Post your dream Beyer Manufacture headphones
Jul 20, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
I don't know about the new dt770, but the new dt990 is really something. It probably has a lot to do with the fact that I started on old dt990s, then came back to headphones with the dt990 pros, so I was sorta raised on them, but right now, I'm just completely in love with these cans, and I need to really settle down, let them settle down, before I can write anything useful, because right now, I'm in fangurl mode. The Beyer Luuuv is back!
biggrin.gif

Reading posts like this could prove very bad for my wallet!
I still own the 600ohm 990's but they need new everything including the cable,and being honest their just TOO dark and broody sounding for me now to warrant spending money on them.Bit dissapointing really as they have only lasted about 20 years,think maybe i should complain to Beyer
biggrin.gif

Have you purchased the 32ohm version Plainsong?and would you say the mids are just a little more forward compared to the 990pro?thanks.

Jul 21, 2006 at 2:20 AM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyli3
Reading posts like this could prove very bad for my wallet!
I still own the 600ohm 990's but they need new everything including the cable,and being honest their just TOO dark and broody sounding for me now to warrant spending money on them.Bit dissapointing really as they have only lasted about 20 years,think maybe i should complain to Beyer
biggrin.gif

Have you purchased the 32ohm version Plainsong?and would you say the mids are just a little more forward compared to the 990pro?thanks.

I also have some ailing 600ohm monsters. Those are muddy grainy beasts compared to the new dt990. Although warts and all, those 600ohm monsters did have something special didn't they?

I don't want to really comment yet on the state of mids. I don't want Beyer Luuv to cloud my judgement, which is exactly what's happening now. What I can say is that they are very much more detailed than either the 600ohm or new dt990's. In fact, it's a detail and soundstage that sorta reminds me of the pre-2005 dt880 - except this time there's more bottom end, much more. Kind of like they took what I liked about those dt880s and fixed it.

So that's just a general idea of the kind of sound we're talking about. Still lovely, still I think leaning towards the darker (although - and I haven't directly compared so this is just a thought and not carved in stone), but not as dark as the hd650 (which bluedragon cable). In fact it was like a heavy shroud had been lifted. I'd have to directly compare them though, to see if that heavy shroud was just the Beyer luv in my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

The treble extension is much, and if you have a bright amp or a bright/hard setup, I could see how maybe you'd get an "ouch" but I have a Corda amp, so synergy is goooood. But likewise, bass extension is also much. The mids? Well I think that's where the meat and potatoes are musically, and I also think that in real life it's tough for the meat and potatoes to cut through the treble and the bass, and that headphones with hyped mids are lovely at first, but ultimately, to my ears, not natural - the meat and potatoes wouldn't be that easy to hear in reality and part of the loviness of it is that it does have to compete with the treble and the bass.

Having got that off my chest, I want to wait until my mind clears and the cans break in a bit before giving the answer that we're all waiting to hear. I know beyer typical does recessed mids. I can say there's detail, but how forward, I'll refrain from comment at this point.

I have the 250ohm version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 5:34 AM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

While you guys wait months for your custom cans, I'll be grooving away with my new dt990.
wink.gif

They're worth the wait though. In fact, I can't even write anything remotely useful about them, because I've completely fallen in love... doesn't help that the first cd I tested was Violator. I need time to get my head straight...

but in a few months this will be you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Are yours the 2005/2006? If so, it'd be really, REALLY cool if you posted impressions (comparison-wise). NO ONE seems to have them, and apparently Beyerdynamic definitely upgraded them.

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:34 AM Post #35 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Are yours the 2005/2006? If so, it'd be really, REALLY cool if you posted impressions (comparison-wise). NO ONE seems to have them, and apparently Beyerdynamic definitely upgraded them.

Yes, these are the new new dt990s, with the new headband and metal (plastic really.. I think) grill and all that.

The old dt990 pro had this level of fun, but not this level of detail and certainly not this soundstage (though the old old 600ohm dt990s did have that soundstage..).

As for the mids, this may just be a question of semantics, but I don't think the mids are recessed so much as the treble and bass are forward. Early listening is showing lots of detail as I've already said, but it's still a dt990. It's a big improvement, but still related. Early days yet to be definitive, but I likes it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

I also have some ailing 600ohm monsters. Those are muddy grainy beasts compared to the new dt990. Although warts and all, those 600ohm monsters did have something special didn't they?

I don't want to really comment yet on the state of mids. I don't want Beyer Luuv to cloud my judgement, which is exactly what's happening now. What I can say is that they are very much more detailed than either the 600ohm or new dt990's. In fact, it's a detail and soundstage that sorta reminds me of the pre-2005 dt880 - except this time there's more bottom end, much more. Kind of like they took what I liked about those dt880s and fixed it.

So that's just a general idea of the kind of sound we're talking about. Still lovely, still I think leaning towards the darker (although - and I haven't directly compared so this is just a thought and not carved in stone), but not as dark as the hd650 (which bluedragon cable). In fact it was like a heavy shroud had been lifted. I'd have to directly compare them though, to see if that heavy shroud was just the Beyer luv in my head.
smily_headphones1.gif

The treble extension is much, and if you have a bright amp or a bright/hard setup, I could see how maybe you'd get an "ouch" but I have a Corda amp, so synergy is goooood. But likewise, bass extension is also much. The mids? Well I think that's where the meat and potatoes are musically, and I also think that in real life it's tough for the meat and potatoes to cut through the treble and the bass, and that headphones with hyped mids are lovely at first, but ultimately, to my ears, not natural - the meat and potatoes wouldn't be that easy to hear in reality and part of the loviness of it is that it does have to compete with the treble and the bass.

Having got that off my chest, I want to wait until my mind clears and the cans break in a bit before giving the answer that we're all waiting to hear. I know beyer typical does recessed mids. I can say there's detail, but how forward, I'll refrain from comment at this point.

I have the 250ohm version.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks very much for the above Plainsong,[love the meat and potatoes description]i can tell you know the 990 sound VERY well,think i have already decided to pick the new one's up soon thanks to threads like this one!

Jul 21, 2006 at 11:25 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by redshifter
all black leather, 250 ohm beast for us$360.

btw,
i'm totally groovin on the beyerdynamic website background music!

Imagine, for that amount you can have a woody Darth Beyer.
It seems cool, but highly overpriced.
frown.gif

Jul 21, 2006 at 12:35 PM Post #38 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonyli3
Thanks very much for the above Plainsong,[love the meat and potatoes description]i can tell you know the 990 sound VERY well,think i have already decided to pick the new one's up soon thanks to threads like this one!

I'll quit hi-jacking this thread and post more when I'm ready in fresh thread with that new-thread smell.
smily_headphones1.gif
Yeah, the dt990s are like an old friend, this version just went to the doctor and got better though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back