Post your computer specs!~
Feb 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #1,471 of 3,098
intelburn creates insane heat. it can actually kill a cpu. i am also on a big o/c for any air. however prime95 only gets me to 67 after several hours of small. the truth is no application anywhere creates that type of heat so i am not actually going to worry about it. if it starts with bsod's i will lower the o/c. the good thing is these cpu's will most likely shut down at some point. old cpu's simply fried. however i am not going to keep pushing it into the 90's! btw, 3dmark gets me to 59c. which is a real application. a demanding one no less. i did not mean to sound to be smart. truth be told i was stupid to go running something like intel burn and expecting anything less. it is like a torch to paper. so i don't know what i was expecting. now, i do not really suggest that anyone goes and runs it to see what i am talking about. do so at your own risk!

Feb 8, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #1,472 of 3,098
Figured I'd post my specs. I'm running it stock now, no need to OC this CPU, besides, it refuses to heat up. 

Intel i7-970 hex core cooled by Noctua NH-D14
Asus P5N32-Premium or some such mobo
3x2gb Corsair DDR3 ram @ 1600
128gb Kingston V+(?) SSD w/ 2.5tb additional storage on 3 WD Caviar Blacks
EVGA GeForce 470
Corsair 1000w SilentPower PSU
HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card
HAF 932 case w/ red sound-activated cold cathode. 

I built this one a little over a year ago and she's served me well. No bleeding edge anymore, but a beast for sure. The bottleneck seems to be the graphics card at this point, but I'm too broke to upgrade it. Damn my too many hobbies. 

I can dredge some pictures up if need be. Along with playing and listening to music, building/tweaking PCs is one of my favorite hobbies. 

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #1,473 of 3,098

Quote:
For Phenom II the safe max temp was 62°C after that it starts throttling or shuts down to prevent damage. Probally want to keep it below 55° just to have some safety margin for summer. Intel chips can get hotter before they start to throttle etc. Now you get the joy of pulling apart your newly built computer just to fit a CPU cooler backplate
tongue_smile.gif

960T is a Zosma (Thuban), tjmax is 70C. These chips will go up to mid 80s without dying though :) And hey, the silicon doesn't melt till about 95! hahaha... Although I'd never push it past mid 60s, and we all know prime95 adds ~12C to what you'd see under a 'real' full load. I was actually able to get this chip at 3.1GHz at 1.075v...ran cool as a mofo ^_^ Now I'm running 3.65GHz at 1.3v (stock).

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #1,476 of 3,098

Ahh sorry, forgot to check the thread.
Quote:
Shogunner, what is the software that you are using to show your specs?

I use Speccy.

Quote:
What's the load temp on your Phenom?

It's around 45-50 at it's worst actually, I was running a few things in the background, so it's at 41. It usually idles around 28-35 depending on room temperature.

Feb 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #1,477 of 3,098
it will not crash/shut down at 4,77ghz,it throttles but i decided that is much too high. i put it to 3.8 and it goes to 58c gaming 74c intelburn 32c idle. i just do not want to kill a new expensive machine for bragging rights. also i manually set the voltage in the bios to the stock spec. the board had the voltage way too high on auto. i read that is an issue with sandybridge boards. it is fine now. 3.8ghz is plenty for me. if nothing to brag about.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:14 AM Post #1,478 of 3,098
I'm running 4.3ghz 4core 8theaded load holds in wprime and great temps! No throlling! Can go higher But 4.3 is great. I'm on a laptop to Alienware m18x with a i7-2960xm extreme CPU - a fantastic mobile CPU :)

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #1,479 of 3,098
darnit! i read the cpu cores should be 5c above inside temp if properly cooled. i spent a lot to have them build this. it is 47-50c idle at 1600mhz and .768 volt today! it is 17c in here. what could possibly be going on? other weird thing is i read bios reading should be higher than core temp. since bios is being loaded. nope! my bios is 20c lower than core temp. i am very frustrated. perhaps bad sensor? if that means bad cpu...... in fact it did not throttle either. it stayed at 4.77 but got up to 102c in real temp. interestingly the chip did not shut down or throttle. so i am really guessing bad sensor. or is it a bad cpu? i really hope not. if you guys have an answer id really appreciate it. thanks.

Feb 16, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #1,480 of 3,098
it is now at 3.77 ghz on all six cores. cpu stock is 1.2 vcore. i have it down to 1.12 vcore. stable on intel burn 15 minutes. got up to 78c and did not throttle. tjcase is 72.6,tjmax 98,thermal cutout 111. i think perhaps my case sucks. anyways this is fine with me. very quiet and hits 62c on skyrim. i guess that's what i have. at least it o/c's a little on an undervolt. i see people maxing out at 50c on air but i just don't have that kind of luck. the joke is at stock speed the fan did not hit max rpm on intel burn but it went to 76c. oh well. i did not mean to hijack this thread we can return to specs. i think you already know mine
rolleyes.gif

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #1,481 of 3,098
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party but here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-2600k
Gigabyte z68 
8gb ram corsair
560ti twin frozr II edition
750 watt power supply
haf 912 case

What i need/want (dedicated sound card) anyone interested in helping me 
beerchug.gif

Feb 17, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #1,482 of 3,098
Sorry if I'm a little late to the party but here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-2600k
Gigabyte z68 
8gb ram corsair
560ti twin frozr II edition
750 watt power supply
haf 912 case

What i need/want (dedicated sound card) anyone interested in helping me 
beerchug.gif

Why not get an external DAC instead of a soundcard? They usually tend to be superior in terms of sound quality, and additionally the extra software that soundcards bring has almost become redundant since games always use their own SFX engine.
It does however depend a bit on your budget, and what headphones you are going to use with it. (or speakers, but then you might find that you're in the wrong forum)

If you are set on spending little get something like the Asus Xonar DS (~$50). One step up would be the FiiO E7 DAC, (~$90) and another step would get you the Audio-GD NFB-12 (~$200).

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #1,483 of 3,098
Hey thanks for the response,
Well right now I'm using a pair of MDR-NC7's until I can get a nice pair of grado's or the ath-m50's. But to connect them to the pc i'm running them into a guitar rig mobile from native instruments which outputs better quality than the onboard sound card (don't know how much better it could be) but i was thinking about an e7 when i get better phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back