Post Your Photography Here #2
Jun 11, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #1,831 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Matt, there's something seriously funky going on with the edges of the flowers. Auto coloring shouldn't get such results. Did you add a blurred layer on top on a different blend mode?

Here's a larger version of the photo.

If you want it larger, please ask me through PM. I'm utterly paranoid of people stealing my photos or drawings and publishing them under their name, so I don't like posting full size versions in public.

Here's the original photo by the way. A nice example of how post processing can be more important than the photography itself, in my opinion. The only thing that I truly look out for is framing and making sure the image is exposed right. I worry about colors and contrast later, which is why I suck too hard at photography to go analog.
smily_headphones1.gif

tinorig.jpg

Oh awesome, thank you so much. With photos like this, you have good reason to be paranoid
biggrin.gif
The after effets look fantastic, I absolutely love for some reason mildly yellowed out effects like that.

I'm not much of a photographer myself, but I have some experience in photoshop tinkering around and making signatures and wallpapers, and God knows I love supermacro mode on the family's digital camera for boring days!

edit: and wow, flawless removal of that toys r us thing in the background, I didn't even notice it before

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:14 PM Post #1,832 of 15,743
Matt, looking good!
cool.gif

Agnostic, as always, good stuff! The pictures work great in B&W. I can't help but wonder how they'll look in color though. The first image seems slightly tilted to the right though - but that may just be crooked trees and an odd horizon screwing with me.

The waves in the second are great, nicely accentuated by the B&W conversion. Me likey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by litlharsh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh awesome, thank you so much. With photos like this, you have good reason to be paranoid
biggrin.gif
The after effets look fantastic, I absolutely love for some reason mildly yellowed out effects like that.

I'm not much of a photographer myself, but I have some experience in photoshop tinkering around and making signatures and wallpapers, and God knows I love supermacro mode on the family's digital camera for boring days!

edit: and wow, flawless removal of that toys r us thing in the background, I didn't even notice it before

The mild coloring / cross processing is typically found in Indian movies. It's a common effect to make dull scenes look interesting. In more than one way, it's cheating (as you can see with the original photo, which is as dull as, well, dull). (Un)fortunatly, my experience with Photoshop is far greater than my photography experience. Which basically means: I suck at taking photos and have to cheat a lot.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #1,833 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Matt, looking good!
cool.gif

Agnostic, as always, good stuff! The pictures work great in B&W. I can't help but wonder how they'll look in color though. The first image seems slightly tilted to the right though - but that may just be crooked trees and an odd horizon screwing with me.

The waves in the second are great, nicely accentuated by the B&W conversion. Me likey!

Thanks! The first one has a mild slope and the trees are crooked (actually the were even more crooked before processing)

Here's a color shot from the same photo hike as pictures 1 and 3:
1251066-1-the-road-goes-on-and-on.jpg

and one in color from the same photo hike as #2:
1203222-1-skyline-in-orange.jpg

I really like your shot with the statue. Very nice processing!

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #1,836 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I'm totally new to SLRs, so go real easy on me. (But don't blow smoke up my butt either.
wink.gif
)

b.gif

I'm digging the lighting and composition of the first one. I'm assuming your using the 60mm macro for all of these?

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #1,837 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm digging the lighting and composition of the first one. I'm assuming your using the 60mm macro for all of these?

Thanks, M0T0XGUY!

I think all of the above were shot with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I actually haven't been using the 60mm f/2.8 macro at all, so I may swap it for something that would find more use.

b.gif

Jun 12, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #1,838 of 15,743
A few from my new biking route.

3.jpg

8.jpg

20.jpg

My first attempt at Macro with this camera and lens. I need some practice, or a better macro lens.

18.jpg

Jun 12, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #1,841 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm digging the lighting and composition of the first one

Ditto, that one's great, perfect industrial look.

I re-treated my three previous pictures from last week and decided to make something for print purposes. People comment how sterile my home and office walls can be because I'm not the type to spend money on typical decorations, so I figure it's added motivation to improve my photography so I can make my own decor.
smily_headphones1.gif

2571304539_45c6a084e3_o.jpg

Jun 12, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #1,845 of 15,743
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks, M0T0XGUY!

I think all of the above were shot with a Sigma 30mm f/1.4. I actually haven't been using the 60mm f/2.8 macro at all, so I may swap it for something that would find more use.

b.gif

Yeah, good call. I'm actually a bit surprised you took those with the Sigma - I haven't exactly heard good things about it, yet the pictures posted above are all pretty sharp and "contrasty." Perhaps its worth a deeper look into? (I've been itching for a better low-light lens).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back