Post Pictures of Your Instrument and more!
Jan 3, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #136 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I studied with Nai-Yuan Hu for a few days in the summer, and I think he brought his ex-hubay strad with him, and the sound he produced was gorgeous... Theres a reason why he won the 1985 Queen Elizabeth Competition!

Heres a link to a page on him
http://www.chambermusicinternational...ts&artist_id=9

Heres a link to a recording
http://www.amazon.com/Romantic-Violi...e=UTF8&s=music

"In 1985, violinist Nai-Yuan Hu won the First Prize in the prestigious Queen Elisabeth International Competition in Belgium, which was juried by a distinguished panel of musicians such as Yehudi Menuhin, Henryk Szeryng, Igor Oistrakh and Gidon Kremer." Impressive to say the least! He's a great violinist, but is he a good teacher?

I've heard a few Strads in my life and I've been very impressed. The sound is out-of-this-world. I've never heard one up close though. What is it like?

Jan 3, 2007 at 11:51 AM Post #137 of 597
CONGRATS on the lovely bow!

Does your case have a humidifier or other climate control?

Some interesting looking speakers and electronics in the background. Comments/Details?

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
violinub6.jpg

Jan 3, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #138 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CONGRATS on the lovely bow!

Thx a lot!

Quote:

Does your case have a humidifier or other climate control?

The case has a hydrometer just like this one (can't be bothered to take photos atm
biggrin.gif
, so I'm using photos from the case maker's website):
Musafia%20International%20Classic1B.jpg

And also a humidifier:
3011egreybey2.jpg

I also have a hydrometer like this one, which came with something called a Dampit. It's the green/black thing that protrudes out of the F-hole. The Dampit hydrometer is much less sophisticated, but much more effective. Hence, I tend to rely on the Dampit one more than the fancier one that came with the case.
music-basics_1930_5781304

Quote:

Some interesting looking speakers and electronics in the background. Comments/Details?

Better picture here:
p1050730it7.jpg

From left to right: Focal JMLab Diva Utopia Be, Chord SPM 1200E Amplifier, Chord CPA 3200E Pre-Amplifier, Esoteric X-03SE CD/SACDP

The only notable pieces of equipment inside and on the wooden shelf are the Sony DVP-NS9100ES and the Samsung 50" PDP.

I will take pictures of anything you want more detail of tomorrow. Just give me a shout.

Jan 4, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #139 of 597
Quote:

Thx a lot!

The case has a hydrometer just like this one (can't be bothered to take photos atm
biggrin.gif
, so I'm using photos from the case maker's website):
Musafia%20International%20Classic1B.jpg

And also a humidifier:
3011egreybey2.jpg

I also have a hydrometer like this one, which came with something called a Dampit. It's the green/black thing that protrudes out of the F-hole. The Dampit hydrometer is much less sophisticated, but much more effective. Hence, I tend to rely on the Dampit one more than the fancier one that came with the case.

Better picture here:

From left to right: Focal JMLab Diva Utopia Be, Chord SPM 1200E Amplifier, Chord CPA 3200E Pre-Amplifier, Esoteric X-03SE CD/SACDP

The only notable pieces of equipment inside and on the wooden shelf are the Sony DVP-NS9100ES and the Samsung 50" PDP.

I will take pictures of anything you want more detail of tomorrow. Just give me a shout.

Thanks. I saw the meter, but wasn't sure it had a humidifier as well. It's not mentioned in the list of features I've seen on various sites, tho' perhaps they assume everyone knows it would be incorporated.

That is a very nice music room, indeed!

Jan 4, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #140 of 597
Quote:

skyline889: Oh my, that is one gorgeous guitar.

Thanks! They're nowhere near as expensive as the stuff around here, probably not even as expensive as most of your bows. But I really love them, and the sound...I have gone through a lot of guitars and these bring a big smile to my face.
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #141 of 597
1045.jpg

left to right
-(Black Betty) Alvarez acoustic, my $200 giant killer. I walked into the shops with $800 to spend and somehow came out with her instead.
-(Angelique) Korean Fender Stratocaster, special edition with seymore duncan pickups, synchronized tremelo, and a beautiful birds-eye maple neck and fretboard with abalone inlays.
-Crate 50watt tube amp with a few built in digital fx, boss ds-1 and pw-10 wah.
-(Kelsey) my first guitar, used to be a black strat-imitation. Re-did the paint a few years ago, and tweaked it a bit to my liking. Yes that is masking tape where the volume knob used to be, and yes that is tin foil shielding. She is butt ugly up close, but I've got a thick skin, and she doesn't mind being tossed around a bit!
icon10.gif

Jan 4, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #142 of 597
Quote:

Impressive to say the least! He's a great violinist, but is he a good teacher?

well, hes a TOUGH teacher and somewhat demanding, which made me very frustrated coming out of a teacher who really didn't pay attention to details like he did (which is why I suck...). He would make sure every note in the bruch first movement was in tune, and we spent an hour doing useless wrist exercises that would have "helped" me have better wrist fluidity at the frog of the bow... His standards for all of his students were the same, so he treated me as if I were going to be a professional player... He even said some uncouraging words like "I would never play as badly as you do" (which is true lol, but still caustic and not motivating words)... Anyways, the other teacher I had at the camp was Lynn Chang and he was much nicer, not concerned with so much details... Heres his link http://www.newenglandconservatory.ed...ty/changL.html

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #143 of 597
Hmmm....so I just unpacked my violin for the first time in a while to see where it was made. All along I had a Joseph Guarnerius violin! The label inside says:

"Joseph Guarnerius fecit Cremonae anno 1717 IHS"

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #144 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm....so I just unpacked my violin for the first time in a while to see where it was made. All along I had a Joseph Guarnerius violin! The label inside says:

So you're telling me you actually have a del Gesu
cool.gif
Although the chances of it being actually genuine is close to zero (Jean Baptiste Vuillaume did painstaking reproductions of Guarneris and Strads but even those are valued at a couple hundred thousand nowadays), please post photos anyway! Take it to a violin dealer and see what they say... You've got nothing to lose
wink.gif
If it is indeed a del Gesu, then sell it at an auction for a couple of million and retire
cool.gif

Jan 16, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #145 of 597
I hope it's not fake....I mean it's always sounded better than any other violin I've heard
etysmile.gif
maybe I'm exaggerating
tongue.gif
but I gotta get it appraised.

Jan 16, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #147 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you bought it for under 2 million dollars, its not real and is just a replication...

Jan 25, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #148 of 597
Just picked these up on Sunday, and am loving them so far. A Fender Mexi fat strat and a Vox AD15VT. Connected with my homemade cable I was able to make thanks to the DIY section here.

IMG_4621(2).JPG

Jan 25, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #149 of 597
Always a fun topic — here's a link to one of many sites discussing the "Joseph Guarnerius..." labels and such (and pics of the labels discussed):

guarnieri.com_Joseph G labels...

Read the article for explanations of these labels:

JosephGLabels13_1.jpg

Jan 25, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #150 of 597
Guitars don't have to be big or expensive to be fun to play with a sound you wouldn't expect - especially for us that have short stubby hands, and who just wanted to have some fun already, it's far past time for the return of the parlor guitar.

Until then - there's my trusty Little Martin LXK2.

img_0665.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back