Post pictures of your Tube Tester(s)!
Jul 28, 2005 at 9:54 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob N
Are there any tube testers that you can plug headphones in and actually listen for noise?

afaik, the tv-7 allows you to.

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:51 PM Post #17 of 40
The George Kaye tester has a microphonics check, but the tester is limited to small signal tubes only.

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #18 of 40
All the Hickok TV series have noise jacks. They require headphones with two seperate leads (Hickok sold their own headphones for noise testing, but you can modify modern headphones as well). None will accept the conventional stereo mini or 1/4" jacks.

Jul 29, 2005 at 1:29 PM Post #20 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blooze
Inherited a Sencore Mighty Mite TC142, but haven't used it yet.

Does anyone know if this is worth keeping and using or not?

it should be a simple emissions tester.

not as good as a proper mutual conductance tester, but still useful for sorting out the dud tubes from the good quickly. you might also be able to test for shorts with the tester.

Jul 29, 2005 at 4:17 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by adhoc
it should be a simple emissions tester.

not as good as a proper mutual conductance tester, but still useful for sorting out the dud tubes from the good quickly. you might also be able to test for shorts with the tester.

Curious- I've heard that emissions testers are really only good for diode and rectifier tubes. Is this correct thinking? I'm just scratching at learning tube stuff. I've got a stack of El34's that came with a batch of stuff and would like to check them. They are pentodes aren't they?

It has a short tester and you can do a filament "life test" by dropping the voltage.

Jul 29, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #22 of 40
I would never use an emissions tester as they can put improper voltages on the tube and can actually do harm. This is well known with people who use testers alot. Get a good mutual conductance tester like a Hickok or one of the many others that tests a tube correctly.

I have thought about posting pictures of my testers but I don't feel like going through all of them. I have about 10 working and calibrated. I went on a tester purchasing binge a few years ago. .. too much so, but testers are cool.

John

Jul 29, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #23 of 40
Wow, this thread is full of enough switches and dials to run a WWII battleship!
icon10.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8
I would never use an emissions tester as they can put improper voltages on the tube and can actually do harm. This is well known with people who use testers alot. Get a good mutual conductance tester like a Hickok or one of the many others that tests a tube correctly.

I have thought about posting pictures of my testers but I don't feel like going through all of them. I have about 10 working and calibrated. I went on a tester purchasing binge a few years ago. .. too much so, but testers are cool.

John

So even adjusting the emmision tester to the recommended settings in the manual for a particular tube can ruin the tube?

Jul 29, 2005 at 7:13 PM Post #25 of 40
Many emmision testers are unreliable even when adjusted because they put the wrong type of voltage on the tube. There is much reading on damage done to tube be the emmision tester and it is permanent.

John

Jul 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #26 of 40
Anybody know where I can get a Service manual for my Shell Test-O-Matic like  the one Capt. Z posted a pic of?

I know this is an old thread but hey lets hear it for revival!

Jul 21, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #27 of 40
Necroposting at its finest :)

But while I am here... some of my goodies. Boy do I feel for the people that hand wired these back in the day. You do have to love that wonderful early electronics smell. Fills my whole office!
- B&K 707 black case - calibrated and tested, slightly modded. Soon to be 12ax7 modded. Museum quality of course (besides the mods) Courtesy of BMF right here on head-fi.

- Sencore TC-142. Calibrated and repaired by me. If a tube is leaking - it will find it.

- Precision Apparatus 920. In a slow process of being revived. works partially... well only one side works in dual triode testing. Outstanding condition other than the handle. Will replace when I find the correct one.

Jul 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #28 of 40
Nice - didn't know this thread existed.

I can't compete with the Hickok stuff, but I do have a couple of nice Jacksons:

A fairly typical 648S:

(A very nice Jackson 658A seen on the right.)

My pride and joy is an immaculate B&K 747 (fully restored and calibrated):

Jul 22, 2013 at 3:31 AM Post #29 of 40
Don't underestimate a nice Jackson.
Many Hickok can't test WE tubes, most Jackson can.
They have a superior leakage and shorts circuit than Hickok, and the results are based on plate current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back