDR might look unreal, even if the technology is used properly. Seems we're trained that "more real" looks "less real" on paper or monitors.

On the other hand, it's the tone mapping with Photomatix, DP-HDR4 and such that seems to get people overly "creative", resulting in those overblown candy-colored halo-ridden photos that have a marginal wow-factor for a second or two, but get really old really fast. Those are really too much, I can't say I like those kinds of photos.

It's a young technology in the history of photography, and it has to grow up - use HDR/tone mapping responsibly. Rant over.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
However you try and cheat a certain photo into making it seem like it has a higher (or lower) dynamic range, it can be done a 'life like' way, and it can be done the fake looking way.

Increasing the dynamic range itself does not make the photo look fake. It's making the photo look fake that makes the photo look fake. Heck, there are even times when a photo that looks so obviously fake, still is nice.
SO I guess I need to add a disclaimer, if the photo looks fake AND cheesy, that's when people get bored.

For example: This photo looks so fake, it's what I would call cheesy:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/69/18...37107963_b.jpg

This photo also looks fake, but it's ok for me, I still enjoy it:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3288/...c89ee3b5_b.jpg

If you like the fake cheesy look, that's perfectly fine. But You just have to understand that some people find it boring, overdone, and without talent. (Not saying I'm one who feels this way).

If on the other hand, you are able to push the dynamic range, without the viewer even questioning it (as if the photo just came out of the camera that way), then you have worked your magic and cheated the limited dynamic range of the camera! I try this a fair amount, and I'll be the first to admit that it's VERY hard to do right (I've had so many attempts end up looking fake).

Yeah, I'm really tired of the over-baked, completely fake HDR imagery around today. I know a few people who shoot everything in HDR, for whatever reason. (Pathological fear of shadows?) Most of the HDR shots of this nature are poor photos to start, mostly because they were shot at the wrong time of day, in bad light.

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #5,868 of 15,770
The other type of style that I really loathe is the one (I don't know what it's called) they (I think) suck out the saturation and then add different saturation with extra sharpening.
It makes the picture looks very dry and it's like all the life has been absorbed out of the picture. I know it's a skill but I really can't stand looking at it. I can't quite put my finger on it, but maybe some members know what I'm talking about...

Dec 9, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #5,870 of 15,770
Not really color grading as in enhancing the colours but more like a reverse effect and it usually makes the picture so dry and lifeless but very poppy sharp with a hint of monochrome-ish style. All I know is I can't stand that and it makes me want to puke.

Dec 9, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #5,871 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not really color grading as in enhancing the colours but more like a reverse effect and it usually makes the picture so dry and lifeless but very poppy sharp with a hint of monochrome-ish style. All I know is I can't stand that and it makes me want to puke.

I'm guessing this is what you are referring too: Creating That Dave Hill Look | DIYPhotography.net

What's interesting is that when done properly, rather than faked like you usually see it, it can be done almost entirely with lighting rather than photoshop. Now that is a skill.

It's really popular in print advertising lately, and like HDR, there's a fine line (that varies from person to person) between proper use and overdoing it.

Edit: An interesting use of this style I saw yesterday. Even if you don't like the style, the subject matter is fascinating
wink.gif
Portraits of Power

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:55 PM Post #5,872 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You don't mean mono-color, do you?:
2506838233_b1af005125_b.jpg

Dec 9, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #5,873 of 15,770
Quote:

Originally Posted by devwild /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm guessing this is what you are referring too: Creating That Dave Hill Look | DIYPhotography.net

What's interesting is that when done properly, rather than faked like you usually see it, it can be done almost entirely with lighting rather than photoshop. Now that is a skill.

It's really popular in print advertising lately, and like HDR, there's a fine line (that varies from person to person) between proper use and overdoing it.

Edit: An interesting use of this style I saw yesterday. Even if you don't like the style, the subject matter is fascinating
wink.gif
Portraits of Power

Yeah that's the one. Ugh...

Dec 10, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #5,877 of 15,770
Quote:

Hahah, I've never heard of that Dave Hill before, and seems I didn't miss much. Tried that tutorial, and it's really quite a bit too much.

Be sure to note that what Dave Hill actually does and that tutorial are two different things, it's just a tip on how to imitate the appearance he goes for (personally I don't think it works very well, kinda like the earlier discussion on faking a lensbaby). I have mixed feelings about the appearance of his actual work, but there's no doubting it takes a lot more skill both in lighting and post.

Quote:

From that tutorial

Yeah, that didn't work well at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #5,879 of 15,770
How do you guys get the street photography shots like that? Do people not realize it or what? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back