Post your n00b thread...
Jan 27, 2008 at 4:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
I just responded to a thread by a new member in the Headphones forum. The member was kind of apologetic, apparently feeling that he had put out some members with his posts. I didn't read any of his other posts, so I don't know if he actually did 'impose' on the membership, if that is even possible. Certainly not to me, unless the person is a blatant troll.

Anyway...it got me to thinking about my first post and how helpful folks were to me, even though they had probably answered a similar question a hundred other times. I had to re-visit my beginning to see how n00b-ish it was, and found it to be a fairly typical (I suppose) first post:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on a pair of headphones. I'm not an audiophile, but I do want to get something worthwhile. I need a decent pair of headphones for music, and for watching movies late at night. It is likely that I'll use them more often for movies so as not to disturb my sleeping beauty (wife).

I set my budget at $100 and after a bit of looking I'm thinking of getting the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, unless there is a good argument against that pair.

Any ideas or recommendations?

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Anyway, I thought it might be fun to see some other first posts, and to remind us that we all started out in the same place.

Care to dig yours up and re-post it here?

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't find mine, it's too long ago. Ugh.

Here yours plainsong

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...tml#post230932

Mine hmm it's a secret
wink.gif
(go hide in shame
frown.gif
)

J/K I was lurking for a while so my first post is when I bought my Denon DCP-100 ->Click

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 15
i guess i did my research. seem to be more technical with audiophile vocabularies back then.
Quote:

[size=xx-small]4-24-2003 should i get a px100 or px200
"hi, this is my first time buying a $40+ headphone , and it's either the px100 or the px200. i already preordered the px100 at amazon, but they are out of stock so i might change my mind. since i listen to *snipped*, it's all about low range. i dont have bionic ears so i'm not that demanding on high range preciseness or if it sounds prominent or not, but powerful and clear bass is a must.
now the px100 have way higher frequency than the px200, how come? since the px100 is open, i wonder when i turn it on volume 30 on my imp350, if its going to bother others people around me (sound leaking). even though they aren't noise canceling headphones, how well do the px100 block of amtosphere ambiance comparing to the px200. oh and i read something about burning in to make the sound smoother, can some on explain that to me. oh and please don't recommend me a koss or sony something like that i will break it after 3 days or jank the cord out"[/size]

Jan 27, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 15
I had done my homework, but you guys helped tip the scale.. needless to say, I got my 750's and have been enjoying them since. Thanks head-fi!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruZZ.il /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm seriously considering a pair of US PROline 750. I managed to sit at a studio/store that had a bunch of different headphones to listen to and get a good listening to them.. listened to some beyers and grados too.. while are all superb the US seem to have the right sound for the music I mostly listen to and I really liked the 750's.. unfortunatly they didnt have any PROline 650s for me to listen to cause 300$ is about my budget here.. I'd really appreciate the sonic/comfort differences anyone can point out to help me justify an extra 100$(bout 400$ for the 750s), or if the 650's would satisfy me.. I listen 'mostly' to funky jazzadelic psytrance (yeah, its a rather branched off kinda undergound scene...) so theres a bit of it all. any feedback and comparisons would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

-Russ.

I'm still the n00b in this thread so far. I'm staying young dangit! Or trying to. But I've come along way...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I need some good headphones or earphones for listening to music on my PSP. They must be available in New Zealand as well because most Koss ones I can't seem to find.

I have been looking at the following...

Sony MDR-NQ1
Sennheiser MX550/MX500
Sony MDR-Q36LW
Sony MDR-J21V
SENNHEISER PMX 60

I dont want to pay much more than $50NZD ($35USD) but will pay a bit more if neccasery.

Thanks in advance!
k1000smile.gif

That thread only got one reply that wasn't me bumping it
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #8 of 15
Back when I still liked crappy phones:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First I decide to buy some Grado SR-80s to replace the cheap headphones I had, which kept me happy for several months until the first symptoms of upgraditis set in. Then I decided I was tired of the noises any soundcard would pick up from inside my computer, so I grabbed an outboard DAC off ebay. This temporarily caused the swelling in the upgraditis to go away. Of course, now I stumble across head-fi and read the forums for a couple weeks, causing a full blown infection to break out, and suddenly found myself ordering a Corda Aria and Beyer DT880s.
blink.gif

There really should be a support forum to help people recover from this disease. My wallet was barely on speaking terms with me before the most recent purchase, so the last thing I need to do is go and pull a Jahn.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 15
Wow! Them there new Sennheiser headphones. That entire journey only to come full circle back to (new) 600ohm Beyers. The madness started with the circa 20 year old 600ohm Beyers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here yours plainsong

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/new...tml#post230932

Mine hmm it's a secret
wink.gif
(go hide in shame
frown.gif
)

J/K I was lurking for a while so my first post is when I bought my Denon DCP-100 ->.

Jan 27, 2008 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, i am quite new to this forum, and I am looking at buying a new pair of cans to replace my Bose Triports. I have around $130 or less to spend, and I am looking for circumaural phones (I prefer closed, but open is ok too). I plan on using this mostly with my ipod, but I also have a small home setup. What should I be looking at? I have considered the HD280's as well as the HD80's. I have also read about the Sony v6's.

Ouch....Bose triport!

Jan 27, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the best Tom Waits albums? Dylan has Blood on the Tracks and Blonde on Blonde as his most critically acclaimed, what does Waits have?

In a Bob Dylan VS Tom Waits thread.

Not embarrassing I don't think. I ended up buying Rain Dogs by Tom Waits after this post and to this day still don't 'get it'
confused.gif

Jan 27, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

I had a similar experience with some cheapie bundled earbuds that came with a cheapie korean flash player (only $10 on black friday!). I wouldn't be suprised if their freq response is 200hz - 10khz but their openess was such a breath of fresh air from sealed IEM's that I couldn't put them down for hours.

Hmm, looking at the post date I realize I lurked at Head-fi for about 3 or 4 years before registering.

Jan 28, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Guys,

Ive been reading these forums for a while, and I am quite into my audio.

I recently got a pair of Shure E2C's to use with my 5.5g 80gb ipod.

But from seeing everyones rigs you all have amps and stuff like that.

I'd like to improve the sound I am getting, but I am on a budget.

What would you guys suggest?

I don't want to exceed more than about $120 (US Dollars).

Thx
smily_headphones1.gif

OMG n00b lol, E2Cs were my worst investment ever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back