Post your favorite acoustic songs!
Nov 9, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #47 of 61
Here's a new one from Jon Gomm:
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

It's a 'new' song from his 2nd album, which is out in early December. I say 'new' because he's been playing it live for a couple of years now.

His first album is mostly a technical guitar show, with a few great songs on it. For the new one, I think his songwriting's just about consistently caught up with his guitar playing. Some great songs on there.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #49 of 61
Plenty of good stuff already brought to your plate. Just let me add one.

Portugal. The Man - The Majestic Majesty

It's their acoustic rendering of their latest album "The Satanic Satanist" (nothing satanic about them though
wink.gif
) and is only available through download on their website for 6$: The Majestic Majesty : Portugal. The Man

PS: the band has nothing against you downloading it "somewhere" for free in order to try it (easy to find). But if you get it and like it, spread the love and support them : The Leak. The Response. The Review. | Portugal. The Man

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #50 of 61
A few of my favorites are

any Nick Drake album
Neil Young `Live at Massey Hall 1971`
Bon Iver `For Emma, Forever Ago` (Not pure acoustic, but still an amazing album)
Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds `Live at Luther`
Debashish Bhattacharya `Hindustani Slide Guitar` (Not exactly the same genre as the others, but acoustic none the less)

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by ear8dmg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a new one from Jon Gomm:

Really unorthodox guitar playing, but a very nice listen. Thanks.

- Ed

Nov 10, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #52 of 61
Clapton unplugged has to be my favorite

Nov 12, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #53 of 61
Love this one

Empyrium - Where at Night the Wood Grouse Plays - Abendrot

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #56 of 61
gonzales cover of waves by erol alkan and boys noize^^ erol played it live and its coming out on vinyl
biggrin.gif

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #57 of 61
KT Tunstall. Some of it is more like pop, but a good portion is towards the acoustic side of things. These are two of my favourites.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Nov 13, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #58 of 61
Martha Wainwright-Martha Wainwright- Bloody Motherf****ing A**hole. Great album, and this song still hits all the right spots for me (just been listening to it with my morning coffee in the sun (heaven)).

Nov 29, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #59 of 61
go youtube charulatha mani on youtube and listen to the different ragas...im sure people here will get a kick out of that.  try a search for "charulatha mani raga" and go see all the different ragas she explains on her channel.  if the foreign language makes listening to the music uncomfortable, look up an instrumental version of ragas that you have a fondness for.

good instruments for indian music violin (electric violin is buttery-smooth), mandolin, sitar, and bamboo flute.

here is a sample of ragas that sound noticeably different & they usually evoke a mood or enhance your current mood: hamsadhwani, mohanam, yamuna kalyani, sindhu bhairavi, hindolam, desh, ritigaula, brindavanasaranga, kharaharapriya, sriranjani, nalinakanthi, hamirkalyani & theres way too many more.  I'm sure you could probably find a list on wikipedia or something for hindustani and carnatic ragas (raags, ragams, raaga, etc...spelling differences to english).

EDIT: sorry black friday had me wonky...when i posted the above, i thought the thread was about a listener looking to expand their music collection...sorry that my post does not correlate to the theme - i thought i was somewhere else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back