Post-Rock Thread
May 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM Post #61 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by festivus528 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here into The Mercury Program? Their new album Chez Viking should be out soon.

Awesome news... I heard about them recording ages ago and kinda forgot until now - thanks for the reminder!

May 30, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #64 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jakob

Very cool band right there. I was just coming to this thread to recommend them and saw they had already been mentioned.

Cale/Drew is a nice album from them.

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #65 of 81
I've been using Pandora recently to try to find some more post rock. Using Mogwai, God is an Astronaut, and This Will Destroy You as seeds, I have discovered some nifty bands worth checking out:

Masha Qrella
Sans Arc
Kill Sadie
The Six Parts Seven

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #66 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozstrike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone needs to check out Maybeshewill. The music is great, with lots of samples from films and stuff, and they're really nice guys too. The new album is out next week I think.

I just found Maybeshewill. I can't say this group has the most complex music, but it's very enjoyable to listen to.

Jun 15, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #67 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just found Maybeshewill. I can't say this group has the most complex music, but it's very enjoyable to listen to.

My first post! I was just about to recommend these guys, but I'm not sure where you would put this band, but Anoice is a great band. Listen to Liange... it's great.

Jun 26, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #68 of 81
Man, I am loving me some Saxon Shore right now. Great music. And tonight, I'm going up to Chicago to see The Appleseed Cast.

Aug 27, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #69 of 81
One of the best post-rock albums I've listened to in a long time. I love it when post-rock is blended with slowcore. Using the violin to drive the music, the result is this really hypnotic melodic experience that feels very serene yet intensely emotional. Beautiful sadness. Melancholic.

Dirty Three - Ocean Songs (1998)

dirtythreeos.jpg

Aug 27, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #70 of 81
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aslan123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm surprised that the Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band haven't been mentioned yet.

I thought I saw them on the first page

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #73 of 81

Quote:
Man, I am loving me some Saxon Shore right now. Great music. And tonight, I'm going up to Chicago to see The Appleseed Cast.

Just discovered them, good band but the album "It Doesn't Matter" was mastered a bit loud. I saw Appleseed Cast live with Dreamend open for Appleseed Cast's Low Level Owl Tour where they played said albums Vol 1+2 in a row. Amazing show.

Quote:
One of the best post-rock albums I've listened to in a long time. I love it when post-rock is blended with slowcore. Using the violin to drive the music, the result is this really hypnotic melodic experience that feels very serene yet intensely emotional. Beautiful sadness. Melancholic.

Dirty Three - Ocean Songs (1998)

dirtythreeos.jpg

Good album, but not one track stood out. It felt like one really long song.

Mar 25, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #74 of 81

Quote:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, nicely mastered on the last The Destruction Of Small Ideas CD too, after they began to realize that heavy compression and limiting was hurting the sound of the music (see below). The Distant and Mechanised Glow of Eastern European Dance Parties EP just came out this week, did you hear any of it yet? Definitely a lot more interesting than some of the bands mentioned in this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, I have the CD, and I saw them live a few weeks ago. Easily the best live show I've ever been to, ended up getting pulled onto the stage for the finale!

The new Russian Circles album is out soon, I've preordered the CD, and the vinyl version too. There's a box set that has all 3 colours of the vinyl pressing.

Everyone needs to check out Maybeshewill. The music is great, with lots of samples from films and stuff, and they're really nice guys too. The new album is out next week I think.

Saw Maybeshewill on tour with.......

Quote:
I am not too much of a fan of this genre. I prefer post-metal like ISIS, Rosetta etc.

Anyone checked out Long Distance Calling? Its nothing ground-breaking or new, but the melodies are good, dare I say catchy? Their albums seem to be quite well produced.

Long Distance Calling. It was a real shame, but the first band on were a local metal band who did covers of Black Sabbath and most people had turned up to see them?! The crowd got smaller for the the headliners. However, Glasgow is a major venue for music and thankfully post rock bands, possibly because of the influence of Mogwai as our local band. I ended up in Edinburgh to see them on their present tour.

A band who I seen once and will see again in a couple of months is And So I Watch You From Afar (ASIWYFA) who are at the metal end of the genre.They pack their venues and are well worth checking out. I saw Grails last year, along with about 40 other people. Other more local bands on tour at the moment are Errors (a band supported by Mogwai on their label) and Vessels. Next month I will be going to see Battles, who I do not think have been mentioned in this thread.

Of course, plenty more ideas, with pictures here   http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/492949/the-post-and-math-rock-appreciation-thread

Mar 25, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #75 of 81
also This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket has leaked and also has a pre-order now.

USA/Worldwide: http://suicidesqueeze.bigcarte l.com/
*first 200 pre-orders (regardless of format) will receive the following: 11 x 17 poster, 3 buttons, and 2x CASSETTE OF TUNNEL BLANKET

EUROPE: http://www.monotremerecords.com/products-page
*first 50 pre-orders receive 3 buttons

Check out my blog I started on the subject :)

http://posting-rock.tumblr.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back