Post pics of your computer rigs here.
Jan 9, 2007 at 3:13 AM Post #166 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by technobarbie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ hYdrociTy

Man that is just classic. Did you ever overclock it? Did you run into heating issues. hehe

Yea it was the 2500+ barton overclocked with the the ever so popular 11x200 settings.
The hsf I used was this old relic

It was designed for pentium III's and early athlonxp's, so the temps were never below 50deg Celcius... I really didn't use it for cooling, but rather as an artifact of affection... this was one that I always wanted get years ago...

Needless to say, the combination of faulty dielectric schemes, inadequate cooling, and always on computing, the motherboard's life ended faster than my spring quarter ended ~11 weeks

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #167 of 723

Click for higher res

There's my rig which consists of:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2700MHz + Scythe Infinity
3GB of DDR400@450
2x MSI 7900GT 256MB with heat-pipe cooling in SLI configuration
Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-C
Terratec 6fire LT
Western Digital Raptor 150GB
2x Samsung T133 400GB in RAID 0 configuration
Asus DRW-1608P2S DVD+/-RW
Gigabyte GO-W1623A DVD+/-RW
4x 12cm Scythe S-FLEX E
Seasonic S12-550 Energy Plus
Antec P180

Jan 9, 2007 at 12:06 PM Post #168 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh Man Praetorian Case! That is my all-time-fav-pc-case-ever-in-eternity-yet-I-Still-Cant-Afford-It
case..
And you even got it with the window!
.. why are there grills on the outside of the fans? I thought the case had a black mesh thing already

Really? I hated the damn thing, no room whatsoever.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #169 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I hated the damn thing, no room whatsoever.

Well I usually have a g-raid as storage, so I never have more than two hd's in a pc.
Its actually a toss up between the black praetorian (without window) or the lianli pc65 black (with window)... They both are very solid and convey competency without cheap ostentatious bells and whistles..

Jan 10, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #170 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Click for higher res

There's my rig which consists of:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ @ 2700MHz + Scythe Infinity
3GB of DDR400@450
2x MSI 7900GT 256MB with heat-pipe cooling in SLI configuration
Terratec Cinergy 1200 DVB-C
Terratec 6fire LT
Western Digital Raptor 150GB
2x Samsung T133 400GB in RAID 0 configuration
Asus DRW-1608P2S DVD+/-RW
Gigabyte GO-W1623A DVD+/-RW
4x 12cm Scythe S-FLEX E
Seasonic S12-550 Energy Plus
Antec P180

now THIS is an awesome silent system

you sure know your parts.... visit SPCR often?

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #171 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now THIS is an awesome silent system

you sure know your parts.... visit SPCR often?

I do
biggrin.gif

should be getting an Antec SOLO tomorrow (it's a P150 with no PSU because I'll use a BeQuiet PSU). I actually tought about a P180 before I knew about the P150/Solo but the P150 is more than enough for my system. The P150 is more of a 'silent' case and the P180 a 'performance+silence' case. right now I don't do much gaming so I picked the Solo... oh yeah, and it has hard-drive suspending system
biggrin.gif
will post pics when I get it.
smily_headphones1.gif

hey, ShadowVlican, do you recommend those Scythe fans? are they as silent as they say? I was thinking about the 8.7dba model... or a noiseblocker sx1 perhaps? any experience with these?

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #172 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoVibe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do
biggrin.gif

should be getting an Antec SOLO tomorrow (it's a P150 with no PSU because I'll use a BeQuiet PSU). I actually tought about a P180 before I knew about the P150/Solo but the P150 is more than enough for my system. The P150 is more of a 'silent' case and the P180 a 'performance+silence' case. right now I don't do much gaming so I picked the Solo... oh yeah, and it has hard-drive suspending system
biggrin.gif
will post pics when I get it.
smily_headphones1.gif

hey, ShadowVlican, do you recommend those Scythe fans? are they as silent as they say? I was thinking about the 8.7dba model... or a noiseblocker sx1 perhaps? any experience with these?

a seasonic psu would be better

and I like the Yate Loon fans much more then the Scythe fans

Jan 10, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #173 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a seasonic psu would be better

and I like the Yate Loon fans much more then the Scythe fans

Have you compared Seasonic to BeQuiet? I've owned BeQuiet PSU for a long time and it's completely noiseless even with two fans.

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #174 of 723
yes, the bequiet psu's really are very silent. I haven't tried seasonic but SPCR seems to like them altough they have trouble getting bequiet psu's because they're only sold in europe (I think). they actually tested a 600w psu from bequiet but that surely produces more heat than my humble 350w...

mine is almost 2years old and I've had it kept away for about a year because I bought a 'wanna-be-silent-case' from arctic with PSU. I think the "solo+bequiet+suspended hardrives" combo is going to make a lot of difference.

by the way... anyone who cares about silent computing should do this test: grab a hard-drive with your hands away from the chassis while it's working (make sure it's not touching anything but your hand and the cables)
you won't believe how much vibration those things produce, even when they're not writing/reading/seeking. then, touch the chassis with the hard drive and you'll hear the entire chassis vibrating with it !!
when you touch an average case you feel it vibrating. I aways tought the main reason for this were fans but it's actually the hard drives...

another thing you can do is pause the boot procedure before you get to windows (pause/break key) and then unplug the power cords from your hard drives (Yes, I know I shouldn't do that but it's what happens when your reset your pc or when the lights go out) and you'll hear the difference that makes... especially with 2 or more hard-drives.

these two tests were enough for me to pull the trigger on the Solo with HD suspension...

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #175 of 723
Please report to us when you get your Antec Solo Neovibe. I'm very interested if that rubber band method for hard drives or the polycarbonate liner will do any difference.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #176 of 723
Quote:

yes, the bequiet psu's really are very silent. I haven't tried seasonic but SPCR seems to like them altough they have trouble getting bequiet psu's because they're only sold in europe (I think). they actually tested a 600w psu from bequiet but that surely produces more heat than my humble 350w...

mine is almost 2years old and I've had it kept away for about a year because I bought a 'wanna-be-silent-case' from arctic with PSU. I think the "solo+bequiet+suspended hardrives" combo is going to make a lot of difference.

by the way... anyone who cares about silent computing should do this test: grab a hard-drive with your hands away from the chassis while it's working (make sure it's not touching anything but your hand and the cables)
you won't believe how much vibration those things produce, even when they're not writing/reading/seeking. then, touch the chassis with the hard drive and you'll hear the entire chassis vibrating with it !!
when you touch an average case you feel it vibrating. I aways tought the main reason for this were fans but it's actually the hard drives...

another thing you can do is pause the boot procedure before you get to windows (pause/break key) and then unplug the power cords from your hard drives (Yes, I know I shouldn't do that but it's what happens when your reset your pc or when the lights go out) and you'll hear the difference that makes... especially with 2 or more hard-drives.

these two tests were enough for me to pull the trigger on the Solo with HD suspension...

I can't feel my case vibrating when I touch it at idle, but when there's HD activity, I can feel it in my mouse, heh. The mouse isn't even near the case or on the same level either. This Seagate hard drive is way better than any other drives I've had in the past though (maxtor and WD). It runs way cooler and quieter and has 5yr warranty.

Jan 10, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #177 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by picklgreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1110647114_l.jpg

This one is a work in progress!

there is another one over there ------------------------------------------------------->
1524832671_l.jpg

There are 3 of them here

2 FW900s FTW!
eek.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #178 of 723
Quote:

don't read the manufacturer dB ratings, since they cannot be compared reliably to other manufacturers

i'm using a couple coolermaster sleeve bearing 120s.... granted they probably aren't as quiet as SPCR's favourite NEXUS fans, but they don't cost that much either
biggrin.gif
i have them hooked up to a fan controller and run them at 7v all the time

good choice with the solo.... though you should read some more since i've heard people saying there's trouble with the rubber band snapping (not sure if that has been corrected yet)

suspending the hard drives is a great option that i haven't tried yet (though with 7 drives in my main system i can't make it silent anyways...) those suckers vibrate like no tomorrow (those who can't feel the vibration must be getting old, or have a really heavy steel case with like one hard drive in rubber grommets)

Jan 10, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #179 of 723
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you compared Seasonic to BeQuiet? I've owned BeQuiet PSU for a long time and it's completely noiseless even with two fans.

I have not personally used a BeQuiet psu (I'm in the US) but I have owned a Seasonic S12-600 and it is a wonderful psu and I'm not the only one to say that! Seasonic makes some of the best psus period and their S12 series 600w model was consistently ranked among the top few psus in both the states and European markets. the new M12 series is supposed to be even better.

To me the performance of a psu is more important then how quiet it is, but a quiet psu will always be better then a noisy one. That is why I did not buy a PC Power & Cooling until they came out with their Silencer series. Since then I have purchased both a 610w and a 750w version. They are louder then the S12-600, but more powerful.

the most important factor in a psu is stability, stable rails are a must. power and efficiency are also important. I would not spend money on a psu that is not at least 80% efficient because then it will just create more heat then necessary and thus be louder (or cause your other fans to need to be on more often/faster) and run up your electric bill.

I try to go for a balance between price/performance and quiet/performance. I posted my rig before, but just the fact that I have a triple rad mounted on the top of my case with 2 Panaflo fans should say that there is a balance between price and performance.

Jan 11, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #180 of 723
Old and busted:
dscn2414rz3.jpg

The new hotness:
dscn2415zu0.jpg

Yes my heatsink is enormous, thanks for noticing.
icon10.gif

New setup is Thermalright Ultra-120 with a 120mm Noctua and both live up to the hype.

For the observant or those that want to try this setup in a p180. Put the fan on the other side than it is in the bottom pic, blowing through the heatsink towards the rear case fan. Excellent results with the hot running pentium D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back