Post pic(s) of your latest "significant" purchase(s)!!! v2.0
Feb 22, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #2,118 of 4,134

I think it compares well to other DACs in the price range. I actually pre-ordered mine., but it does look nice stack with their other gear. I have and ERC-2 and USP-1 sitting underneath mine. I use the USB in from the PC and the AES from the ERC-2. I have not tried the analog XLR in. I need to get some cables to try it.

Quote:

This was kind of a buy on a whim. I've been looking into 'budget friendly' companies that do almost all the parts in a speaker chain (pre, power, etc.) and Emotiva is a name I've heard a lot of buzz about. First heard about them on Head-fi, actually. 

Anyway, this is the only DAC they offer at the moment and it's priced at $250 (they're doing a close out. Pretty sure they'll be releasing a new model)...but I figured 'what the heck' and decided to pick it up. 

I've been wanting to compare my SA8004's USB to something else, I've never heard a BB chip before, and it will give me a chance to judge their build quality. 

If all goes well I could easily see myself buying my whole chain from them (with the exception of the CD player). If not, they have a hassle free 30 day return policy.

EDIT: 2 Optical ins, 2 COAX ins, AES in, Balanced and SE outs. For $250? Unless it sounds like absolute butts I'd call it a bargain. Stand by for impressions.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #2,119 of 4,134
Sounds fine to me. I'm eager to test it along side my SA8004. I bought the 8004 to use as a transport more than anything else, but I've been using its USB DAC and headphone out while I wait for my LF. It's served me well, but I want to hear how good the DAC actually is. 

Part of me hopes it beats out the Emotiva, but part of me doesn't so I could recommend the SA8004 even more. lol

Quote:
I think it compares well to other DACs in the price range. I actually pre-ordered mine., but it does look nice stack with their other gear. I have and ERC-2 and USP-1 sitting underneath mine. I use the USB in from the PC and the AES from the ERC-2. I have not tried the analog XLR in. I need to get some cables to try it.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #2,120 of 4,134

Quote:

EDIT: It was more like a plug for their return policy. :D

How can you do a plug for their return policy when they won't let you return the item...? 
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #2,121 of 4,134
The plug comment was a joke...I feel like you're either just being difficult or missed the joke. It wasn't very good, I suppose. It's sometimes hard to convey tone over the internet.

Either way. Not really the place to discuss my sense of humor further...

EDIT: Just received a shipping notification with a tracking number (Via FedEx). So far I'm impressed by these guys.

Quote:
How can you do a plug for their return policy when they won't let you return the item...? 
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #2,123 of 4,134
And another toy...Big boy toy this time...

A black on black set of Magnepan MMGs. The start of a new beginning for my speaker rig. Lead time is ~3 weeks. Glad I ordered sooner rather than later.

Feb 22, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #2,125 of 4,134

Quote:
And another toy...Big boy toy this time...

A black on black set of Magnepan MMGs. The start of a new beginning for my speaker rig. Lead time is ~3 weeks. Glad I ordered sooner rather than later.

had that on my list for a while but the reviews lead me to ML ESL instead, enjoy

Feb 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #2,126 of 4,134
I would've looked into Martin Logans, but even the ESL is out of budget right now. I was considering a 2k speaker budget, but cut that down significantly after I realized they wouldn't see nearly as much use as my headphones.

I am considering a ML sub to pair with the MMG though. Maybe the 500. (Down the road)
Quote:

had that on my list for a while but the reviews lead me to ML ESL instead, enjoy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back