Post Your Photography Here #2
Feb 2, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #3,961 of 15,743
It may just be me, but why does B&W always seems so much more impactful, so poignant? Maybe the lack of colour draws more attention from the brain?

Agnostic, that cathedral shot, the building steps right out of the picture!

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #3,962 of 15,743
Thank you for posting those unprocessed images agnostic. It was interesting to see how your pictures start out.

Feb 2, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #3,963 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both look better in black and white. You made a smart choice processing them that way.
cool.gif

You really think so? Hm....
Funny how personal preference works.

I wouldn't say one is better than the other after both are edited. Just different.

Feb 2, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #3,965 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both look better in black and white. You made a smart choice processing them that way.
cool.gif

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may just be me, but why does B&W always seems so much more impactful, so poignant? Maybe the lack of colour draws more attention from the brain?

I think part of the reason is simplification. A simpler picture with less distractions has more impact than a more busy one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agnostic, that cathedral shot, the building steps right out of the picture!

Thanks! Your the second one to say that about that picture in nearly the same words!
That was a pretty contrasty shot to begin with and I think the perspective correction on the church adds to the impression.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for posting those unprocessed images agnostic. It was interesting to see how your pictures start out.

You're welcome. I like to process my shots by taking what I think is a photos best or most interesting quality(ies) and enhancing that.

Shots that I find too busy in color and shots that have large contrasts but colors that I don't like often end up processed as black and white if they have other qualities that I find interesting.

@Digitalfrog That photo really pulls you in, I don't think I've ever seen such intensely red lips before.

@TopPop Nice shots! Very crisp.

@Raptor I like that third dog shot, it's funny and the lighting is very nice.

6825327_9e1b81c26f.jpg

6825414_2010ee2746.jpg

Feb 4, 2009 at 1:34 AM Post #3,967 of 15,743
onform - i LOVE the first and last pictures! - I haven't gone to CG in long, I should soon.

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #3,969 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by vic1890 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
onform - i LOVE the first and last pictures! - I haven't gone to CG in long, I should soon.

You should my son and I had a great time with our camera's. If you would like me and a group of others are meeting in london on a regular basis.

If you head over to Talk Photography™ and register there are all sorts of meets arranged.

Feb 5, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #3,972 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetAdeline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I don't know anything about photography, but I thought some of you might enjoy this blog I stumbled across.

It's a 365 blog shooting legos each day.

a LEGO a day…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...n41/day198.jpg

Ink Blots

Thanks for sharing that. He's very creative with the shots and the captions
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #3,974 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you take those photos, how do you get that effect?

All I did was just pressing a button - it's the camera not me.

Step 1: Acquire a Panasonic Lumix LX3

Step 2: Set The camera in "Dynamic B&W" Mode

Step 3: Turn the camera's aspect ratio hard button to 16:9 wide mode

Step 4: Turn the camera's focus mode hard button to "Macro"

Step 5: Take Picture

Voila!

You can say that it's pretty much JPG straight out of camera really. I just sharpened and resized the pictures, that's all. No contrast/colour/etc adjustment. I am pretty sure that if you set the camera's sharpness to higher level (mine is at lower level), you don't even need to sharpen it. Well you could if you want to.

But the Dynamic B&W combined with the 16:9 ratio and f/2 wide angle really rocks. Well worth every cent you spent on the cam. I think this is the first time I can confidently take my non-DSLR camera with me and not having to worry about the actual result or whether it can handle low light. Yes it has limited zoom reach, but within those zoom range, it does it brilliantly.

If you're thinking to get it, and can't find it from local shops, I recommend Citiwide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back