Post Your Guitar Thread
Apr 4, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #166 of 191
FINALLY got my shizzz back from my Mom's place....

thought my fingers would get a little sore after rippin some metal considering i haven't played in MONTHS, but they are fine
tongue.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 2:43 AM Post #167 of 191
Got my guitar in the mail today from Centre City Music out in California, great folks to do business with. Anyways, on to some pictures of the new (old stock) SG Classic in ebony (a color they only did a few in, most were ebony stain and heritage cherry).

Next up is to replace the pickups (undecided between Fralins and Lollars), electronics, and hardware.

Edit: Maybe just a few more...
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 5:12 AM Post #168 of 191
want to hear about the SG that got away? in delaware there was a crappy pawn shop that had tons of crap guitars - oscar schmidt, samick, you know.

but there was a Gibson SG there that they were trying to unload for 300 bucks. it was there forever because they wouldn't come down on the price. no one bought it (including me) because we never saw one like it before - it had freaking OAK LEAVES carved into the top!

well, after the advent of the internet i finally found it - it was legit, who knew. i went back to that shop and it was gone.

rats.

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #169 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
want to hear about the SG that got away? in delaware there was a crappy pawn shop that had tons of crap guitars - oscar schmidt, samick, you know.

but there was a Gibson SG there that they were trying to unload for 300 bucks. it was there forever because they wouldn't come down on the price. no one bought it (including me) because we never saw one like it before - it had freaking OAK LEAVES carved into the top!

well, after the advent of the internet i finally found it - it was legit, who knew. i went back to that shop and it was gone.

rats.

who cares if it's legit?!?!?!??! $300?!?!?!?! how much have you spent on your tower of power?!?!!?? really, it was you your story and i'm kicking myself. by the way i'm also kickin myself for not snatchin that evilfire cmoy.

Apr 6, 2006 at 6:35 AM Post #171 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnum22
who cares if it's legit?!?!?!??! $300?!?!?!?! how much have you spent on your tower of power?!?!!?? really, it was you your story and i'm kicking myself. by the way i'm also kickin myself for not snatchin that evilfire cmoy.

but it was sitting there with all of these cheap knockoffs and it only came in a nylon gig bag? how was i to know it was the real deal? 300 bucks was a lot of cash back in the day!

Apr 7, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #172 of 191
Yeah you might be thinking "whoa $300 for a Gibson" but how did it play? Gibson has horrendous quality control, it could've played worse than the $100 squier at guitar center for all we know. My friend's SG had a broken truss rod in it from the factory, I call that craptastic quality control. Considering what Gibson charges for their guitars the amount of shoddy guitars they make is just bad business.

Apr 9, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #173 of 191
Got my first guitar today. Epiphone Goth SG

I'll get better pictures soon.

Apr 9, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #174 of 191
Wow, serious SG love in the forums! Someone bust out some Angus Young, asap!

Apr 9, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #175 of 191
Hah, suprisingly enough there's only one ACDC song that I like (Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution). And man-oh-man I'm falling in love with my SG Classic, the neck is so very comfortable and I might not change the pickups (though the hardware will get changed still, possibly the nut).

Tomo... today... whatever, I'm going to try out the Bogner Shiva amps, I listened to some samples online and it sounds quite good (the 6L6 version).

I will be selling the SG Standard soonish (about 95% sure) to help fund a new Gibson Historic '58 Reissue Les Paul. They are so very very sweet, makes me want to melt, plus I got a good price from the same place I got the new SG since I'm a returning customer (and from Texas, which humored the owner for some reason
biggrin.gif
).

I'm done babbling now.

Hmm, topic: What does everyone use for cleaning/conditioning (both the body and fretboard)?

Discuss.

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:07 PM Post #176 of 191
Well I've found my dream guitar: a '78 Les Paul Deluxe converted with Soapbars (and it includes the original mini-buckers and case). I'm getting a deal on it from the local vintage gear shop because I work at the gear shop accross town and the managers have somewhat of a repoire. Did I mention it is a Goldtop? I've got to jump on it.

That said, I've put the main axe (yes, the Guild) on the block (it just may be in the FS, forum
evil_smiley.gif
). While it has an amazing sound, I just don't get along with humbuckers (hence the Soapbars). With any luck, I'll be putting a picture of her up here soon.

edit: I just saw the post saying that I'd never sell her. What have I become??

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:14 PM Post #177 of 191
Sounds like you've got the Guitar version of The Curse. Beware, it's just as addictive! Congrats on the Paul, it sounds like a winner. And yeah post a pic of the S100, I always loved those Guild Solidbodies!

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:23 PM Post #178 of 191
She's in post #154. It really breaks my heart to let her go, but I think she'd be happier with someone who could give her more attention.

Why do I feel like such a terrible person? It's like cheating on a girlfriend.

edit: maybe I should stop referring to 'it' as 'her'.

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #179 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodacose
Here's most of my fun stuff:

DSCN0040.JPG

That's just gorgeous! How could you sell it!

Jul 7, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #180 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
That's just gorgeous! How could you sell it!

It's the humbuckers; they're just too dark. I love single-coils. I've always thought of a good single coil as more of a 'voice' while a humbucker is more like a strings section. Opera vs. symphony. Blues is my thing and single coil pups are really where it's at IMO.

Believe me, though. If I had the money, I'd keep both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back