• GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1080OC
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GBx2 2400Mhz
  • Storage: Samsung 250 Pro SSD
  • Cooler: Coolermaster MasterLiquid Pro 240
  • PSU: Corsair RM750
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
  • Mouse: Logitech MX Master
  • Monitor: LG 34UC97 3440x1440p
  • Audio Gear: Topping D10 > JDS EL AMP II > Hifiman Edition X V2, Campfire Audio Solaris

Mar 3, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #2,387 of 3,094
bought in late 2016 (except for audio gear):
Untitled-2.jpg
  • Case: CoolerMaster MasterCase Maker 5
  • CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K
  • Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z170S Sabertoooth
  • GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 1080OC
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8GBx2 2400Mhz
  • Storage: Samsung 250 Pro SSD
  • Cooler: Coolermaster MasterLiquid Pro 240
  • PSU: Corsair RM750
  • Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow X Chroma
  • Mouse: Logitech MX Master
  • Monitor: LG 34UC97 3440x1440p
  • Audio Gear: Topping D10 > JDS EL AMP II > Hifiman Edition X V2, Campfire Audio Solaris

What clock speed are you running the 6700k at?

Mine's really stable and cool at 4.5 with an alphacool eisbaer 240

Very similar spec to my PC, except I'm running an RTX 2070 Super

Mar 4, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #2,388 of 3,094
What clock speed are you running the 6700k at?

Mine's really stable and cool at 4.5 with an alphacool eisbaer 240

Very similar spec to my PC, except I'm running an RTX 2070 Super
Mine is at 4.5Ghz too. Still a beast for my day-to-day use.

Mar 6, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #2,390 of 3,094
Sort of unrelated note, but has anyone ever checked on a UPS Backup or Kill-A-Watt to see how much power they are actually using at max cpu?
It's pretty interesting!

On my old Desktop PC I was kind of surprised to see that I was only using 130 watts of power! I imagine my current PC is using slightly more than that.
I actually don't even set my PC's power savings mode to "Maximum Performance" at all anymore these days (no gaming).
Setting it too low makes Firefox a little laggy though.

I remember once testing one of the very earliest "netbooks" and got it down to using about the same wattage as a CFL light bulb. Under 10 watts, which is crazy.
It was an early EEE PC by Asus.

I always hear people suggesting a 1000 watt or 1500 watt power supply, but I doubt many would even use half that. It would be interesting to know.

I think I only use a 550 watt power supply, but I use onboard video. If I got a $300 video card I possibly may need to upgrade it.

Mar 9, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #2,391 of 3,094
Sort of unrelated note, but has anyone ever checked on a UPS Backup or Kill-A-Watt to see how much power they are actually using at max cpu?
It's pretty interesting!

I always hear people suggesting a 1000 watt or 1500 watt power supply, but I doubt many would even use half that. It would be interesting to know.

I think I only use a 550 watt power supply, but I use onboard video. If I got a $300 video card I possibly may need to upgrade it.

I think its just better to run a power supply higher then needed as it will last longer and since power draw fluctuates you don't wanna go too close to max as just plugging in a usb device will cause BSOD and potential shutdown failure.

I think you're right though, most wont use that much power. I can't really think of what kind of standard system that would need a 1000w+ Power Supply, even with Water cooling pumps and RGB in every device. I can think of one type, Bitcoin Mining machines, Graphics cards are known to use 250watts at peak so stick in 4 of them and you might need 1000+...

Mine has 8700k, 32gb (4x8gb), 2080ti, AIO 2xSSD, 2x3.5inch HD, Bluray Player, RGB and is quoted as max needed 595 Watts. I admittedly have a 850 in there as it was reasonable price when i needed one.I'd be interested in knowing what it does use of that.

Mar 28, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #2,392 of 3,094
It's pretty interesting!

On my old Desktop PC I was kind of surprised to see that I was only using 130 watts of power! I imagine my current PC is using slightly more than that.
I actually don't even set my PC's power savings mode to "Maximum Performance" at all anymore these days (no gaming).

I remember once testing one of the very earliest "netbooks" and got it down to using about the same wattage as a CFL light bulb. Under 10 watts, which is crazy.

It's better to have more overhead than the required power output of your system at max load. A general rule of thumb is to have 20% more overhead on the power supply unit (PSU) than what your system is capable of. So, if your entire system is going 100% (very rare) and it does 800w, then have a 1000w PSU. That's a massive power draw; just making the math easy.
Also important is to have a reliable PSU that has a good rating (bronze, silver, gold, etc...). Uneven voltages on the rails could degrade your components.
Finally, a PSU with more than needed power draw is not bad. It's not constantly drawing that amount of power. If your system peaks at 500w, for example, and you have a 1000w PSU then the PSU will run cooler, smoother, and have less stress on it. So I always recommend someone get a stable and proficient PSU that is more power than you need. Also, if you plan to upgrade stuff in the future, then you wouldn't have to worry about a new PSU if you already have a PSU for it.
If your computer peaks at 350w, then a 500w is a good PSU to get, so on and so forth.

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #2,394 of 3,094
Question for you all. Is 1080ti the best performance value for pricing? There are various 1080ti models, and I'm wondering which 1080ti from which company would be the one to get?

If it's cheaper than the 2070 Super, sure. Otherwise, 5700XT is pretty good if you can stand AMD's FineWine approach.

I think its just better to run a power supply higher then needed as it will last longer and since power draw fluctuates you don't wanna go too close to max as just plugging in a usb device will cause BSOD and potential shutdown failure.

I think you're right though, most wont use that much power. I can't really think of what kind of standard system that would need a 1000w+ Power Supply, even with Water cooling pumps and RGB in every device. I can think of one type, Bitcoin Mining machines, Graphics cards are known to use 250watts at peak so stick in 4 of them and you might need 1000+...

Mine has 8700k, 32gb (4x8gb), 2080ti, AIO 2xSSD, 2x3.5inch HD, Bluray Player, RGB and is quoted as max needed 595 Watts. I admittedly have a 850 in there as it was reasonable price when i needed one.I'd be interested in knowing what it does use of that.

There's also two advantages to 'overkilling' your PSU:

1. You hit the 50% power draw range, which is usually where the most efficient use of the PSU.
2. You don't run things as hot, so the fans don't need to run as fast.
3. Reliability - not hotlining it. That being said, I somehow killed a Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000W the other day less than 1 year into its use when the max power draw is around 750W...........................

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #2,395 of 3,094
It's pretty interesting!

I have an Alienware i7 7700K 32GB water cooled With an ATX 1080 in a system certified by Alienware to handle 2 1080 graphics cards..
it has a 460 watt power supply.. Running battlefield 4 with all attachments connected Wide open and overclocked, I see 310 watts being consumed.. the system at idle with Gsync monitor on consumes 54 watts and drops to 48 when cpu slows.. this includes all fans, water pump and USB powered devices.. big watt power supplies are more a product of marketing. Not to mention that im measuring the current draw of the unit, so the system is actually using less power depending on power supply efficiency And losses

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 4:23 PM Post #2,396 of 3,094
I have an Alienware i7 7700K 32GB water cooled With an ATX 1080 in a system certified by Alienware to handle 2 1080 graphics cards..
it has a 460 watt power supply.. Running battlefield 4 with all attachments connected Wide open and overclocked, I see 310 watts being consumed.. the system at idle with Gsync monitor on consumes 54 watts and drops to 48 when cpu slows.. this includes all fans, water pump and USB powered devices.. big watt power supplies are more a product of marketing. Not to mention that im measuring the current draw of the unit, so the system is actually using less power depending on power supply efficiency And losses

Yeah dawg that's a hard no from me.

One GTX 1080 draws 200W. Two will draw 400W by itself. Vendors like to oversell by cutting back on power supplies: it's the one area no-one cares about because there's nothing flashy associated with it.

Monitor isn't connected to your power supply so that's inconsequential.

AIO loops barely consume any power as their pumps are wimpy.

Apr 4, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #2,397 of 3,094
Yeah dawg that's a hard no from me.

One GTX 1080 draws 200W. Two will draw 400W by itself. Vendors like to oversell by cutting back on power supplies: it's the one area no-one cares about because there's nothing flashy associated with it.

Monitor isn't connected to your power supply so that's inconsequential.

AIO loops barely consume any power as their pumps are wimpy.

my point was the monitor was included in the Total watts consumed, so the PS actually was consuming less.. seems dell and Alienware know what power is required on a system rated for two 1080 cards using a PS necessary to support the load.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #2,398 of 3,094
Last edited:
Apr 6, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #2,400 of 3,094

Users who are viewing this thread

Back