Post Pictures of Your Instrument and more!
Sep 4, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #106 of 597
I'm certainly not very good right now but here's my Alvarez....

AlvarezAcoustic007.jpg

AlvarezAcoustic012.jpg

Sep 4, 2006 at 5:47 PM Post #107 of 597
(Please don't mind the horrible picture)
I would take a better picture, but my camera is at school and my guitar is in it's case at home.

guitar.jpg

My brand new Ibanez GA5TCE Classical-electric guitar.
Although you can't see it in this picture, the front wood is quite figured. I'll have to take a close up picture someday.

Just got it this summer, and have been learning to play. I'm still learning cords on it, but I enjoy it.

I simply love the sound of the classical guitar. Someday I wish to be able to play songs like scarborough fair on it, and also be able to play flemenco songs like Esteban plays.

Dec 31, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #108 of 597
I'm so ****ing pissed off.... While I was changing strings on my violinst, my retainer (plastic) fell on the violin so now there is chip on the violin.... I'm so pissed, because just a couple of weeks ago I had the violin touched up with varnish... Pictures later

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #109 of 597
Oh boy Oistrakh, that's gotta be a pain in the butt. Hopefully it's not a large scratch.

KenW, that's a nice looking acoustic you have there. I love the simplistic colors and design! Fancy

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #110 of 597
Yay 700'th post.

Well, I wanted to get the esteban instructional videos for the classical guitar to learn finger picking, and for a little extra money I could get a whole classical guitar, case, and amp. So, I decided to get the whole package. The case alone was worth almost the extra compared to just buying the DVD's.

New esteban guitar. The ibanez is built a little better, with more attention to detail, but still a great guitar for me to practice on!

esteban1.jpg

esteban2.jpg

esteban3.jpg

Dec 31, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #111 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh boy Oistrakh, that's gotta be a pain in the butt. Hopefully it's not a large scratch.

Its larger than a scratch... But it can be easily fixed, but it still pisses me off

Jan 1, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #114 of 597
DSC02501.jpg

An Alhambra 6P classical guitar, but I'm more interested in bossa nova than classical music

DSC02506.jpg

An Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I don't use it anymore when as the sound of a nylon string guitar (first pic) is much more pleasing to the ear. I also included my boxers in the pic, but I still use those from time to time.

Jan 1, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #115 of 597
guitar.jpg
rose.jpg

My Kenny Hill double cedartop Rodriguez guitar. Know Kenny made it by his own hand since there's so few double tops around (was a prototype). Double top is really nice and makes the guitar louder.

I used to have my nails grown out so I could really do classical method. Now I just try to keep my current skills up. I'm so tempted to grow out my nails again....but it's a pain to constantly be filing them to make sure they're the right shape and aren't going to break.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yay 700'th post.

Well, I wanted to get the esteban instructional videos for the classical guitar to learn finger picking, and for a little extra money I could get a whole classical guitar, case, and amp. So, I decided to get the whole package. The case alone was worth almost the extra compared to just buying the DVD's.

New esteban guitar. The ibanez is built a little better, with more attention to detail, but still a great guitar for me to practice on!

Towert7, looks like you're in a great position to really start learning classical guitar. I would think that Esteban just sticks with finger picking. Try getting Scott Tennant's "Pumping Nylon" DVD and book. It's a great series that teaches you begining hand positions and various warm up scales. There are a few begining studies for classical guitar, but one good book of scales is actually from Segovia (pretty easy to find).

Jan 1, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #116 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
violin1se0.jpg

Nice violin! Who's the maker? Age (looks fairly new, probably post-1900)?
IIRC, the Evah set uses a steel E string. How do you like it? Is it responsive?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its larger than a scratch... But it can be easily fixed, but it still pisses me off

Scratches aren't a big deal really. Most violins have loads of scratches anyway
wink.gif
You'll get used to it
tongue.gif
Awaiting pictures of your newly varnished "fiddle"

Anyway, here are some newly taken pictures of my violin
cool.gif
Note that the colours aren't very accurate, eg there is a yellowish tinge because of the lighting.
violinub6.jpg

violin1ni9.jpg

violin2vd9.jpg

violin3ml1.jpg

violin4ni1.jpg
violin5ev2.jpg

violin6pd3.jpg
violin7xk9.jpg

violin8zr4.jpg

violin9vh0.jpg

violin11wg7.jpg

Got a new bow a while ago! The bow on the bottom rack with gold wire is new. I've had it on loan for a while (hence is pictured in my previous pictures), but recently bought it. The "POS" bow that I referred to is the one on the 2nd rack from the top with white wire. My old bow costs around $400 (can't really remember, it was a few years ago) and this new one is just under $1k. The difference is phenomenal! I didn't know a bow could make such a huge difference on the sound until now... I can't go back to my old bow now! It's just like trying to go back to iBuds after listening to the HD650
wink.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 3:11 PM Post #117 of 597
My Selmer
y5oc8z.jpg

Jan 1, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #118 of 597
y5occy.jpg

Jan 1, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #119 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice violin! Who's the maker? Age (looks fairly new, probably post-1900)?
IIRC, the Evah set uses a steel E string. How do you like it? Is it responsive?

Yeah, it's post-1900, but not by much. Eugen Gartner.

There's a choice between steel and gold. I use steel because there's no real point in using gold unless for competitions or something; I find the gold wears off easily (maybe just because of my overly sweaty fingers?) although it does sound a bit less sharp. I find steel to be very responsive and easy to handle, especially compared to my last strings. I tried Eudoxa for a taste of gut strings but didn't like them much in terms of sound and they broke more often.

I've tried (no, not really looking to buy
rolleyes.gif
) a Sartory, Vigneron, and a few others. They made my violin sound that much better and made it that much easier to play, even though my violin costs significantly less.

EDIT

You've got 4 bows? Woah, that's pretty insane.
tongue.gif

Jan 1, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #120 of 597
This thread reminds me that playing music and enjoying music aren't always diametrically opposed. I remember Con kids not listening to stuff because it "ruined their mojo" or something, so silly. Play on, I say!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back