Post pic(s) of your latest "significant" purchase(s)!!! v2.0
Jun 21, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #1,051 of 4,134
1,,~opt~customer~prod-ss5~pc2~US~4~static~images~covers~9780140280197B_jpg,00.jpg

book.JPG

9780316015844_1681X2544.jpg

The Twilight is for the niece the other two are for me.

Lost the first never had the second.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:30 AM Post #1,055 of 4,134
     Quote:
^where did you get them from? And if you don't mind me asking, how much?

I've always wondered how comfortable those are, with such a big thing hanging from your ears...

I got them from ebay for $49.99. 
biggrin.gif
 They were used but only once for 30 minutes, or so the owner says. The owner loved the sound but not enough to keep them over their form factor; he got jaybird jf3's instead. 

The body doesn't actually touch your ears at all, the nozzle is pretty long. While Etymotic focusing on comfort was definitely a smart thing it doesn't help to make them look any less rediculous on your ears and I wouldn't advise using them for running. I've never liked triple-flange tips but the black Ety foams are wonderfully comfortable. They really do sound exactly like the ER4P out of the Ipod classic though, and I've compared the two in real life. The ER4P clearly win out of better sources and and when converted to the ER4S but the Ety8 sound great; their still very relevant even today sq wise among bluetooth IEM's.

Of course; if you don't like the ety house sound then these aren't for you :p

Yes their large, but one side holds a battery that works for 8 hours and the other side holds the bluetooth sensor. The only real problem with all bluetooth headphones is longevity; most of them use tiny batteries that aren't easily replaced so make sure your buying them either new or barely used like I did so you can get your money out of them.

I wouldn't normally answer personal questions about opinions on something I don't have in my possession yet but I actually used to own these 3 years ago and returned them because the ipod adapter broke and standard bluetooth through my phone sucked so bad I thought there was no point to having them without the adapter.
Basically I regretted that decision and bought them back 
etysmile.gif

Edit: Just check ebay every so often. Someone's always putting a used or NIB pair up for $50. I saw many auctions go before I got these and chances are there will be more on again. Otherwise it will cost you $200 or more to get them NIB which isn't exactly a great value.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #1,056 of 4,134

Quote:
     Quote:

I got them from ebay for $49.99. 
biggrin.gif
 They were used but only once for 30 minutes, or so the owner says. The owner loved the sound but not enough to keep them over their form factor; he got jaybird jf3's instead. 

The body doesn't actually touch your ears at all, the nozzle is pretty long. While Etymotic focusing on comfort was definitely a smart thing it doesn't help to make them look any less rediculous on your ears and I wouldn't advise using them for running. I've never liked triple-flange tips but the black Ety foams are wonderfully comfortable. They really do sound exactly like the ER4P out of the Ipod classic though, and I've compared the two in real life. The ER4P clearly win out of better sources and and when converted to the ER4S but the Ety8 sound great; their still very relevant even today sq wise among bluetooth IEM's.

Of course; if you don't like the ety house sound then these aren't for you :p

Yes their large, but one side holds a battery that works for 8 hours and the other side holds the bluetooth sensor. The only real problem with all bluetooth headphones is longevity; most of them use tiny batteries that aren't easily replaced so make sure your buying them either new or barely used like I did so you can get your money out of them.

I wouldn't normally answer personal questions about opinions on something I don't have in my possession yet but I actually used to own these 3 years ago and returned them because the ipod adapter broke and standard bluetooth through my phone sucked so bad I thought there was no point to having them without the adapter.
Basically I regretted that decision and bought them back 
etysmile.gif

Edit: Just check ebay every so often. Someone's always putting a used or NIB pair up for $50. I saw many auctions go before I got these and chances are there will be more on again. Otherwise it will cost you $200 or more to get them NIB which isn't exactly a great value.

Thanks for the impressions. Seems like it's a good way to try the ER4's for cheap, and the ER4's are IEM's that I've been really itching to try.

Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the Ety sound or deep fit. I want to try the Ety8's but I don't think I want to spend money trying them out.

Also, I feel weird enough with TF10's sticking way out of my ears, I don't think I'd like the Ety8's in public.
biggrin.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #1,057 of 4,134
^ lol. Some day i'm definitely owning the TF10's. The most common description of them makes them sound like a real upgrade over the S4 with the same soundsig. Just wondering, do the TF10's actually have that 3D instrument placement I've read of so many times? I've been asking multiple people in order to make my own real opinion on them before I give in. 
biggrin.gif

I've gotten wild stares at my K271's space ship cups. Between the K271 and Ety8; I'm itching to find out which wins the awkward stare-inducing contest 
eek.gif

Jun 22, 2011 at 3:53 AM Post #1,058 of 4,134

Quote:
^ lol. Some day i'm definitely owning the TF10's. The most common description of them makes them sound like a real upgrade over the S4 with the same soundsig. Just wondering, do the TF10's actually have that 3D instrument placement I've read of so many times? I've been asking multiple people in order to make my own real opinion on them before I give in. 
biggrin.gif

I've gotten wild stares at my K271's space ship cups. Between the K271 and Ety8; I'm itching to find out which wins the awkward stare-inducing contest 
eek.gif

The thing I love about the TF10's is that they have amazing highs (my jaw hit the floor when I heard a violin solo) that are very detailed, but they are still able to pound out crazy amounts of bass. I turned the bass up for fun on the EQ and played Day N' Night by Kid Cudi and got a crazy headache after about a minute of listening to the song.
biggrin.gif

The mids don't sound very recessed to me though. They definitely aren't in your face like Shures are, but they don't seem too recessed (like the HJE900's).

I would also agree about the 3D instrument placement, but for me at least it seems like front to back placement is easier to distinguish than side to side placement, like all the instruments are placed in a long but narrow concert hall (if that makes any sense).

Anywho, there's my impromptu review in a completely irrelevant thread.
biggrin.gif
 All I can say is I'm definitely done with my IEM search. I like these way more than the UM3x that I had before (seemed more 'boring' to me, too analytical). I think I'll hang on to these for a long time. My next IEM purchase is probably going to be another pair of TF10's if I can get them for $90 if they have the deal this year.

Jun 22, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #1,061 of 4,134
Quote:
The thing I love about the TF10's is that they have amazing highs (my jaw hit the floor when I heard a violin solo) that are very detailed, but they are still able to pound out crazy amounts of bass. I turned the bass up for fun on the EQ and played Day N' Night by Kid Cudi and got a crazy headache after about a minute of listening to the song.
biggrin.gif

The mids don't sound very recessed to me though. They definitely aren't in your face like Shures are, but they don't seem too recessed (like the HJE900's).

I would also agree about the 3D instrument placement, but for me at least it seems like front to back placement is easier to distinguish than side to side placement, like all the instruments are placed in a long but narrow concert hall (if that makes any sense).

Anywho, there's my impromptu review in a completely irrelevant thread.
biggrin.gif
 All I can say is I'm definitely done with my IEM search. I like these way more than the UM3x that I had before (seemed more 'boring' to me, too analytical). I think I'll hang on to these for a long time. My next IEM purchase is probably going to be another pair of TF10's if I can get them for $90 if they have the deal this year.

Thanks. This is about what I've heard of them from multiple people now so it looks like there is no excuse anymore. Now i'm gonna have to add the TF10 and D2000 to my collection at some point, as well as the yuin ok1 (for a very airy/open sounding portable/and because I love earbuds :) to my collection. Not to mention there are others too...I think head-fi has already begun to destroy me =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back