Post Your Guitar Thread
Mar 13, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #136 of 191
So I decided to send back the banjo, just wasn't as much fun as I'd hoped. Instead I've already ordered a Duncan Jazz and JB to replace my stock pickups (open coil, no cover because quite frankly I want it to look a little different). I'm also going to order 4 CTS 500k pots as well as Hovland caps so I can change all that out at the same time. Going to go ahead and order a nice TonePros ABR-1 locking bridge as well as the aluminum tailpiece with locking studs (all nickel of course).

I still want my SG Classic in ebony stain back, stupid eBay letting me sell it.
frown.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #139 of 191
Very nice LP. I bet that tone is SOO SWEET. Hopefully someday when my uncle kicks the bucket I'll own his 74' LP. His is that dark sunburst color, however. His is not nearly as aesthetically nice as yours, but it still has wonderful tone and is very fun to play. It smells like stale cigarettes, has several knicks, and the finish is worn down in the back (from a belt buckle). But heck, it was used everynight in a club for something like 10 years.
icon10.gif

Anyways, nice guitar.

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #140 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo
Very nice LP. I bet that tone is SOO SWEET. Hopefully someday when my uncle kicks the bucket I'll own his 74' LP. His is that dark sunburst color, however. His is not nearly as aesthetically nice as yours, but it still has wonderful tone and is very fun to play. It smells like stale cigarettes, has several knicks, and the finish is worn down in the back (from a belt buckle). But heck, it was used everynight in a club for something like 10 years.
icon10.gif

Anyways, nice guitar.

All that means is that your Uncle's guitar has soul
smily_headphones1.gif
oh, and an attitude.

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #141 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuffMorgan
All that means is that your Uncle's guitar has soul
smily_headphones1.gif
oh, and an attitude.

yeah, i love those old war axes too. well, maybe not as bad as Willie Nelson's guitar, but something like SRV's strat, man that has mojo just dripping off it.

I love the binding on my LP - the fact that it's a nice creamy yellow instead of pearl white tells me that it's been through a few good gigs in a seedy bar too. but aesthetics aside, it's too much axe for me - it has serious output, but when i rein it in to JUST break up in that nice bluesy tube way, it has that sweet Gibson tone - I swear it has some PAF humbucker action going there even though they aren't PAF! the sad thing is my chops aren't good enough to do the LP justice - it mostly rots under my bed.

Edit- did some research, looks like I have what they call "T-Buckers" which is in itself, quite cool!

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #143 of 191
I got my 2nd guitar (ESP LTD Explorer, the old Gibson style) probably after about a year and a half or so after I began playing. I wouldn't say I was great, but I was beyond a beginner and I was lusting after that guitar (huge Metallica fan at the time) so I figured I would get something that could carry my skills for a while as I got a better amp, etc. The guitar I believe was around 6 or 700 at the time?

If you have an intro guitar (I'd say anything up to 300, though that might be pushing it), I would say that if you are around the year to two year mark (going to vary person to person) then it's safe to say that you're probably going to stick with playing for a while longer and it's "officially" ok to start looking at getting a new/nicer guitar.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:00 AM Post #144 of 191
So I've been looking for the past couple of months or so for a NOS Gibson SG Classic in Ebony Stain because I've regretted selling mine about 2 years ago. I think I may have just found one, going to give them a call to find out more about it as well as the price. Looks like the CDP might have to wait a little bit longer
rolleyes.gif

ebonystain6bp.jpg

And for those curious, that's the ebony stain as opposed to the normal heritage cherry that is now offered exclusively at Musician's Friend.

heritagecherry5dv.jpg

In dark lighting it looks basically black, but in light it looks more like a root beer color. I'm thinking ebony stain (as long as the price isn't ridiculous) because it's awesome looking, plus my SG Standard is a heritage cherry, but then I guess they could be brothers...
biggrin.gif

But if I get this guitar I promise no new guitars for a while... that is unless I can't resist getting a Tele...

Mar 15, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #145 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by SennFan
Cat, nice Strat man...I love the sunburst on those. How do you like the rail pickup in the bridge position?

Thanks, the Hot rail sounds really good, alot louder than the others. If you want a more raw, heavier rock or blues sound, its perfect.

I played a Strat recently with Kinman pick-ups in and that sounded pretty amazing, would love one of those in it, same pick-ups Gary Moore uses in his Strat.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:07 AM Post #148 of 191
I just picked up my first guitar! I'm pretty much teaching myself right now with the help of a few books, I think I'll start taking some lessons soon.

It's an Epiphone PR150, I picked it up from Guitar Center for $99! Sweet deal
icon10.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #149 of 191
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuffMorgan
So I've been looking for the past couple of months or so for a NOS Gibson SG Classic in Ebony Stain because I've regretted selling mine about 2 years ago. I think I may have just found one, going to give them a call to find out more about it as well as the price. Looks like the CDP might have to wait a little bit longer
rolleyes.gif

ebonystain6bp.jpg

And for those curious, that's the ebony stain as opposed to the normal heritage cherry that is now offered exclusively at Musician's Friend.

In dark lighting it looks basically black, but in light it looks more like a root beer color. I'm thinking ebony stain (as long as the price isn't ridiculous) because it's awesome looking, plus my SG Standard is a heritage cherry, but then I guess they could be brothers...
biggrin.gif

But if I get this guitar I promise no new guitars for a while... that is unless I can't resist getting a Tele...

This is exactly my next purchase. I love the ebony best, as well. I'd love to find a good Classic. Then I'll be done with guitars (well, maybe one more strat). What are you expecting to pay for yours?

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #150 of 191
I've actually got an ebony (not ebony stain, apparently Gibson made a handfull of ebony ones) Classic NOS on hold, getting it with a case for just shy of $900. My next purchase after that may end up being a Les Paul Raw Power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back