Post your computer specs!~
Jul 3, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #2,431 of 3,098
I was thinking you can get a TOTL Macbook Pro, and get one of these thunderbolt 3, 40Gbps bandwidth connected dedicated video card boxes. The Macbook Pro should be about to do dual 4k 60hz, and the video card box can carry a 2080RTX TI. And get the 2 of the largest monitors you can carry on the luggage.

I thought razor core with thunderbolt 3 to Macbook Pro would be good solution, but it seems a bit bulky. No doubt that it will provide the best graphics performance, but I wonder if your laptop can be comparable to something like a razor core hooked up to the laptop?

I think Nvidia can do better than razor core, and shrink that mother down and still provide comparable performance.
I will never use an Apple product. I just despise Apple products. Personally, I think they are all trash and you are way too restricted with them.

Pretty much got tired of carrying big monitors. This setup is much more comfortable and better for productivity. Also this doesn't need much space on a desk.

Yes, the laptop has a TB3 port and I can connect an eGPU to it but the internal GPU is equivalent to a desktop RTX 2070 and honestly do you need more performance in a mobile setup?

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #2,432 of 3,098
I will never use an Apple product. I just despise Apple products. Personally, I think they are all trash and you are way too restricted with them.

Pretty much got tired of carrying big monitors. This setup is much more comfortable and better for productivity. Also this doesn't need much space on a desk.

Yes, the laptop has a TB3 port and I can connect an eGPU to it but the internal GPU is equivalent to a desktop RTX 2070 and honestly do you need more performance in a mobile setup?
You don't necessarily need more performance than RTX 2070 in a mobile setup, but I was just sayin if wanting top performance in a mobile platform. The razor core type box would make sense if you lug around a suit-case.

Ok, so your laptop video performance is RTX 2070 level only. Makes sense if you monitors only support 1440p.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #2,433 of 3,098
You don't necessarily need more performance than RTX 2070 in a mobile setup, but I was just sayin if wanting top performance in a mobile platform. The razor core type box would make sense if you lug around a suit-case.

Ok, so your laptop video performance is RTX 2070 level only. Makes sense if you monitors only support 1440p.
So my main setup is Ryzen 9 3950X + RTX 2080Ti. I use 2x3440x1440 + 4x2560x1440 monitors. I am planning to convert that into a File Server + 2 Windows VMs and making this my main workstation.

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2,434 of 3,098
Those boxes are sizable though, regardless. My main rig uses an Ncase M1 and I've got a matching carry bag for it and a monitor bag. Still, the laptop is so much more transportable. No excessive cables etc is really nice. For 1080p 144hz, it does the job really nicely. Only downside to laptops are the noise factor though.. closed back headphones are definitely the go-to.

Jul 3, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #2,435 of 3,098
Those boxes are sizable though, regardless. My main rig uses an Ncase M1 and I've got a matching carry bag for it and a monitor bag. Still, the laptop is so much more transportable. No excessive cables etc is really nice. For 1080p 144hz, it does the job really nicely. Only downside to laptops are the noise factor though.. closed back headphones are definitely the go-to.
Yeah, that Razor core is a space hog. That Ncase M1 is comparable in size. I wonder what's the smallest form-factor you can fit a RTX 2080 Ti, mini motherboard, a good processor, and be fairly transportable with monitors?

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #2,436 of 3,098
Yeah, that Razor core is a space hog. That Ncase M1 is comparable in size. I wonder what's the smallest form-factor you can fit a RTX 2080 Ti, mini motherboard, a good processor, and be fairly transportable with monitors?
As I said, I had it in a Dancase A4-SFX. I think it's about 40% smaller than the Ncase M1.
I believe the Dancase should be smaller than the Razer eGPU case.

I had RTX 2080Ti + i9 9900K + 64GB RAM + 3x5TB HDDs + 1x4TB SSD + 2x2TB NVMe M.2 SSDs in the Dancase.

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #2,438 of 3,098
As I said, I had it in a Dancase A4-SFX. I think it's about 40% smaller than the Ncase M1.
I believe the Dancase should be smaller than the Razer eGPU case.

I had RTX 2080Ti + i9 9900K + 64GB RAM + 3x5TB HDDs + 1x4TB SSD + 2x2TB NVMe M.2 SSDs in the Dancase.

I'd heavily recommend against the Dancase personally for highend hardware. I've tried the Sliger SM560 and other sandwich cases, using Alphenridge cooler and also tried an ID cooling one that allowed a large 140mm slim fan. Temps go pretty wild as does noise. I had to downclock my CPU to keep things reasonable but GPU temps faired better. I run my M1 side intake bottom exhaust. My 1080Ti overclocked heavily doesn't exceed 65C using bottom exhaust with an accellero cooler. CPU games 45-60C overclocked with a modded Noctua C14S. 70C tops if I want to run 5Ghz. Sure loved the look on the smaller size of the sandwich builds though. It's definitely an aesthetics over function type of case.

HOWEVER, if you don't care about temps it'll work fine with some throttling.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,439 of 3,098
I'd heavily recommend against the Dancase personally for highend hardware. I've tried the Sliger SM560 and other sandwich cases. Temps go pretty wild as does noise and your CPU cooling can be limited. I had to downclock my CPU to keep things reasonable but GPU temps faired better. I run my M1 side intake bottom exhaust. My 1080Ti overclocked heavily doesn't exceed 65C using bottom exhaust with an accellero cooler. CPU games 45-60C overclocked with a modded Noctua C14S. 70C tops if I want to run 5Ghz. Sure loved the look on the smaller size of the sandwich builds though. It's definitely an aesthetics over function type of case.
That build falls into extreme SFFPCing. The CPU easily reached 85-90C under load and the GPU was around 80-85C. Other than naturally thermal throttling I experienced no problems at all. 70C is like nothing.

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #2,440 of 3,098
Hah yeah that definitely falls into that catagory.

I fall into the low temp camp, from the earlier more cautious days I suppose. I don't have any build where CPU/GPU exceed 70C and noise is a huge focus given headphone/studio monitor use. There is the laptop though..ugh, max that will do is 75C, maybe touching 80C for a moment on a hot day under the worst load. On my desktop I use a delidded 9700K which helps and I run the daily OC at only 4.8Ghz all core, since I only game I opted for that chip instead especially after the HT vulnerability debacle from Intel. Been humming along though for quite some time now and the top down/side cooling has really help keep the surrounding components cool as well. I'm hoping the 3xxx series cards yield gains that would justify an upgrade. Glad to see the Ryzen competition doing well too, I've a couple 3600 builds that are surprisingly potent! Tuning ram on those yields huge gains, I've got a kit of 4400 at 3600 C14 tightly wound that gives it a nice uplift. I'll have to snap some pics of my setup when I get home. Probably time to do some dusting too.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,441 of 3,098
Hah yeah that definitely falls into that catagory.

I fall into the low temp camp, from the earlier more cautious days I suppose. I don't have any build where CPU/GPU exceed 70C and noise is a huge focus given headphone/studio monitor use. There is the laptop though..ugh, max that will do is 75C, maybe touching 80C for a moment on a hot day under the worst load. On my desktop I use a delidded 9700K which helps and I run the daily OC at only 4.8Ghz all core, since I only game I opted for that chip instead especially after the HT vulnerability debacle from Intel. Been humming along though for quite some time now and the top down/side cooling has really help keep the surrounding components cool as well. I'm hoping the 3xxx series cards yield gains that would justify an upgrade. Glad to see the Ryzen competition doing well too, I've a couple 3600 builds that are surprisingly potent! Tuning ram on those yields huge gains, I've got a kit of 4400 at 3600 C14 tightly wound that gives it a nice uplift. I'll have to snap some pics of my setup when I get home. Probably time to do some dusting too.
Yea I moved out of SFFPC since I no longer want to carry a desktop with me. I just went ATX and got a Define R6.

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #2,442 of 3,098
Your new PC is amazing. I had an R5 case before and really miss it. So easy to liquid cool inside of with gobs of radiator space. When I consider moving away from SFF I'm held back since I've invested so much into my primary PC. I've got a custom made carry bag for the M1, black & silver side panel sets & a whole transport kit that has served well for LANing. I bought a set of really nice Sanace fans that you can solder a PWM head onto for the build for CPU/GPU. Dremeled out the C14S middle bracket so I could bend it to allow push/pull with side intake 92. The top fin array was cut to fit a previous configuration but is still required for fitting on this one too. Removed the ram heatspreaders to be able to wedge it all in there. Not made to be a looker inside but it absolutely pushes a ton of air through.

Bonus PC is one from my LAN. Fractal Nano S case, non window edition. Also a 9700K but this one games at 60C 4.8Ghz after delid and the G10/Corsair 115 cooled GTX 1080 runs at 45C. I really like this one since despite the amount of fans inside it's the quietest rig I've got.

IMG_20200703_134255_4.jpg
IMG_20200703_134341_5.jpg
IMG_20200703_134438_7.jpg
IMG_20200703_135053_6.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #2,444 of 3,098
I recently upgraded to:
MB: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
Cooler: Arctic Freezer Esports DUO
RAM: 16GB 3200Hz HyperX
PSU: Cooler Master 650W