Post Your Photography Here #2
Jul 2, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #2,041 of 15,749
Yeah, contrastique, I think I've said this before, but you've out done yourself, again! All in black and white too, amazing textures, and use of contrast, Bugatti shot is my favourite, something as simple as window reflection used so well.

Towert7, great last shot, and Wil, your second one is also great, there's that series of in focus drops all lined up, and blurred out is one that has fallen on the petal, this really makes the picture for me. Superb!

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:36 AM Post #2,042 of 15,749
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nr275ag7.jpg

That's a familiar sight.

Seeing your photos makes me want to go analog too! Of course, you have a far better eye for this game.

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #2,043 of 15,749
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, contrastique, I think I've said this before, but you've out done yourself, again! All in black and white too, amazing textures, and use of contrast, Bugatti shot is my favourite, something as simple as window reflection used so well.

Towert7, great last shot, and Wil, your second one is also great, there's that series of in focus drops all lined up, and blurred out is one that has fallen on the petal, this really makes the picture for me. Superb!

Thank you sir. I'm just starting at macro and it's quite a challenge ( but what fun!)

Contrastique, respect. Top-class work all round. I'm jealous indeed. Makes me feel like going out with my dad's Nikon FE2 and his stock of Velvia film. hehe.

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #2,044 of 15,749
Thank you guys (gals?) for your compliments [size=xx-small](me blush)[/size]
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a familiar sight.

Cool! It's a beautiful part to take pictures especially when the sun hits it right.

Quote:

Seeing your photos makes me want to go analog too! Of course, you have a far better eye for this game.

You've said that so many times now why don't you give it a shot? Analogue bodies are really cheap these days.
You HAVE a great eye, only you have to let go of the screen. That'll feel awkward in the beginning but once used to that you'll feel much more confident, also when shooting digital again AND you'll get a different approach.

Jul 2, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #2,045 of 15,749
2577470973_41960ef461.jpg

My personal favourite (only because the girl in the picture is my girl.
wink.gif
)

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #2,046 of 15,749
Quote:

You've said that so many times now why don't you give it a shot? Analogue bodies are really cheap these days.
You HAVE a great eye, only you have to let go of the screen. That'll feel awkward in the beginning but once used to that you'll feel much more confident, also when shooting digital again AND you'll get a different approach.

Thanks -- but I don't have a good enough eye to do analog just yet. I take hundreds of images when I go out shooting and often come back with one or two that I like. For example, I walked around Berlin for a day and ended up with the two photos I have on my site.

The thing that's mainly holding me back though is the lack of an 'undo' function. All of my photos contain heavy post processing. Remove that ability, and my photos are crap. But yeah, analog bodies are cheap, and I even have a somewhat decent Minolta X-700 and some glass. I think I'll start putting that to use after my vacation. Can't risk ending up with bad photos this summer because I'm not used to the gear yet.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:29 AM Post #2,047 of 15,749
Maybe you'll train your eye better if you have no escape :wink:
Minolta X700 =nice! That was the first camera I worked with from my dad (and when it turned out my eyes were a liitle lacking I bought AF lol!).
I screwed up many films in the beginning trying to figure out proper lighting and composition in b&w but it's a good way to learn how to look.
But hey, analogue is far from dead so you still have all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a great holiday!! Where's the trip going to?

Ow, and thanx Samgotit,
The chems can be quite dangerous indeed. Still have to start with the selenium and with your lenses (
wink.gif
) as my new darkroom is still not ready yet...sigh...
The leakage we have appears not fixable as noone can tell us where it's coming from so I decided to finish the job without fixing that first.
The plumber will be coming at the beginning of September to hook up my rinsing tables. In the meantime we'll have a stucador <---? coming over, making some tables for the enlargers and by the end of the summer it'll be good to go yeayy!!!

Jul 2, 2008 at 10:40 AM Post #2,048 of 15,749
Quote:

Maybe you'll train your eye better if you have no escape :wink:

It does put a big fat "stok achter de deur".
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Minolta X700 =nice! That was the first camera I worked with from my dad (and when it turned out my eyes were a liitle lacking I bought AF lol!).
I screwed up many films in the beginning trying to figure out proper lighting and composition in b&w but it's a good way to learn how to look.
But hey, analogue is far from dead so you still have all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

Have a great holiday!! Where's the trip going to?

I also stole the X700 from my dad. It's amazing that such an old camera has a far better viewfinder that my 30D. Did you immediatly jump into developing the films yourself or not?

Thanks. Trip will by car, six to seven weeks (depending on how long the budget lasts
biggrin.gif
), to Istanbul through the Balkan and back through Italy and Switzerland. Plenty of photo opportunities to say the least! Have 28GB of CF cards ready. I really wanted to drive to Moscow but couldn't get the car insured in Russia. Ah well, leaves something for next year (or a drive to the North Cape instead). Nothing beats a long road trip.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #2,049 of 15,749
Ow wow that's an amazing trip (again) and 6 to 7 weeks holy....Enjoy your time! Indeed enough material to shoot.
Btw, did you graduate already??

I started developing my own films from the start, yes. Mainly because school wanted us to do that. The first films we shot were to experiment with shutterspeed and diafragma. After they were taken we had to learn how to develop them at school.
During the years I had maybe 3 films developed by a development company when I was too lazy but they all came out terribly so I do all of them myself now.

Jul 2, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #2,050 of 15,749
Quote:

Ow wow that's an amazing trip (again) and 6 to 7 weeks holy....Enjoy your time! Indeed enough material to shoot.
Btw, did you graduate already??

Thanks, I will take my time (so long as the budget allows). Bit off topic, but yes! Graduated! Thanks for asking. I now get to place BEng infront of my name while still knowing nothing.
biggrin.gif

I'm adding another 3 to 5 years to it though, going for my bachelor or masters in Industrial Design. There are even some photography courses to take. Plus, I'll learn how to draw well. The great thing about my current degree is that I have something to fall back to should a new study not work out, so I can choose what I want to do rather than what I'm good at this time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I started developing my own films from the start, yes. Mainly because school wanted us to do that. The first films we shot were to experiment with shutterspeed and diafragma. After they were taken we had to learn how to develop them at school.
During the years I had maybe 3 films developed by a development company when I was too lazy but they all came out terribly so I do all of them myself now.

Learning and being able to expiriment at school is a great way to get the hang of it. I don't really have the option of building a dark room here.
frown.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #2,053 of 15,749
Quote:

Processing all the films (18)

**mouthful of wine sprays across the room** 18 rolls of Tech Pan!!
eek.gif
Damn! How many rolls do you have?? Have left??

For those not in the know, Kodak Technical Pan film went extinct in 2004, never to be produced again. This stuff is about as rare as...Abby Road on vinyl...well maybe not that rare but you get the picture.

Quote:

I take hundreds of images when I go out shooting and often come back with one or two that I like. For example, I walked around Berlin for a day and ended up with the two photos I have on my site.

d'mind: Lets see Contrastique shot 18 rolls at 36 exposures per roll that's 648 images shot in one week! So what's your excuse again?

Quote:

The plumber will be coming at the beginning of September to hook up my rinsing tables. In the meantime we'll have a stucador <---? coming over, making some tables for the enlargers and by the end of the summer it'll be good to go yeayy!!!

Back@Contrastique: Too bad about the leak. So silver gel enlargements will have to wait(?), that would be a real shame. Your 600ppi's look good but the 16x20's will be great. Have you thought about what which ones you'll print up?

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:10 AM Post #2,054 of 15,749
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
d'mind: Lets see Contrastique shot 18 rolls at 36 exposures per roll that's 648 images shot in one week! So what's your excuse again?

A very weak one; maybe the quality of photo's that I want to publish is far higher than the ones I take. So, I end up with a couple of good shots every few hundred photos. Last summer, I took about 3000 photos in four weeks, so Indra and me are shooting pretty much the same amount.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dougboy -> Nice shots!

Jul 3, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #2,055 of 15,749
Quote:

A very weak one; maybe the quality of photo's that I want to publish is far higher than the ones I take. So, I end up with a couple of good shots every few hundred photos. Last summer, I took about 3000 photos in four weeks, so Indra and me are shooting pretty much the same amount.
smily_headphones1.gif

Give it time. As you get better, your percent of 'keepers' will go up a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back