Post Your Photography Here #2
Jun 7, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #4,951 of 15,749
@agnostic.. yea funky colours rock
biggrin.gif

@baines
It most definately forces you to slow down and really think about what you are gonna shoot
smily_headphones1.gif
The exiety of not knowig if you got the shot or not is quite scary though.

Jun 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #4,953 of 15,749
Baines - I largely switched back to film recently and it's a fun and different experience. Some very good film cameras are available for fairly cheap online. You can get a rangefinder like a Canonet 17/QL17 for under $50, which isn't an SLR, but it has a nice 45mm f1.7 lens. I recently picked up a Canon AE-1 Program SLR with a cheap zoom lens for $50, which is one of the super popular film SLR's. I also got a Refelkta dual lens look-down 120 film camera with light meter, bag and a couple of old flashes for $35.

I don't know what prices are like in the UK, but 35mm runs $2-5 per roll and a similar cost for developing, leaving you at $5-10/roll. 120 film costs about the same, but you only get 12 shots instead of 36.

No, you can't scan negatives without developing them first. Do you already have a scanner that will scan negatives?

If you haven't really shot film, I recommend doing it sometime.

Jun 7, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #4,954 of 15,749
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That shows that any film will do! Doesn't look of high quality, but the photos themselves make up for it if you see what I mean...? The last 3 are absoloutley brilliant!

<not trying to offend at all, just observing>

I'm tempted to pick up an old DSLR, but I don't have a dark room in my school, so i'd have to get a shop to do it (not as fun either, and costly, and inconvinient) - I'd get used to not seeing the pic as soon as I shot it, and my pics would improve with the one shot, one chance mentality, and it would be cheaper to get a decent film camera, and there is something about film! - but i've grown up in the digital era (only used a few films in my life!) and the inconviniences hold me back. I wish I had a darkroom in my own home!

You can't scan negatives without a little development can you?
frown.gif

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Actually you don't need a darkroom to develop films. All you need is some chemicals, a development tank and a bathroom that can be completely darkened. In fact you only need darkness for getting the film from the cannister into the development tank, after that you can do everything normally because development tanks are light-sealed. You would need a scanner that can handle negatives though. And you can get pretty good film cameras for a few tenners on ebay.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by raptor84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@agnostic.. yea funky colours rock
biggrin.gif

@baines
It most definately forces you to slow down and really think about what you are gonna shoot
smily_headphones1.gif
The exiety of not knowig if you got the shot or not is quite scary though.

It's a lot of fun messing with film
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Baines - I largely switched back to film recently and it's a fun and different experience. Some very good film cameras are available for fairly cheap online. You can get a rangefinder like a Canonet 17/QL17 for under $50, which isn't an SLR, but it has a nice 45mm f1.7 lens. I recently picked up a Canon AE-1 Program SLR with a cheap zoom lens for $50, which is one of the super popular film SLR's. I also got a Refelkta dual lens look-down 120 film camera with light meter, bag and a couple of old flashes for $35.

I don't know what prices are like in the UK, but 35mm runs $2-5 per roll and a similar cost for developing, leaving you at $5-10/roll. 120 film costs about the same, but you only get 12 shots instead of 36.

No, you can't scan negatives without developing them first. Do you already have a scanner that will scan negatives?

If you haven't really shot film, I recommend doing it sometime.

The Canonets are nice, I have a QL25 which needs a little adjusment on the rangefinder. Other cheap yet nice rangefinder cameras are the Konica C35, Ricoh 500G, FED 3 (a fully manual Soviet Leica clone, no light meter). I have and have used all of those.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:00 PM Post #4,955 of 15,749
Quote:

Originally Posted by Agnostic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Canonets are nice, I have a QL25 which needs a little adjusment on the rangefinder. Other cheap yet nice rangefinder cameras are the Konica C35, Ricoh 500G, FED 3 (a fully manual Soviet Leica clone, no light meter). I have and have used all of those.

Those Soviet FED 3's look neat.

Jun 7, 2009 at 2:39 PM Post #4,957 of 15,749
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those Soviet FED 3's look neat.

7333441_5e8c3b9c26.jpg

It's a nice camera. I like the look.
I bought mine for 45$ shipped in near mint condition, all it needed was a litle cleaning inside to get the fastest shutter time (1/500th) to stop capping and cleaning out the old lubricant from the lens (well known problem with these, the grease turns into a kind of waxy substance) and with some new lubrication it runs smoothly again.

This was shot with it. The darkening at the top is the shutter capping. In this shot it actually adds to the photo though
smily_headphones1.gif

7432484_548105c9ce.jpg

Jun 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #4,960 of 15,749
Quote:

Originally Posted by grape ape
These aren't my photos ... in fact they aren't even photos

Quote:

Originally Posted by grape ape
well I was right about our posts being modded.

Yes, unbelievable that that would happen when someone intentionally ignores the thread title and makes an off-topic post.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #4,961 of 15,749
raptor, great cat photos as always.

I like the colors on the flowers dfkt.

Jun 7, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #4,962 of 15,749
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, unbelievable that that would happen when someone intentionally ignores the thread title and makes an off-topic post.
rolleyes.gif

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I know, tangential posts never happen and are ever provocative.

it's good to know that if I do some photograms then I'll be sure to create my own topic.

Jun 7, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #4,963 of 15,749
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need help! I'm lost.

I never know what to take pics of any more. I don't know where to go. I don't have any ideas, but tons of inspiration... It just seems like there is nothing decent here to take photographs of. I don't use my camera much any more as a result. I can't afford a DSLR this year, or I won't be able to afford my car insurance next year, and I don't enjoy using my camera as much as I used to.

Any ideas or tips? I haven't lost interest, or inspiration, I have tons of it! I just don't know where to go, or what to do... I don't see things anymore, and think wow, need camera! ...and when I do, it never turns out right, which uninspires me even more... it's like Catch 22. I'm out of practise because I don't practise, because I don't enjoy it or know where to go in this ****hole, because I am out of practise and everything turns out boring or not as I wanted. I can' even explain it.
frown.gif

Baines I have had my camera 5 months now and I have gone through that stage a couple of times...you just have to pick your self up and get shooting, the spark soon comes back when you see that one shot of the day in print. My latest lull was really bad so I decided to get inspired by some famous photographers and have decided to give fashion photography a go and see how I get on. the reason I wanted to try this is because there is a lot of behind the scenes action so I won't have time to get bored there is always a location to find things to arrange models to persuade to do a shoot for free!!

My first ever model shoot was yesterday and here are a couple of photo's from it..

3603709636_fea7cded52.jpg

3603694010_8c05c87255.jpg

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #4,964 of 15,749
Seeing all of the 35mm film shots here has me interested in trying out film myself. I picked up a Pentax ME Super with tons of accessories at a rummage sale. It has its share of problems, so I ordered a body in great condition on ebay. Can't wait to get it and try it out!

Any recommendations on film? I'd like to shoot Black and white and color. Something beginner-friendly would be best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back