Post Your Photography Here #2
Feb 7, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #3,991 of 15,743

Quote:

Originally Posted by onform /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello

I will provide some feedback based on my own opinion, baring in mind I'm no expert.

No.1 I can't help but think this scene really doesn't suit the depth of field you have chosen. the whole point of the long line is to draw the eye into the picture and onto a focal point.. also understand some times you just want to experiment with different things and that there are no hard fast rules I just don't think this quite works.

The rest of the shots are not bad by any means but there just doesn't seem to any real interest or strong defined focal points within them.

Now! I too am still learning so don't take any of what I have said in a negative light I just hope it helps.. well done though and keep knocking out the shots..

Matt

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #3,993 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif

the depth here is quite intriguing, but I somewhat miss a little air, and the foreground is a little distractive.
If you put something underneath the lens to lift the field of view I think the feeling of depth will be even stronger. Take several exposures at different angles and see what works best.

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #3,994 of 15,743
My most recent:

IMG_4108.jpg

I can't find the battery charger for my camera, hasn't seen in a month or so, rather frustrating, so not much photo work lately.

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #3,995 of 15,743
Quote:

]

That is a much better shot. The line in the road draws your eye into the frame letting the eye explore the rest of the picture.

as mentioned already to increase it's potential raise the camera a little so that the line doesn't completely dominate one half of the shot. you will probably have to move back to get the whole line in. and try and include a little more sky. maybe a road on the outskirts with some open space around the road?

keep at it though learning photography is all about reading up on something and practising it a whole lot until you feel comfortable with it. then read up some more.. Are you on flickr if not get on there, create an account and get some inspiration from others on there.

@ Raptor once again some sterling dog photo's there are they all with your new toy??

@ walkingman that shot is a cracker... was it a one off cracker or are there more of that calibre on your flickr stream??

Feb 8, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #3,996 of 15,743
thx for feedback:

its hard taking road photos as that is a semi busy road at times, so gotta make sure no cars are coming behind me

ill have to find a dead end road to do more practise on

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #3,997 of 15,743
My new Headphone Stand design.

This time I used a fill light on the side. I'm happy enough with the way it came out (the picture that is).

Feb 8, 2009 at 2:36 PM Post #4,000 of 15,743
Quote:

what are peoples opinions on post processing?

Just looking through this thread I can see many different philosophies about post processing, which depend on the person.

The end result should be a nice picture, so if post processing will help you achieve that.....

People even post processed film in the darkroom.

Feb 8, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #4,002 of 15,743
wb2008_index_05.jpg

Ryan and Sam Weber recently used two individual photos I took of them for their latest CD cover above.

These guy's can play almost anything, but Rockabilly seems to be their favourite. Besides their solo career, they're the most recent alumni of Ronnie Hawkin's band "The Hawks" .... joining a host of successful Hawk members before them such as: The Band (Robbie Robertson, Levon Helm, etc.), Pat Travers, David Foster, Gowan, Dominic Triano, Crowbar, David Clayton Thomas, a bunch of other successful Canadian musicians most of you wouldn't know, and even the actress, Beverly D"Angelo who started her career as a back-up singer in the Hawks.

The Weber Brothers on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

DRM_5504wvh.jpg

DRM_5490wvh.jpg

Feb 8, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #4,003 of 15,743
Quote:

what are peoples opinions on post processing?

Post processing is an invaluable tool for all kinds of photography. of course it's true that the photo should be as true as possible straight out of the camera if at all possible but sometimes a photo needs a little something else just to make it perfect like a crop or a boost in contrast etc. The trick is not to over do it and to use it but so no one knows you have used it...lol.

Of course you may even take a photo with the intention of going crazy on the PP. some people have developed their own unique style, something that is even harder sometimes than perfecting using the camera itself, by using these techniques.

As always there are no rules and each to there own. there will always be hardcore camps on both sides of the argument.

Matt

Feb 8, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #4,004 of 15,743
Being against post processing is going against a long history of manipulating the photographic process. There was no question in B&W film photography that you would "post process". Burning and dodging during printing is the most common You can manipulate the negative as well, especially with large format photography where each negative can be processed to it's own needs. The second of Ansel Adams' 3 volume was just on the negative. It would have been a short volume if all you did was look up on a table how to develop a negative.

Feb 8, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #4,005 of 15,743
For me I'm always a little less amazed by a picture that was significantly post processed (i.e. not a little unsharp masking) than one straight from the camera...for example, I'd much prefer using a graduated ND filter than taking multiple exposures and blending the separate frames together in photoshop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back